Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Questions about Share button stuff.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

Ok I just recently got a PS4. Was wondering if I am correct in how I think the share button stuff works.

PS4 is always recording the last 15 min of gameplay. If you press the share button it saves the last 15 even if you don't upload anything or if you just do a screen shot. I'm assuming that it will delete old footage after awhile if you don't do anything with it.

The big thing I am wondering is if the gameplay DVR feature is disabled while you stream to twitch/ustream.

and if so that is kind of stupid cause what if something awesome happens while you're streaming and twitch wont archive PS4 streams so that awesome thing will just be lost if you're streaming but if you hit share while not streaming its saved. makes streaming seem totally useless.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Zirilius

Ok I just recently got a PS4. Was wondering if I am correct in how I think the share button stuff works.

PS4 is always recording the last 15 min of gameplay. If you press the share button it saves the last 15 even if you don't upload anything or if you just do a screen shot. I'm assuming that it will delete old footage after awhile if you don't do anything with it.

The big thing I am wondering is if the gameplay DVR feature is disabled while you stream to twitch/ustream.

and if so that is kind of stupid cause what if something awesome happens while you're streaming and twitch wont archive PS4 streams so that awesome thing will just be lost if you're streaming but if you hit share while not streaming its saved. makes streaming seem totally useless.

Nope it still archives the last 15 minutes even when streaming.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Devil240Z

@zirilius: thats great news. Though how do you get at that stuff while streaming? cause if you hit share while streaming it just gives you streaming options.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Has anyone actually noticed their PS4 NOT recording every 15 minutes? A lot of the recordings archived on my hard drive are less than a minute long, and some games haven't archived for days.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

@nodima: I still find it buggy.

Though apparently doing a certain kind of reset after patches helps.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Zirilius

@zirilius: thats great news. Though how do you get at that stuff while streaming? cause if you hit share while streaming it just gives you streaming options.

I'll look when I get home but I believe if you go to the uploads menu in the notifications hub it'll list there.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By cloudymusic

@nodima said:

Has anyone actually noticed their PS4 NOT recording every 15 minutes? A lot of the recordings archived on my hard drive are less than a minute long, and some games haven't archived for days.

Yes, there was another topic somewhere asking about this too. There have been a number of occasions where I've pushed the Share button, only to find that the recorded video clip ends a few minutes prior to where I was, and/or wasn't even a full 15 minutes long. Manually starting a new recording (by double-tapping the button) is sort of useless because the whole point of the feature is to record something that just happened, without any advance notice. It definitely seems a little unreliable, and I've lost footage of some funny stuff multiple times due to that, so I hope they get it smoothed out soon.

-Cipher-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PS4 sometimes doesn't record the past 15 minutes, it records ending from like five minutes ago and cuts out the most recent footage. Share button is very unreliable for me.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By matt_f606

I think the developers can turn of the DVR at any point during gameplay. Some may not allow you upload cut scenes for example.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I were a 'serious' streamer or youtuber - that is, with more than a casual interest, streaming on a schedule, editing my videos and vying for twitch partner/youtube monetization, I think i'd be pulling direct footage onto a PC and ignoring the streaming/share functions completely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.