Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

PS Vita: Is it worth it for PS3 lovers like myself?

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By fishinwithguns

I really don't know enough about the Vita at all, and it may be too soon to tell whether it's worth the money or not, but I was wondering what people think about it as of now.

I wouldn't say I'm not a handheld kinda guy, but the last portable system I owned was a DS Lite, and over Christmas I did consider buying a 3DS. However, I'm kinda in love with my PS3 and most Sony products now. I love the functionality, and of course the great PS3 exclusive games. But I'm not here to argue one console over the other, in fact I used to bash the PS3 myself, but only because I was pissed off because MGS4 was never coming to XBox, and I was convinced the console was overpriced, until I finally bought one after an unplanned six-month hiatus from gaming.

I've never owned a PSP, but I found its uses in conjunction with the PS3 to be intriguing. The Vita seems to be taking all of that to a new level, and most of the games look incredible and pretty much (in some cases) about as visually impressive as their PS3 counterparts (of course on a much smaller screen).

I do intend to do some googling on this matter, but this is also an important part of my research. Much appreciated.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mars

I have a 3DS, PS3, 360, and Vita. I would not go so far as to say I'm a PS3 lover, however, I have been blown away with my Vita so far. Along with Little Deviants I purchased Uncharted. LD is not bad for a pack in as it gives you an idea of what functionality the Vita has to offer but there is nothing spectacular about the game itself. Uncharted is a different story; while agree with many criticisms regarding the story, this is the most fun I've had while playing an Uncharted game. They definitely "video-gamed" it up, the did a great job with it. The added climbing features are cool and take a lot of the monotony out of holding a joystick down for several minutes which frees you up to watch the action and enjoy the environments. Also, the new aiming mechanics allow for fine tuning shots which in my experience has made the combat much more enjoyable. For a first UC offering from this dev, they did a wonderful job. I only have experience with full versions of these two games and some demos I am thrilled with my purchase. While two different experiences ... Sort of ... Vita blows the 3DS out of the water IMO. Get it!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

I haven't personally played with one, but from what I have seen it seems like a very capable system with a high potential for a bright future. But then, you could have said the same about the PSP back when it came out. It wasn't a failure, but it didn't have the shitload of great games that people were expecting it to have. It turned out OK.

I suggest waiting two or three months to see what people are saying about it then. Are the games still holding up? Anything good coming out for it? How stable is the system? How durable? Any major problems with it? Those kinds of things are never really clear at launch. Best to wait unless you've got a lot of disposable income and don't mind blowing $250 for the Vita, some for an overpriced memory card, and a few games.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mars

@believer258 you are correct, but, something that I think has been overlooked by many is the fact tha the vita has two analog sticks. With the PSP only having one, it was very limited in playability. Don't underestimate the second analog stick.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish

No.

Another wallet saved.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mars

^^ I'm not sure I follow what you mean.

SuperCabboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By SuperCabboy

@Mars: He means a port of the best GTA /ps2 game ever.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By BrittonPeele

As Jeff has said a couple of times: If you're invested in the PlayStation brand (which it sounds like you are), it makes the Vita more appealing.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the PS3 (I have one, but I buy almost all multiplatform games on the 360), but I'm still loving the Vita. So I imagine there'd be even more love for someone super invested in things like trophies, and if you never had a PSP that opens the door to a lot more games.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By handlas

go play with one at Gamestop and decide for yourself.

I happen to be in one yesterday and got my hands on it for the first time. It's a lot smaller than I expected for some reason. I've already ordered one through Amazon and am waiting for it to come in next week. I'm happy with my purchase; can't wait.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Brendan

It isn't worth it for the person with a substantial 2011 backlog to buy through first. That's the only perspective I can offer you.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b7ee273746a
    deactivated-64b7ee273746a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The pros for you, coming from the PS3, is that you'll be able to play the PSP and Vita releases of some of the PS3 franchises you like. In addition, if you never owned a PSP, there are a ton of old PSP titles you can download and play on the Vita, so it has a much larger library for you than for those of us who have PSPs. There is also the possibility of Vita/PS3 cross system features like Remote Play being of use to you.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By me3639

Like a lot of people i have all the systems excluding Nintendo brands, but i would wait for a price drop. Costing over $300 just to start to play a game on a handheld is too much. Also after watching Jeff play the game demos i cant help but wonder if this is nothing more than a prelude to a sony playstation tablet 2014.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BlatantNinja23

sure.... I haven't regretted buying mine yet

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike

Don't buy one. You're already trying to convince yourself that you want a Vita, if you get one now you'll probably regret it. Wait a year or so.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Andorski

I just went to Fry's Electronics and saw their Vita display. It looked like no one has even gone and touched it. Boxes of the games and the system have not moved since being placed their. It's not exactly hard evidence that the system is not selling, but I wouldn't be surprised if that thing gets a price drop a la 3DS.

Also, the little time I got to play with the system gave me the same feeling that I had with the PSP: the games that you are going to get on that system are, for the most part, going to be inferior versions of what you will be getting on consoles. Cool if you didn't get enough Uncharted and are willing to get a side story adventure from the series, but otherwise completely necessary.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I went back and forth over buying one. I think I broke my previous record for ordering and then cancelling the same item on Amazon, only to cancel my Amazon order and buy from a dude on Craigslist anyway.

Now that I have one tho, I am pretty much blown away by how much Sony has upped the ante for handheld gaming. I played a bunch of Little Deviants and Uncharted over the weekend, 4 hours straight of Uncharted at one point actually, and while it's true the game doesn't have the big set piece moments UC2 and 3 had, it's still a hell of a lot of fun to play most of the time.

As someone who could never build any real interest in the PSP, I would say if you are a PS3 fan, then you should at least check out a Vita. It's a hell of a little system, whether or not it's too late to the handheld gaming party remains to be seen.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By lethalki11ler

@Krakn3Dfx: lolololol so funny because I had the same with the 3DS but for the vita i did it twice and was convinced after watching some Persona 4 videos

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.