Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 - buy now or wait until E3

endofworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Duders,

I can't make up my own damn mind so look to you all for thoughts - buy a PS4 now or wait until E3.

On one hand I really want to play Bloodborne and PS4s are pretty consistently on sale for ~$350-360. On the other hand I think there's a high probability of a permanent price drop announcement at E3. It would also be nice to wait and confirm if a new version or more desirable bundle is announced. I don't have a ton of disposable income at the moment so I need to make sure I purchase wisely and what's another 2.5 months... but you know... Bloodborne.

Additional info to take into account:

• I'm a PS+ member and have been adding PS4 games when they come up.
    • I have a beefy gaming PC and a Wii U to fulfill current gaming needs.
    • I own a vita so I already have access to a lot of crossplay indie games
    • The only PS4 games I'm really jonesing for are Bloodborne and Diablo 3 (playing through with friends). Demon/Dark Souls are among my favorite games.
    pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There won't be a price drop and if there is it's going to go down to 350 to match xbox. Since you can already get one for 350 go for it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Wait til Easter, which is now a shopping holiday with plenty of sales.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am in an identical situation. I've decided to wait 'till E3 and clear games from my backlog while doing so (I did put a PS4 in my Amazon shopping basket 3-4 times before deciding...).

While I'd get use out of a PS4 eventually, only Bloodborne and Type-0 really interest me at the moment, and while E3 isn't exactly close, there's nothing else between it and Bloodborne...

I intend to use some more announcements to justify a purchase, or hold off longer if they announce a hardware revision or something crazy.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can't see a price drop. PS4 is back on top of the XB1 in the sales charts so there is absolutely no reason for them to drop the price.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By emfromthesea

Just hold off 'till E3. Bloodborne will still exist a few months from now. At the very least, E3 will hopefully provide more incentives for you to purchase the console.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Sony will probably try to ride out the $400 price tag as long as they can. I don't think it's going to get a permanent reduction until late next year or so. They may try something similar to the Xbox One and drop it by $50 "for a limited time**" or something but since you're already seeing them for that price it probably doesn't matter.

I guess I'd say it depends on how much justification you need to feel comfortable buying the thing. If you can't live without Bloodborne and feel like eventually there will be more games you want for it, go for it. If not, it couldn't hurt to wait.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I mean... I dont feel there are going to be too many surprises at E3 this year. We might hear some news that the new Titanfall will be on PS4 this year, maybe some Uncharted news, new Gran turismo, and possibly a new god of war game. I would be genuinely surprised if we saw anything else other than that.

FrankNelson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something I try to do. Make a list of games that are currently out that you want to play for that system. If the list of games currently out is higher than the games not yet out go ahead and buy it. I'm not a Sony guy , even though I have a Vita, but it seems to be rather popular and people seem to be happy with it.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

E3 2015 is looking to be meh. Up to you, really. If you really want Bloodborne then go for it, and enjoy yourself.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You might as well wait but given how the PS4 is selling I wouldn't expect a price drop. It's at over 20 million shipped now I think and units are moving faster than any PlayStation in history. Given the articles I've read about the PS4's power consumption in relation to TSMC's node improvements I don't think we'll be seeing a slim version this year either.

endofworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 - didn't even think there may be sales with easter coming up. good point.

@franknelson - good point on released games vs future games. My list is lopsided towards unreleased games.

@sunbrozak - you're like my conscience. funny with your SOTC icon that you mention game announcements as inventives. Last Guardian release date ever?

@mwng - i've added a ps4 to cart a bunch of times too. Target sale, groupon, and on amazon. Pro tip from an email marketer - I sometimes add stuff to cart on sites and don't purchase intentionally. Lots of sites do abandon cart emails with incentives and those are enough to push me over the edge.

Thanks for everyone that chimed in. I'm leaning towards waiting for the perfect sale as I wait for any news at E3. Better than $350 online with no tax would prob do it. Even if nothing of interest comes from E3 I bet I could snag a sale on BB with the extra time I waited.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

If you can wait until E3, wait until the next major holiday and see if they announce a sale/bundle. The games that are out aren't going anywhere, and you seem pretty set on buying one anyway, so you might as well wait for a nice sale.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wait until there are enough good games on it that you want to play.

"Buy consoles for games, not games for consoles"

misterz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Demon / Dark Souls are your favorite games I would buy one now rather than wait for E3. As you know these games are the best when the community is figuring them out together in the beginning (at least I think so). I believe Bloodborne warrants a purchase.

I think you have the ideal setup for gaming with a PC, Wii U, Vita, and PS4. I was going to buy a Wii U and for some reason changed my mind at the last minute (mostly due to Halo MCC) and bought a Xbox One. What a fucking mistake. Now it sits and is the king of no play.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If you really want Bloodborne and you want to be a part of the discovery zeitgeist then I'd go ahead and get it now. They might announce a new bundle or something but there won't be a price drop at E3; they're still outselling Microsoft even with a higher price.

In short: you already have a PC, so either buy the PS4 now for Bloodborne's release, or wait until the end of the year for holiday sales and bundles.

SkipperSonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm over here trying to hold out for the inevitable 1GB redesign.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.