Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

The Touch Pad

Faltru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

What do you guys think of the touch pad on the controller?

I assume that it will mostly just be used for menu navigation and things like that, for which it seems useful. I have heard some people expressing concern about it being used in gameplay though.

Any thoughts?

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

EYE Pad

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Until I hold it I can't say too much but at this point I'm not sure about the design. It seems like it would be a pain to try and hit the middle of the touch pad and so if it's just used for menu navigation that won't be too bad but using it for gameplay could be a problem. Though if its only for menu navigation what's wrong with the sticks we've already got?

Faltru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I can see it being slightly better for menu navigation, but who knows. If it can be pressed down like the trackpad on a laptop that could be useful.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It will probably be for mini-games and similar things like that, right? I can't see it being that much of a big feature, sort of like how sixaxis turned out.

I'm just glad that there is rumble this time around, haha.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

maybe as a mouse in the built-in browser? or for gestures for an angry birds type game?

It feels kinda useless. like the backtouch on the Vita: I feel like they could have shaved a few bucks and not put that stuff in there.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I didn't even think about it being used in gameplay. I just thought it would constantly display the Playstation menu for quick navigation between games and apps and powering down the system or whatever.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dualshock 3 had rumble, but forreal even if it's just for menu's it should be cool, quick and easy lol

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The options button on the right side is supposedly used to replace start and select so the pad should have more use than just menu navigation, I find it interesting that it wraps over the top of the controller, I don't know if that's significant at all.

Could be a whole new system menu we don't know about yet, like a HUD element that can pop up during gameplay but doesn't take away control from the game. Maybe you hit share, a little window pops up, you swipe through some options tap on record and away you go. Either way the rest of the features seem very purposeful and focused, so I can't imagine it's just tacked on.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm thinking of that touch pad as a context-sensitive button you can program or is programmed by the game itself, Optimus Maximus-style.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm not interested in the touch pad at all. It would be fine if it were only being used for menu navigation, etc, but you just know Sony is encouraging developers to shoehorn it into all sorts of places where it doesn't fit. For reference, see the majority of Vita launch games.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

How about web browsing, menu navigation and pinch-to-zoom in-game map control. Sounds good to me.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm having a hard time thinking of what it would be used for. Hopefully it's actually useful.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgf said:

How about web browsing, menu navigation and pinch-to-zoom in-game map control. Sounds good to me.

This. It will add another layer of depth to control in games and could potentially allow for more mouse-oriented games like RTSs to be brought across to the system.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

The controller itself looks fine, but the touchpad is giving me sixaxis flashbacks/nightmares. I'm curious what the degree of sensitivity will be.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sodapop7 said:

It seems like it would be a pain to try and hit the middle of the touch pad and so if it's just used for menu navigation that won't be too bad but using it for gameplay could be a problem.

Next time you're holding a Dualshock swipe the middle as if it were a touch pad. Feels pretty natural.

platina32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evo said:

@sodapop7 said:

It seems like it would be a pain to try and hit the middle of the touch pad and so if it's just used for menu navigation that won't be too bad but using it for gameplay could be a problem.

Next time you're holding a Dualshock swipe the middle as if it were a touch pad. Feels pretty natural.

Though the DS4 seems wider, so I don't know whether the feel will be the same. And this actually worries me, because I like the feel of the DS3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.