Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

Actions Against Sony: Sound and Fury or Will They Have an Impact?

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By soldierg654342

I'm sure by now that I don't fill you in on the details. To make a long story short, since PSN was breached Sony has been awash in a slew of   potential fines and  class-action  lawsuits, not to mention a  Congressional Inquiry and now possibly a  subpoena.

Initially, I was ready to write off the whole mess as a very unfortunate occurrence that would eventually fade into memory. But now it seems that the rabble rousing has picked up quite a large amount of steam, with some of it coming from surprising sources. I'm beginning  to wonder now if this is something that can be so easily recovered from, especially now with the hack of SOE.

I'm not positing that Sony is on the precipice of ruin. They have enough other arms of their corporation that have not been effected by this that can continue to support them. I am beginning to wonder though that, should things not go favorably for them for the rest of the PS3's lifespan, if we are looking at the last major Sony console.

This is hardly the first time Sony has had issues with security. The PSP was such and insecure platform that it was abandoned by developers. I highly doubt that the PS3 will the in a similar state now, but from a security standpoint, the Sony brand name has been severely damadged. Going forward into the next generation of consoles, Sony is going to have to crunch the numbers to see if investing in air-tight, bullet-proof security is going to be worth it. It doesn't make business sense to dump all that money into a product that won't turn a profit, and the improved hardware on top of the added security is only going to drive the price of the machine up further, which is the primary reason the PS3 has such a limping start. Combine a high cost of entry with a wounded brand name, and you're looking at a potential disaster. 

Sony is a corporation, and corporations have to make money. And I'm beginning to wonder if gaming is going to continue to be a profitable venture for Sony. 
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By soldierg654342

I'm sure by now that I don't fill you in on the details. To make a long story short, since PSN was breached Sony has been awash in a slew of   potential fines and  class-action  lawsuits, not to mention a  Congressional Inquiry and now possibly a  subpoena.

Initially, I was ready to write off the whole mess as a very unfortunate occurrence that would eventually fade into memory. But now it seems that the rabble rousing has picked up quite a large amount of steam, with some of it coming from surprising sources. I'm beginning  to wonder now if this is something that can be so easily recovered from, especially now with the hack of SOE.

I'm not positing that Sony is on the precipice of ruin. They have enough other arms of their corporation that have not been effected by this that can continue to support them. I am beginning to wonder though that, should things not go favorably for them for the rest of the PS3's lifespan, if we are looking at the last major Sony console.

This is hardly the first time Sony has had issues with security. The PSP was such and insecure platform that it was abandoned by developers. I highly doubt that the PS3 will the in a similar state now, but from a security standpoint, the Sony brand name has been severely damadged. Going forward into the next generation of consoles, Sony is going to have to crunch the numbers to see if investing in air-tight, bullet-proof security is going to be worth it. It doesn't make business sense to dump all that money into a product that won't turn a profit, and the improved hardware on top of the added security is only going to drive the price of the machine up further, which is the primary reason the PS3 has such a limping start. Combine a high cost of entry with a wounded brand name, and you're looking at a potential disaster. 

Sony is a corporation, and corporations have to make money. And I'm beginning to wonder if gaming is going to continue to be a profitable venture for Sony. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.