Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

PS4-Vita / Vita-TV Remote Play impressions are hitting!

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Finally, non-sony impressions of the PS4-Vita remote play are hitting, and good news! They're pretty darn positive!

PSVita

[...]in fact, we tried out PlayStation 4 Remote Play functionality on the new Vita withKnack, and it looked incredible. Of course, it's a PS4 game running on a little LCD screen, so it'd better look pretty incredible.

Remote Play functionality was similarly impressive. There was zero perceptible lag between PlayStation 4 on-screen action and what we were inputting on the Vita. The same sentiment applies to input directly on the Vita for the PS4 game we were playing: no lag, as if Knack were a game being played locally on the Vita. How this will play out with your own home WiFi is another question altogether, which we'll test more thoroughly when we get PlayStation 4 review units in the coming weeks. As of right now, it more than stands up to NVIDIA's Shield. If anything, it bests the Shield's streaming performance with zero hitches while we played.

- Engadget

Vita-TV

There's definitely a visual hit when you're using the PS Vita TV to play PS4 games. We played Knack, one of the console's flagship launch titles, and though it looked good, there was definitely something a bit off. In a way, it almost looked like we were watching a YouTube video running at 1080p--it was serviceable, and looked good, but had minor tinges of compression.

That's the (relatively minor) bad news. The good news is that it played flawlessly. During our 10-minute demo we experienced no lag whatsoever. It felt as though we were playing a game running on the hardware, not a game being streamed wirelessly to it. So while you're not getting the full-fledged next-gen experience (especially if you're playing using a PS3 controller, as we were), you're definitely getting an extremely solid experience.

- Gamesradar

I am so effing excited for this feature! I don't mind a hit in visual quality (and heck, it was to be expected), but the fact the games play well is awesome news.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

My only question now is how seamlessly can I pick up and put down PS4 games from my Vita? Still, super excited.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@starvinggamer: Looked pretty nifty when they demoed it on stage, but yeah, you never know until you get more impressions like these.

So happy about the lack of lag.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The visual hit is to be expected; after all, you aren't going directly from the source. My capture kits slightly impact the visual quality of my video (both in pass-through and in the actual recorded video) so I can only imagine how funky things will look when you record a Vita game though PSVTV.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Seems cool, but in the Game Informer article I believe it was using a USB connection for the demo. So we'll see how it works wirelessly.

Still, cool and promising.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well it works at least. Lets see how things play out when they're in our homes.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Looking forward to Vita'ing PS4 games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.