Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

I have been noticing this by vita owners...

EnomotoShards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When they said their vita is collecting dust, why don't they sell it and just move on to get a 3DS? Otherwise they would be wasting money and not getting it worth for anything.

I have noticed users saying it on other forums and not just here. Why would they not sell it so it avoids them to stop carrying it and not getting much use?

This is not meant to start anything before you go crazy on me. Just curious.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
    indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By indiana_jenkins

Don't worry, my 3DS also collects dust.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This. Both my PSVita, PSTV and New 3DS collect dust.

My 3ds also collects dust.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By deckard

Yeah, why would you buy a 3DS at this point if you've never had one? If someone's gone this long without one I think they'll be fine.

clovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Same, both of my handhelds are collecting dust. With my now limited gaming time its all dedicated to gaming on my TV.

Don't worry, my 3DS also collects dust.

EnomotoShards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By that retrospect, I can say my Wii U collects dust and it wouldn't make any difference...

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RikiGuitarist

Most people buy Nintendo hardware to play first party Nintendo games. First party Nintendo games don't come out at the rate as third party games do, and not everyone buys every Nintendo game that comes out. So during those lulls, which are often, no one touches their Wii U or 3DS until something noteworthy is out. Same goes for the Vita, there just aren't many first party games getting released on it, let alone third party. My Vita only gets picked up when I have crossbuy games on it, I rarely buy games just for my Vita anymore. Does that make me want to sell my Vita or 3DS? No, they still have value to me. They can still play first party games that no other system can.

People play major third party releases on PC, PS4, or Xbox One these days, so those are the systems that won't be collecting dust any time soon.

EnomotoShards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw What about gem smashers? It is on the PSN Vita store

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Some people have the luxury of spending money on things they will never use, and don't care about the money they would get from selling them. Personally I always sell stuff that I never use, which is what I did with my vita.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My vita is only collecting dust because my backlog in the other systems is so huge, it'll be a while before i get back to it.

Please_Love_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm keeping mine in the futile hope that more good dungeon crawlers get localized (like Dungeon Travelers 2-2).

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The dust on my 3DS is collecting dust.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You can only play Persona 4 so many times.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get dat dust.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because my Vita is collecting dust doesn't mean I am in the market for a different machine though. But I also am one of those people that don't sell things they don't use. Partially it's probably sentimental but the other part is that the money I get isn't so much that it's worth the hassle. Might as well keep it around if I ever feel like going back to it some day.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bigsocrates

I'm loving this hardcore Vita defense. It's like someone arguing super hard that the Seahawks should have won Superbowl XL. The war is over, my dude, but I can't help but admire the dedication.

To answer your question...never sell hardware. On the very rare occasion that I want to play a Vita game it's good to have it around, and I have enough Vita games from PS+ and flash sales that I would be losing access to hundreds of dollars of games. How much can you even sell a Vita for these days? $7.45? $2 and a Mr. Resetti Amiibo?

Oculin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PSVita TV fell behind my desk and I have yet to go down there to actually get it.

I know where it is. Its time will come.

EnomotoShards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I have not been defending the vita and way to be off topic...

EnomotoShards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EnomotoShards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please tell me where I am defending the vita? I was just curious and all I get is a sarcasm on steroids party. Lame

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I don't sell my old systems. Sometimes I get an itch to play my old games. Just this past week I hooked up my GameCube to play Mario Sunshine (inspired my Steal my Sunshine).

I may not have played my Vita in some time, but I like having the option to take it out and play some Spelunky or Rogue Legacy. Thanks to PlayStation Plus my Vita collection is still growing, so maybe I'll find myself with a new game that might be worth playing sometime in the future.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When they said their vita is collecting dust, why don't they sell it and just move on to get a 3DS? Otherwise they would be wasting money and not getting it worth for anything.

I have noticed users saying it on other forums and not just here. Why would they not sell it so it avoids them to stop carrying it and not getting much use?

This is not meant to start anything before you go crazy on me. Just curious.

Personally I pretty much never sell anything because you can never get back the same value out of it anyways and I am someone that dusts off my old stuff to revisit them pretty often. It's a weird thing, but if I bought a console for $300, that console is and always will worth $300 to me. If I sell it for $100, I have a gap of $200 that just disappears into the ether.

Not carrying a handheld console and it not getting much use isn't really a problem most people with a handheld console that they're already leaving behind to collect dust are looking to solve by selling. If they're going to sell it would be for monetary reasons. It's pretty easy for me to stop carrying my 3DS that's collecting dust. I do it everyday without thinking about it! It's not this thing that weighs on my mind where I need to sell it. If poverty is knocking on the door though, you best believe that's one of the first things that I'm going to pawn off.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Seikenfreak

Actually playing my Vita as I type this (Tactics Ogre), but for the most part it sits and collects dust. Just like my 3DS, Xbox One, and Wii U. I was playing Tactics Ogre on my PSP, and then I tried PSP Component out (I bought another used PSP 3k for $25 lol) and that ended up looking like crap. Then I remembered I had the PSTV collecting dust so I dug that out.. and that didn't look much better. And then I was reminded that the Vita can play PSP games.. I'm an idiot. It looks excellent on the Vita. Perfect for playing on the toilet, which is about as mobile as I game. I swear, if these companies released these handheld exclusive games on consoles, they'd sell a ton more.. Because I don't really have a reason to play anything on a handheld.

