Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Q: PS4 for kids?

vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Looking at picking up a PS4 for my 4 nephews (ages 5-15) for Christmas. However, they're not going to be able to play any M rated games. I think the two older nephews would appreciate a non-Nintendo console; but how much does the the platform offer in regards to good E, E10, and T games? So, if you could list some good games with those ratings, it'd help a lot in the decision making.

Thinking of getting the Uncharted bundle, a second controller, and a few cheaper games such as LBP3, Bastion (if, I can find where to buy a digital code), Child of Light, and/or Grow Home. (Not set on any of these, if you think there are better games.) I'm trying to keep it under $400 and I think I can manage that with Black Friday deals.

They own a Wii U. So, I'm looking for games that aren't available on that platform as part of making this decision.

Additionally, and maybe this isn't a great forum to ask, but is XB1 a better second system for that age range?

I appreciate any help with making this decision.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Rocket League for sure. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is actually fun. Injustice: Gods Among Us was a kick for me and my friends. I can see it being a hit with kids of your nephews' age as well.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

n++ maybe? Havent played it myself but looks challenging amd addictive enough while still kid friendly.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

XB1 vs PS4 really comes down to which of the older kids have friends that play on the same system. As for PS4, Rocket League is a great suggestion, and it's even on sale right now. Tearaway would also work nicely for the younger kids. If they would be allowed to play online, Star Wars Battlefront has a T rating. It's probably about as non-offensive to parents as online multiplayer shooters can get.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say that the Xbox 1 is indeed a better console for that age range. One has to understand that PS4 has really been struggling in the first party department. Xbox hasn't gotten a lot of notable titles, but things like Zoo Tycoon are definitely aiming for a family/all ages market that Sony isn't even attempting to capture.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@bananasfoster said:

I would say that the Xbox 1 is indeed a better console for that age range. One has to understand that PS4 has really been struggling in the first party department. Xbox hasn't gotten a lot of notable titles, but things like Zoo Tycoon are definitely aiming for a family/all ages market that Sony isn't even attempting to capture.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/wiki/games#wiki_all_upcoming_titles

Little Big Planet 3, Tearaway Unfolded, Hohokum, new Ratchet and Clank, The Last Guardian, Fat Princess Adventures, No Man's Sky, Gravity Rush Remastered. And those are just some of the E or T rated first party exclusive titles.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bananasfoster said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/wiki/games#wiki_all_upcoming_titles

Little Big Planet 3, Tearaway Unfolded, Hohokum, new Ratchet and Clank, The Last Guardian, Fat Princess Adventures, No Man's Sky, Gravity Rush Remastered. And those are just some of the E or T rated first party exclusive titles.

Loading Video...

He nailed it

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 j_unit2008  Online

I don't know if anyone has mentioned these but Tearaway and Little Big Planet 3.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The LEGO games would also be great for the younger ones.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes is a lot of fun even for adults.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Let my nephews borrow my PS4 last week (they're 6 and 8). They can't stop playing Injustice and Rocket League.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: When I was looking online, it was T on the ESRB site.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=34073&Title=UNCHARTED%20The%20Nathan%20Drake%20Collection

Is it a T bordering M? I haven't played anything in the series, but I figured they were supposed to be on par with an Indiana Jones movie.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@vaultboy said:

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=34073&Title=UNCHARTED%20The%20Nathan%20Drake%20Collection

Is it a T bordering M? I haven't played anything in the series, but I figured they were supposed to be on par with an Indiana Jones movie.

You don't headshot 1000 dudes in an Indiana Jones movie :P

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaultboy said:

There's a lot of realistic violence. You shoot dudes and there's blood. There are stealth kills with you snapping necks and such. There's also swearing and some minor sexual stuff. Doesn't really make sense to me how Uncharted is T and Halo is M.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kedi2

@hunkulese: To be fair, Halo 5 is T. But I agree, previous Halo games did not feel more deserving of an M rating than some T games like Uncharted and Batman to me.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

maybe grab a fighting game like Ultra Street Fighters IV.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thomasnash

@kedi2 said:

@hunkulese: To be fair, Halo 5 is T. But I agree, previous Halo games did not feel more deserving of an M rating than some T games like Uncharted and Batman to me.

Ratings can be a bit strange, I think, because it's not necessarily about the average experience, but the very worst the disc has to offer. If there's a rule that the c-word is an instant M, then even having a c-word in a piece of incidental dialogue that you have to stand still for five minutes to hear, that's an M. cf Hot Coffee. That's my understanding anyway.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Justin258

@vaultboy: Aren't the Uncharted games M?

Edit: looks like this has already been discussed. Those games are pretty rough for young children, though.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaultboy: I think they are on the upper side of the T rating, considering Drake spent most of the first levels in Uncharted 2 with a bloody injury on his abdomen, and by the end he kills enough people to populate a small town. It has not MK levels of violence, and what is has will not bother your 15 years old nephew, but it may not be suitable for a 5 years old.

The LEGO games (LEGO Marvel Super Heroes or LEGO Batman 3) seem like the safest option...

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, kids seem to love them T-bag shooters, so maybe an Xbone with CoD, Halo, Titanfall, Gears and Destiny would be in order.

Seriously though, Lego games, Little Big Planet, Tearaway, King's Quest, Knack, Rocket League, Injustice, Broken Age, Guacamelee, Grow Home, Galak-Z, Peggle 2, Nidhogg, Rogue Legacy, Sound Shapes, Spelunky, SteamWorld Dig, Resogun, OlliOlli 2, Street Fighter, Trials, Armello, OctoDad, assorted other Indie games, there's a lot on the PS4 that would be appropriate for some young kids.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OurSin_360

@believer258 said:

@vaultboy: Aren't the Uncharted games M?

Edit: looks like this has already been discussed. Those games are pretty rough for young children, though.

Uncharted games are all rated T, and my nephew played through them when he was between like 6-9 or something so they aren't that tough. They don't curse that much more than a pg movie these days, and there isn't a ton of blood even if there is a lot of shooting.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both the x1 and ps4 have minecraft, fifa, Lego, Skylanders, and NFS.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, kids seem to love them T-bag shooters, so maybe an Xbone with CoD, Halo, Titanfall, Gears and Destiny would be in order.

Seriously though, Lego games, Little Big Planet, Tearaway, King's Quest, Knack, Rocket League, Injustice, Broken Age, Guacamelee, Grow Home, Galak-Z, Peggle 2, Nidhogg, Rogue Legacy, Sound Shapes, Spelunky, SteamWorld Dig, Resogun, OlliOlli 2, Street Fighter, Trials, Armello, OctoDad, assorted other Indie games, there's a lot on the PS4 that would be appropriate for some young kids.

Interestingly enough, it's impossible to T-bag anyone in multiplayer Call of Duty. After you kill someone, they'll be viewing a kill cam with what happened right before their death. Modes without a kill cam just respawn you instantly.

Still definitely not appropriate for little kids, though. The latest game has lots of violence and profanity, even in multiplayer.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: You learn something new everyday I suppose. But yeah, the first part was a joke.

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would go for a PS4 both have around the sames in terms of games for kid's but i think sony has a better first party line up in that age range with tearaway, knack, little big planet and racket and clank.

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both the x1 and ps4 have minecraft, fifa, Lego, Skylanders, and NFS.

Biggest difference is PS4 also has ratchet and clank and other first party games for a younger audience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.