Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Well, add another broken ps4 to the list

Heshtodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Heshtodd

I bought my ps4 online and received it on the 15th of November. System worked great out of the box up until tonight 12/9. I was playing AC4 and all of a sudden the screen froze with all sorts of green square glitches accompanied by a horrendous screeching sound coming out of the speakers. I shut it down, let it sit for a bit then powered up to see the glowing blue light not change to white and nothing appearing on the tv. Looked up the steps to fix on the Sony site and nothing worked. Doesn't reset to safe mode, no sound, no screen, nothing. It's too late tonight to contact Sony so I will tomorrow and most likely will have to ship it back.

Lately I haven't had much time for games and honestly when I have found time I have prefered to play the pc due to the lack of titles on ps4. But there was a nagging voice in my mind telling me to play the ps4 to make sure it wasn't one of these defects that I have recently heard about. Glad I did. Played a good 20-30 or so hours of various games over a matter of days on the machine before it crashed. Thought I was safe from the blue light but glad I found out earlier than later. The main reason for this post is to warn my fellow GB friends, If you have a ps4 play it for awhile before you feel safe.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

That sucks dude. I just got mine tonight. The very first time I booted Resogun the damn thing froze and was worried something similar would happen. I'm hoping that was a fluke. Hope you get your shit taken care of.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So basically you're warning people that electronic devices can break?

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All launch consoles are ticking time bombs, it really isn't a matter of if more of a matter of when they're going to go.

The best thing to do is to just tell Sony/Microsoft that your consoles bricked at the end of the warranty and hope you get a post launch unit in return.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xalienxgreyx: I don't know about that. There are still people around who still have launch 360's. You just need to get really lucky and get a good build.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xalienxgreyx: I don't know about that. There are still people around who still have launch 360's. You just need to get really lucky and get a good build.

I would be under the impression that they're so few in number that my point still stands

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Sounds like a fried GPU, or I guess in this case a fried APU. Sucks dude.

Heshtodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: Thanks man. I played a lot of Resogun and it never froze on me. Actually never had a problem with freezing before tonight. I hope you have better luck than I did. I'm just worried now that my replacement may do the same. Hope not that many more of these cases pop up.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By TheHBK

I would actually contact whoever you bought it from since it is still within the 30 day return. Easier to ship it back to them as a return or exchange instead of dealing with sony and if you get a new one with them, run through the course again of testing it again and get a reset on that 1 year warranty from Sony.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Nekroskop

That blows. That reminds that the more advanced and powerful the systems get, the more chance there is of breaking them. Personally I'd rather wait until Sony fixes the kinks. Paying 400 bucks to beta-testing hardware is a bit steep for my wallet.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Anything like this warrants sympathy but we have to know by now that launch hardware has a tendency to be less reliable than later iterations. It may not be right, but it's how it is. I still bought a launch PS4 but if it malfunctions, I'll just play games on my PS3 backlog while waiting for a coffin to arrive ;)

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I had that same exact visual glitch problem with my old ps3, just without the blue light. Definitely a broken gpu. Hope you can replace it soon.

Heshtodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Heshtodd

Thanks everyone for feeling my pain. I contacted Sony through chat on their site and they are sending a box for me to return my busted ps4. From what the e-mail explained I believe I should have it back next week. The process was quite painless and handled quickly as if this is occurring often. Just hope my problem isn't widespread.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@heshtodd said:

I bought my ps4 online and received it on the 15th of November. System worked great out of the box up until tonight 12/9. I was playing AC4 and all of a sudden the screen froze with all sorts of green square glitches accompanied by a horrendous screeching sound coming out of the speakers.

Hah. Those green artifacts are exactly how AC3 on PC broke for me. The game was so unplayable it'd crash within 30 minutes of launch. Interesting to see that AC4 on these new "more PC like" consoles crashes in a similar way.

On PC it was shitty Nvidia drivers causing the issue, although these machines have AMD cards so the thing probably just straight up died.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sucks for you. The only console I ever had go out on me was a launch model 360 about 3 years after I bought it (covered under warranty at the time). My PS4, X1, PS3, 360 elite, Vita, 3DS XL, primary gaming PC, and gaming class laptop all continue to work like champs. Take better care of your crap.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By SharkEthic

@shadowskill11: Take better care of your crap? The guy was playing AC4 when it broke, not juggling the fucking thing. Don't be a dick.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You found the hidden Animus mini-game. Enjoy it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowskill11: Jesus dude really? He was using thr console as it was intended and it broke on him. If it was going to break it was going to break no need to be a dick about it.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never had a system fail on me except a Gamecube but that was because I would haul it back and forth due to my living situation at the time and throw it in a bag and it messed up the disc drive. But seriously I own NES, Gameboy pocket, GBA, SNES, Genesis, PS2, DS, 3DS, Dreamcast, (Newer) Gamecube, N64, and PS4 and all work super fine.

Heshtodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Heshtodd

You found the hidden Animus mini-game. Enjoy it.

Thanks, that gave me a chuckle.:)

Heshtodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's real nice. Today I received the box from Sony to ship my PS4. Overnight shipping sounds good to me. Had to print out a receipt and fill out a small form, not too hard. I'll update this forum just to record the process for anyone else interested. Also, I have known how to take care of computers/consoles since a young child. So my PS4 failure had nothing to do with negligence. Ask my Apple IIc...shit still works :)

Khronikos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Khronikos

Mine acted weird once today. Unplugged the damn thing from the back while it had its light on and powered on. It worked.

Going off my last MGS phat which didn't even make 2 years FFS I don't expect this to last 5 years I will tell you that. Heat is nowhere near that phat so it should at least break two years. If it does well then huzzah. I keep mine on a metal rack with plenty of cool air. So it won't be me killing it.

Heshtodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Heshtodd

My Ps4 was received Monday morning in TX and shipped Monday afternoon. Tracking number shows I should expect delivery Tuesday. Pretty fast, I assume they swapped my hd to a new machine? Either way I'm happy the return was handled so quick.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's good for you & good to know.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heshtodd said:

My Ps4 was received Monday morning in TX and shipped Monday afternoon. Tracking number shows I should expect delivery Tuesday. Pretty fast, I assume they swapped my hd to a new machine? Either way I'm happy the return was handled so quick.

Hmm I wouldn't bank on that. You'll most likely just get a brand new one.

Heshtodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Received my Ps4. Brand new one with new hd. Lost progress but that's fine. All in all it went smooth.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By l4wd0g

That sucks duder. Sony was overnighting the coffin and hopefully you'll get a replacement soon.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh man, that's the worst. Sounds like the GPU had a stroke. Best of luck on the replacement!

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By freakin9

I still have chills thinking about the amount of times I had to return my Xbox 360 to Microsoft. (I believe it was close to 11, maybe 7 is the right answer, I'm honestly just trying to forget it all at this point). They even gave me a bunch of free stuff, and called me directly to try to smooth things over.

I don't think I'll ever get a ps4 or xbox one however, unless some amazing advances in videogame hockey come about that give me wood.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.