Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Plus

Concept »

PlayStation Plus is a premium PlayStation Network subscription service.

How are the dl speeds on full games?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

So I've gotten a considerable bump in bandwidth allotment from 80 gb/m to unlimited. In an effort to be thrifty on my game spending I'm considering getting a PS Plus subscription. The one thing holding me back on the idea is the outright awful download speeds from PSN.

As an example, a month or so back I played Haze. When I put it in, I got a prompt for a 72 mb patch, which I agreed to. It took over 35 minutes to get that patch. And firmware/store updates aren't much better. However, in that same time frame, I can dl full games (6-7 gb) off of xbl or steam, so I know the problem isn't on my end.

So, are the dl speeds any better if you have a PS Plus account? I don't want to have my system trying to download a game for two days

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

They're reasonable for me; something like 2 MBps (I have a 20 Mbps connection). Definitely not anything like what I always heard people complaining about with PSN, but I did just get my PS3 about 6 months ago and I signed up for PS+ immediately, so I don't know what it's like without it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Poor. It took 8+ hours for me to download Sly 4. Then another 8-ish to install it.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@jasonr86: Jesus fuck! Well, looks like its sticking to steam deals for me. I'm not willing to risk $60 bucks to find out it they're just as bad as usual

Let's hope they get some good network engineers for the PS4

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

@jasonr86: Jesus fuck! Well, looks like its sticking to steam deals for me. I'm not willing to risk $60 bucks to find out it they're just as bad as usual

Let's hope they get some good network engineers for the PS4

It's odd because sometimes it is surprisingly fast and then mind-numbingly slow. It seems totally random. And I'm in a pretty good area for internet connectivity so I don't get why it's so fucking odd. By comparison, on Steam Sleeping Dogs took me about 20 minutes to download and install.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By DarthOrange

It's never been bad for me, longest download was the monster that is Super Street Fighter four at around 8 hours. Everything else is pretty reasonable. If hasn't been good for you in the past then PS+ won't make it better.

TBird13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By TBird13

It's certainly not the fastest, but it's not terrible either. You can set your PS3 to download something and turn off when it's done (go to the main menu, go all the way to the left, and then choose to turn it off, bizarrely this is the only way to get that option). I'd recommend just doing that when you go to sleep, and it'll be ready by morning.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By GS_Dan

It seems to vary from fine to piss poor.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant always attest to this but Ive never needed an 8 hour allotment to download and install the game (but i havent downloaded anything over 8-9gb). Equally I tend to leave the palystation on in the background to download while I do stuff on the computer. Equally im using the Wi-Fi which isnt great in my room so im sure in my area at least its not so bad at all

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@tbird13 said:

I'd recommend just doing that when you go to sleep, and it'll be ready by morning.

This is what I do, it doesn't really matter how fast it is, I'm not going to sit there and watch something download, doesn't matter if it's 1 hour or 10 hours.

jayu26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jayu26

PS+ also gives you ability to auto download. Just set a time for it to auto download/update and as long as the game is in your download XMB list it will download and install (it also syncs trophies and syncs game saves to the cloud). I have set my PS3 to do this every night, so that whenever it is I want to play a game every thing is ready to go. I think it also downloads any recent patch for the games you are currently playing, but I am not sure...

But yeah, there is more to PS+ then free games and discounts.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By thebunnyhunter

It usually takes me 2 hours to download a full game and another 45` to install, smaller psn titles are much faster for me.

The Longest for Me was Ni No Kuni (23 gigs) and that took 4 hours with an 1.5 hour install

I have never really had an abysmal time downloading stuff off of psn, its the installs that get me fired up....but yeah if you put it before you go to bed then everything is good.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By BoFooQ

My internet is not the greatest and I still think the downloads are fine, also though I plan around it none the less and try to download stuff and than go to sleep or leave and come back and its done.

By the way what happened to our monthly list of new games on plus. I really like those forum pages.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.