Vita reasons:

1. I think it is an awesome piece of hardware. It isn't the Vitas' fault more games weren't made for it. So I will take care of it innnn..
    2. ...My collection! I have a lot of hardware and the Vita is the best, most well rounded handheld I have.
    3. Sonys Cross-Buy setup was/is great. Don't see it too much now.
    @lanechanger said:

Personally I pretty much never sell anything because you can never get back the same value out of it anyways and I am someone that dusts off my old stuff to revisit them pretty often. It's a weird thing, but if I bought a console for $300, that console is and always will worth $300 to me. If I sell it for $100, I have a gap of $200 that just disappears into the ether.

Yea that is kinda how I think about the stuff I guess. I don't like taking any sort of a loss. I spent $600 or whatever on the 60GB launch PS3.. And damn straight that thing is worth every dime. It's still the ultimate PS3 and mine still works. All those whiney children complaining about $600.. geez. You want cheaper? Good, now you have consoles that can't play old games, have no fun gadgets, no Blu-Ray movie support, and 2 USB ports.. Yea, come at me bros! /knifeout

..fhew don't know what happened there. Blacked out for a moment.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I think most people probably forgot they even had a VIta you know? Like they say, out of sight, out of mind. Besides, is it really worth it trading in a Vita for a sandwich?

These days I hear way more people talk about their Xbox One collecting dust than anything else, then maybe 3DS, then Wii U and sometimes you might hear a PS4 here and there if that person is big on PC.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By glots

@enomotoshards said:

You sound like you're assuming that some of those people bought their Vitas only a few days ago and aren't playing on them anymore. In that case I could maybe see it being a waste of money, but I'm pretty sure that's not the situation here. I bought mine almost four years ago by now, so there were a good couple of years when I played it actively before slowing down....and without trying to sound snarky, I'd imagine that people don't actually carry around a handheld console they're not using actively. When they say it's collecting dust, I'm pretty sure that it's literally collecting dust in a drawer, not in their backpacks or pockets.

I'm also pretty sure that some people just might not care about the 3DS either...not to mention that unless you happen to find a buyer who's willing to pay some extra for your Vita for whatever reason, you won't be making much profit by selling/trading your Vita away to Gamestop or other similiar retailer. Probably even less currently on sites like ebay too, because of Switch, if I'd have to guess.

EnomotoShards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good points!

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, as an owner of both platforms, I can say that when I lament the fact that my Vita is collecting dust it's because there aren't enough interesting or varied games coming out for it in my opinion. The 3DS's library is more robust and unique, and the support for it has been strong for a long time. The Vita never really got a large number of high quality games in my opinion, hence why I'm bummed I don't get a chance to play it much. I think it's a great device that can't justify its existence.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

One of these days I'll finish my Vita backlog...I said 10 months ago. :P

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a Vita just so it could collect dust. And I laugh at it. Haha!

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

3DS is a dust magnet in my home.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huff that Vita dust. Vita is life.

nevalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still use the Vita daily (nightly?) before bed. I enjoy the Indie machine that it is, especially when Salt and Sanctuary was recently released for it and for free (thanks cross-buy!). If not that, I just bum around Youtube with that sweet OLED screen. Yeah, it's a shame the Vita never caught on, but I intend to keep mine until it breaks...I'll probably still keep it...

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How am I gonna start my day without Wake Up Club though

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dat OLED screen tho... too bad I was an idiot and scratched mine.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My Vita and 3DS take turns for collecting dust.

EnomotoShards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Déjà vu

Avatar image for freakinoutanames
    Freakinoutanames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, as an owner of both platforms, I can say that when I lament the fact that my Vita is collecting dust it's because there aren't enough interesting or varied games coming out for it in my opinion. The 3DS's library is more robust and unique, and the support for it has been strong for a long time. The Vita never really got a large number of high quality games in my opinion, hence why I'm bummed I don't get a chance to play it much. I think it's a great device that can't justify its existence.

Yeah, I think people want to be using the Vita and are simply out of games. I don't want to sell mine I WANT to use it.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Puchiko

People need to put their unused hardware in plastic bins so they don't collect dust. I keep all my original packaging so when not in use I repackage old consoles.

Also why the F$*@! would I sell it and lose money by getting less than what I paid for it? Just because there isn't anything new to play doesn't mean I won't want to replay a game on the system. I would have to re-buy the system and lose more money again.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It collects the same amount of dust as my genesis,ps1,n64,gameboy,ps2,ps3,wii,wiiu,3ds does. Some of us just don't like selling our old hardware. I enjoy having it around.

I also do actually bring my Vita to play Disgaea on the rare long trips I do. It's taken me like 5 years to finish two of them lol.

Zooey74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I sold my Vita would the dust not simply collect in similar quantities on the area where I used to keep my Vita?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.