Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

PSP game functionality on Vita?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Deranged

Hey duders! Just bit the bullet and purchased my first Sony gaming product since the Playstation One! I'm currently really enjoying the interface and everything!

Now, I'm a Playstation Plus subscriber and I picked up the amazing free games they gave away this month but I'm curious about the PSP originals they have. Considering the Vita has two joysticks now, how will shooters and games on the PSP function on the Vita now? Will a game like the older Resistance for example utilize both sticks or still only use one?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Seppli

@deranged said:

Hey duders! Just bit the bullet and purchased my first Sony gaming product since the Playstation One! I'm currently really enjoying the interface and everything!

Now, I'm a Playstation Plus subscriber and I picked up the amazing free games they gave away this month but I'm curious about the PSP originals they have. Considering the Vita has two joysticks now, how will shooters and games on the PSP function on the Vita now? Will a game like the older Resistance for example utilize both sticks or still only use one?

Yes. At least if the control setup is compatible with how you can map the right thumbstick. You can map the d-pad, the face buttons, L & R to it. Just hold down your PS-Button when playing PSP games to customize the game to your liking.

Shame GTA Vice City Stories uses a mutator & L-stick, which isn't support thus far. Most everything else though? Works just fine with dualsticks.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By egg

Don't be fooled, the 2nd stick will only emulate the face buttons (or dpad) so I speculate you're actually just better off using the face buttons for better accuracy/control.

HOWEVER a workaround may be possible in games that have control options. For example in Medal of Honor Heroes. (9.99 US on PSN btw) One of the preset control schemes, if I remember correctly, makes it so you aim with the analog nub and move with the buttons, rather than the other way around. So it depends if Vita lets you remap the righthand ministick to the analog nub. (can someone here who owns Vita verify whether it lets you do this?) If this works however then you've successfully achieved proper righthand-ministick aiming on a PSP game.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

Yes. At least if the control setup is compatible with how you can map the right thumbstick. You can map the d-pad, the face buttons, L & R to it. Just hold down your PS-Button when playing PSP games to customize the game to your liking.

Shame GTA Vice City Stories uses a mutator & L-stick, which isn't support thus far. Most everything else though? Works just fine with dualsticks.

Appreciate the response Seppli! I'm currently downloading Liberty City stories it's free! I want to pick up some older PSP games and I heard some great things about the older Resistance title. Is Unit 13 good by any chance?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By artelinarose

Unit 13 is not good.

Gravity Rush is really good and so is Persona 4 Golden. Soul Sacrifice seems pretty great, from what I played. My roommate has been playing Rayman Origins on my Vita and she says it's really fun.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By JZ
    artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jz said:

@artelinarose: add VLR to that and it's a great list

As far as PSP games go I didn't play a whole lot, but I always recommend Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli

I enjoyed Unit 13 for what it is. Core gameplay-wise, it's by far the best shooter I've played on Vita. Shooting and movement feel satisfying and precise. But it's little more than a somewhat elaborate shooting gallery. No story to speak of. Just shooting people in their faces.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: I was thinking of picking up Unit 13 but Killzone Mercenary just came out and I heard that's the go-to shooter and I already received Uncharted for free off of PS Plus.

I'm really bummed that they don't have some certain titles available on PSOne classics though :(

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Seppli

@deranged said:

@seppli: I was thinking of picking up Unit 13 but Killzone Mercenary just came out and I heard that's the go-to shooter and I already received Uncharted for free off of PS Plus.

I'm really bummed that they don't have some certain titles available on PSOne classics though :(

Only played the multiplayer beta of it thus far, and it's really quite impressive. Not quite what I'd play on a handheld, but it's a online multiplayer FPS game, and not a bad one at that. So that's a first, I guess.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@deranged said:

Only played the multiplayer beta of it thus far, and it's really quite impressive. Not quite what I'd play on a handheld, but it's a online multiplayer FPS game, and not a bad one at that. So that's a first, I guess.

Yeah, I've heard good things about it. I see that Spyro is on sale but there's still no Vita compatibility :/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.