Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 / PS Exclusives from old gens

agenta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By agenta

So I'm finally going to use my PS4 for something more than a netflix / blu-ray player. I mainly play games on the PC but with the release of Horizon and the outstanding reviews it's gotten I've decided I might have been missing some gems that have come out on consoles only.

My PS4 has been used for practically no gaming since I bought it specifically to play Kingdom Hearts 2.8, but I wanted to wait for the remasters of the final mixes to come to PS4 before playing 2.8. Here is a list of games I've missed over the years that I should play, but I'm looking for more suggestions from you guys. Essentially if I can get it on my PS4 I'm interested!

• Nathan Drake Collection
    • Uncharted 4
    • The Last of Us Remastered
    • Bloodborne
    • Horizon Zero Dawn
    • Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5
    • Kingdom Hearts 2.8
    • Journey
    Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Until Dawn, Nioh, Persona 5

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By odinsmana

Yakuza 0

Tearaway Unfolded (Not great, but decent)

agenta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By agenta

@dave_tacitus: Thanks for the suggestions! What is the big draw of Persona? I know the duders seem crazy about it, and I admit I haven't watched a ton of content on it, but what makes it the must buy it's being made out to be?

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@agenta: Just to jump in on the Persona thing:

• Persona games have great aesthetics. Persona 5 is by far the best looking game in the series. Sometimes when I'm playing it, I think of how this is one of the best looking games I've ever played. Not from a "most graphics" perspective, but from an art, character design, animation style, and of course that ssssttyyyyyyyyyyyyyllleee. Additionally these games have great soundtracks. Persona 5 in particular has an incredibly cohesive soundtrack that ranges from great sleuthing music to jazz.
    • The biggest draw for me is the story and characters. Each game has a number of Social Links (or Confidants in Persona 5) where you learn about people's backstories and befriend them. This can range from people trying to improve themselves to people dealing with loss. Each Social Link is its own self contained short story in the much larger game. Each game has had its own story, themes, and tone, so it's not super easy to summarize what type of overall stories these games have. That said, their stories are overall really impressive. In particular, Persona 3 has probably the best climax to a game I've ever seen, while Persona 4 has one of the most bittersweet scenes in just about anything.
    • The core of these games, aside just from the narrative arc, is the combination of social and dungeon crawling aspects. With Persona 5, these are more entwined than ever before. Also, this game is less of a dungeon crawler than previous entries, with more fixed dungeons that include more puzzles, exploration sequences, and set pieces. The social aspects include going to school, meeting friends, raising your stats, etc. The battle system is a typical JRPG battle system with a mix of Pokemon, where you alternate between different Personas that each have their own strengths, weaknesses, and abilities. These games don't have one gameplay loop, but more like 4 or 5 that come and go depending on what you are doing. (There are some weeks where you do a lot of dungeon crawling, and some where you just do social stuff)

It's worth noting that I'm a super Persona fan. Persona 4 is my favorite game period, and Persona 3 is not that far behind. Right now I'm about 60 hours into Persona 5. While I haven't finished Persona 5, I'm loving just about everything. If Persona 5 keeps it up, there is a strong possibility Persona 5 may also be one of my favorite games of all time. (Hopefully saying out loud doesn't jinx anything...)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I assume you would play Nier: Automata on PC? Otherwise that. I'll second Nioh and Persona 5 as great exclusives. The Odin Sphere remaster might also be worth playing if you never got around to that on the Ps2.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By DinosaurCanada

Don't sleep on Ratchet and Clank (2016), its fun and looks gorgeous!

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't stress how great Until Dawn is

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@agenta: Just to jump in on the Persona thing:

• Persona games have great aesthetics. Persona 5 is by far the best looking game in the series. Sometimes when I'm playing it, I think of how this is one of the best looking games I've ever played. Not from a "most graphics" perspective, but from an art, character design, animation style, and of course that ssssttyyyyyyyyyyyyyllleee. Additionally these games have great soundtracks. Persona 5 in particular has an incredibly cohesive soundtrack that ranges from great sleuthing music to jazz.
    • The biggest draw for me is the story and characters. Each game has a number of Social Links (or Confidants in Persona 5) where you learn about people's backstories and befriend them. This can range from people trying to improve themselves to people dealing with loss. Each Social Link is its own self contained short story in the much larger game. Each game has had its own story, themes, and tone, so it's not super easy to summarize what type of overall stories these games have. That said, their stories are overall really impressive. In particular, Persona 3 has probably the best climax to a game I've ever seen, while Persona 4 has one of the most bittersweet scenes in just about anything.
    • The core of these games, aside just from the narrative arc, is the combination of social and dungeon crawling aspects. With Persona 5, these are more entwined than ever before. Also, this game is less of a dungeon crawler than previous entries, with more fixed dungeons that include more puzzles, exploration sequences, and set pieces. The social aspects include going to school, meeting friends, raising your stats, etc. The battle system is a typical JRPG battle system with a mix of Pokemon, where you alternate between different Personas that each have their own strengths, weaknesses, and abilities. These games don't have one gameplay loop, but more like 4 or 5 that come and go depending on what you are doing. (There are some weeks where you do a lot of dungeon crawling, and some where you just do social stuff)

