Should I change or cancel my credit card?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by iamtirrrred (114 posts) -

Should I change or cancel my credit card information, just to be safe? I am starting to get worried, (!!BIG TIME!!)

#2 Posted by Troncek (254 posts) -

Wouldn't hurt.

#3 Posted by iamtirrrred (114 posts) -
@Troncek said:

" Wouldn't hurt. "

Thanks, I am doing it right now!    
#4 Posted by Crono11 (1650 posts) -

Cancelling it can hurt your credit, just change it.

#5 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -

I did it right away...they send you a new number, you're without a card for a week or so, no biggie

#6 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Best to Panic.

#7 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -

I'm not but that is because my wife and I more vigilant for this type of thing anyways. I would wait until there is evidence your card was stolen. But if waiting makes you queasy it does only take a conversation with your bank.

I think a lot of the problem is people on message boards blowing stuff out of proportion and Sony not really giving out clear answers.
#8 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Better be safe than sorry...

#9 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Best to Panic. "
I want this on a t-shirt in the "Keep Calm and Carry On" font! DO this now internets!
#10 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Deeveeus said:
" I did it right away...they send you a new number, you're without a card for a week or so, no biggie "
exactly.. i dunno what the commotion is about. the hackers will know your name and address and personal details? so what? alot of people know your name and where you live.
they'll get a hold of your email address but not its password, so all they can do is send spam.. who doesn't get spam mail ?
they've hijacked your PSN account? with your CC number changed, the only thing you lose is the account itself (trophies, PSN friends, etc..) though very unsettling and shitty for a gamer, it's not the end of the world.
#11 Posted by Chaser324 (6556 posts) -

After seeing some people here mentioning some fraudulent charges, I immediately hopped in my car and headed down to the bank to get a new debit card. It looks like Sony may have really lost everything.

Also, apparently there are a lot of people out there taking this precaution. The guy at the bank actually specifically asked me if I was getting a new card because of the PSN incident.
#12 Posted by iamtirrrred (114 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Deeveeus said:
" I did it right away...they send you a new number, you're without a card for a week or so, no biggie "
exactly.. i dunno what the commotion is about. the hackers will know your name and address and personal details? so what? alot of people know your name and where you live.
they'll get a hold of your email address but not its password, so all they can do is send spam.. who doesn't get spam mail ?
they've hijacked your PSN account? with your CC number changed, the only thing you lose is the account itself (trophies, PSN friends, etc..) though very unsettling and shitty for a gamer, it's not the end of the world.
"

Ahmad_Metallic said  "losing the account itself (trophies, PSN friends, etc..) though very unsettling and shitty for a gamer, it's not the end of the world" 

I would die losing ALL my trophies!

#13 Posted by VegasAceVII (29 posts) -

Am I the only one who is not worried about this at all?  LOL.

#14 Posted by MB (12430 posts) -

Please pick one of the numerous existing threads on this subject instead of creating a new one. There are plenty to choose from.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.