Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

The first Vita price drop (Europe)

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Morrow

Funny thing.

I've been thinking about getting a Vita since its release. The price was kind of a put-off, I could've afforded it but I didn't really want to.

However, since I spend almost 3 hours on the train to work every day, a handheld is a must have. Sometimes it's just too loud in the train to read, so I'm better off with gaming.

So I changed my mind, put a Vita along with a 16GB card, a travel case and the game Dynasty Warriors: Next in my Amazon shopping basket.

When I wanted to place the order today, I saw the Vita dropped from €249 to €219. Not a great price drop, but I'm still glad I waited just that one day with my purchase. I'm sure it'll be getting even cheaper over time, but right now I feel like buying it :)

The only issue I have is with the current game releases. There isn't even a handful of games I'm interested in. But I think they'll be coming, on April 20th they release Disgaea 3 - Absence of Detention here in Europe, that's another title I'll get, but other than that, I have to be patient...

Anyways, I'm generally looking forward to my Vita experience, as most reviews have been very positive :)

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Morrow

Funny thing.

I've been thinking about getting a Vita since its release. The price was kind of a put-off, I could've afforded it but I didn't really want to.

However, since I spend almost 3 hours on the train to work every day, a handheld is a must have. Sometimes it's just too loud in the train to read, so I'm better off with gaming.

So I changed my mind, put a Vita along with a 16GB card, a travel case and the game Dynasty Warriors: Next in my Amazon shopping basket.

When I wanted to place the order today, I saw the Vita dropped from €249 to €219. Not a great price drop, but I'm still glad I waited just that one day with my purchase. I'm sure it'll be getting even cheaper over time, but right now I feel like buying it :)

The only issue I have is with the current game releases. There isn't even a handful of games I'm interested in. But I think they'll be coming, on April 20th they release Disgaea 3 - Absence of Detention here in Europe, that's another title I'll get, but other than that, I have to be patient...

Anyways, I'm generally looking forward to my Vita experience, as most reviews have been very positive :)

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By TechHits

I would wait till after E3.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Man 3 hours on the train every day, damn right you need a handheld! I rarely have to travel so don't feel the need myself, but hope you enjoy your purchase, nice job saving thirty eurospacebucks.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Three hours to work? And then three back again in the evening? That's six hours of your life every work day spent riding a damn train. You gotta find a job closer to where you live! (Or live closer to where you work.)

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SlasherMan

6 hours a day on a train? Wow. A handheld is absolutely a must... and perhaps a closer workplace?

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Morrow

@MooseyMcMan said:

Three hours to work? And then three back again in the evening? That's six hours of your life every work day spent riding a damn train. You gotta find a job closer to where you live! (Or live closer to where you work.)

No no, it's 3 hours total ^^ I work abroad because I earn more money that way. If I'd live in the same country I'd work, the higher paycheck wouldn't make a difference.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sooty

I would recommend a DS Lite for now,vunless you've exhausted that platform for games already.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Morrow said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

No no, it's 3 hours total ^^ I work abroad because I earn more money that way. If I'd live in the same country I'd work, the higher paycheck wouldn't make a difference.

Three hours total is still more than I would ever consider doing, but that's at least reasonable. And the "I need to make more money" argument is always a valid one.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Morrow

@SlasherMan said:

6 hours a day on a train? Wow. A handheld is absolutely a must... and perhaps a closer workplace?

No, 3 hours ^^

And I won't find a workplace that well-paid in my own country, so I work abroad ^^ I don't mind it though. I like it there, my bosses are nice as well as my colleagues, so I gladly accept the train ride.

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ColonelRick

Amazon...Euros....Are you German?

IF YOU WORK IN NL, YOU ARE STEALING A JOB FROM ONE OF MY COUNTRYMEN, GOOD SIR.

After the slow fizzle that was the PSP, If I'm going to buy a Vita at all, i'm going to wait a good while to see where it's headed.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Morrow

@Sooty said:

I would recommend a DS Lite for now,vunless you've exhausted that platform for games already.

I had a DS Lite and got a 3DS as well, but I must say Nintendo's lack of trophies/achievements is kinda demotivating. I enjoyed a lot of RPGs back in my Nintendo days, as I owned a SNES, N64 and the DS handhelds. I kinda grew out of it though.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SlasherMan

@Morrow said:

@SlasherMan said:

No, 3 hours ^^

And I won't find a workplace that well-paid in my own country, so I work abroad ^^ I don't mind it though. I like it there, my bosses are nice as well as my colleagues, so I gladly accept the train ride.

Oh, that's a lot more sensible. I thought it was 3 hours to work, and then 3 hours back.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Morrow

@ColonelRick said:

After the slow fizzle that was the PSP, If I'm going to buy a Vita at all, i'm going to wait a good while to see where it's headed.

lol how'd you guess I'm German just from Euros and Amazon?! :D

No, I work in Switzerland. I'm living close to the frontier anyways ^^

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Morrow

@SlasherMan said:

@Morrow said:

@SlasherMan said:

No, 3 hours ^^

Oh, that's a lot more sensible. I thought it was 3 hours to work, and then 3 hours back.

I don't think that would even be possible for me ... I start working at 7.15am, that means I have to get up at 4.55am to catch the train at 5.41am. If one way would be 3 hours I would have to get up in the middle of the night! D:

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ColonelRick

@Morrow said:

@ColonelRick said:

lol how'd you guess I'm German just from Euros and Amazon?! :D

No, I work in Switzerland. I'm living close to the frontier anyways ^^

LOL, I dunno, whenever I hear Amazon and paying in € mentioned, I automatically think of Amazon.de, even though there are other 'national ' amazon sites.

We don't have an Amazon in the Netherlands. We do have bol.com, but it doesn't have the same range of products amazon has...

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SlasherMan

@Morrow said:

@SlasherMan said:

@Morrow said:

@SlasherMan said:

No, 3 hours ^^

I don't think that would even be possible for me ... I start working at 7.15am, that means I have to get up at 4.55am to catch the train at 5.41am. If one way would be 3 hours I would have to get up in the middle of the night! D:

Well, I've known people who pushed themselves to extremes when it came to their jobs, so even though it sounded crazy and perhaps unlikely, it wasn't all out of the realm of possibility.

Well, anyway enjoy your new Vita!

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Vorbis

Thinking of picking up a Vita for the same reason. I have to say SRPGs like FF Tactics, Disgaea and Tactics Ogre seem to make the best games for train rides. You lose hours easily without getting too focused and if there are interruptions you don't even need to pause.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Morrow

@Vorbis: True. I'm looking forward to the Disgaea 3 port :)

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake

If you have already have a PSP (not the Vita) then it's worth noting that Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics and Disgaea 1 and 2 are already available as well as the excellent Jeanne D'Arc. Dunno if you can get them on the Vita but I don't see why they shouldn't be in the digital store or what not. Valkyria Chronicles 2 is another turn based game that's worth noting too.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Morrow

@eroticfishcake:

I have a few PSP titles, Disgaea 2 is one of them. But my motivation to play those is rather small, as they have no trophies or achievements... I played the hell out of Disgaea 2 already anyway. But thanks for the suggestions ^^ I'll try to platinum DW: Next until the Disgaea 3 port arrives :)

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Hector

Hopefully it drops to $199 here in the states by holiday 2012. I'll get it then for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.