It's worth noting that I'm a super Persona fan. Persona 4 is my favorite game period, and Persona 3 is not that far behind. Right now I'm about 60 hours into Persona 5. While I haven't finished Persona 5, I'm loving just about everything. If Persona 5 keeps it up, there is a strong possibility Persona 5 may also be one of my favorite games of all time. (Hopefully saying out loud doesn't jinx anything...)

I just want to chime in and second everything clagnaught said. Persona is all that and a bag of chips. Persona 5 is so good, in fact, that I have no idea why I'm typing out this message instead of playing it right now.

agenta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By agenta

@tobbrobb: NieR most likely will be on PC. People are raving about it, but I don't know if I'm sold on it yet. How is Odin Sphere, I never had it on Ps2, was more into the sports games at that point.

@clagnaught:Thanks for that write-up! Is there any reason to say play 3 or 4 before 5?

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agenta said:

Is there any reason to say play 3 or 4 before 5?

They're great games, so yes. But that's it. There is no notable narrative connection between 5 and the prior entries. You will not be confused by the game due to not having prior experience with the series.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@agenta: There's no reason to play Persona 3 and 4 before 5, in the sense that they are standalone games with different characters and stories. There are a couple of connections here and there (like Igor and the Velvet Room appear in all of the games), but this is not a Metal Gear Solid where it constantly references previous games.

Arguably Persona 5 is the best as an actual videogame in terms of mechanics and what people are expecting in the year 2017, so newcomers may prefer P5 over the previous games. That said, I still highly recommend all three of them. (Persona 1 and 2 are completely different games that are archaic by today's standards)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@agenta: Odin Sphere is kind of a sidescrolling hack and slash/rpg hybrid. You kill shit with action combat and level up. It's mostly notable for art style and music, but the story ain't bad either.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Just a heads up, the Drake Collection and The Last of Us are in the current flash sale for $8 a piece. So snag em now while the getting is good.

As for games to try, i would recommend the Last Guardian. But know that that game has many flaws, mostly related to the gameplay. But story/gameplay wise is trying to do things similar to the other team Ico games, if you are into those sort of games. So i cant recommend it as a "must buy" for those reasons, but worth checking out if you find it for cheap.

agenta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

toopopplio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By toopopplio

Mark of Kri. Seriously the best game released on PS2 (except maybe for Def Jam: Fight for NY) and you can buy it on PS4 now.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agenta: Didnt think about the fact you might not be in the same region when i posted, but if you are in North America try this link

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Jak and Daxter, Jak 2, Jak3 and Jak X Combat Racing are all going to be coming to the PS4.

I've never played the racing one but I loved Jak and Daxter and Jak 2. Some of my favorite games as a kid. I highly recommend playing Jak and Daxter. Jak 2 involves similar combat mechanics with the addition of four different guns that are upgradable throughout the game. It's got some fun platforming too with great set pieces.

@lego_my_eggo: There are some amazing deals in that sale. Wolfenstein is only ~$5

agenta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lego_my_eggo: Grabbed both The Last of Us and Nathan Drake collection, thanks for the heads up! I had been looking on amazon where they were both $20.

I've thought about grabbing Jak & Daxter. I wasn't super into them as a kid but my cousin was so I played them a bit, just never owned them myself.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

This is my current list but I think most of it has been covered in this thread alreasy.

PS4 Exclusives list

ChasinTheTrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You've already got quite a backlog to play through. I would stop building that up and just get to playing games! Play The Last Of Us first -- it's incredible.

agenta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chasinthetrane: Ha, definitely agree there, on both PC and PS4. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any gems I was missing so I could play them before they age too much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.