Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Vita with Deceptive Advertising

Salesmunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Salesmunn
    No Caption Provided

I'm sorry but this ad on Amazon.com for the Vita is a blatant lie. In the image, it shows a game of Wipeout 2048 being played and text that says, "3G Gaming" which is absolutely not the case. I bought a Wifi version but I've ready everywhere that you can't play games online with 3G, how can they get away with this?

I call shenanigans on this! Hopefully Patrick picks this up and runs with it

**Update 11/25/2014 - An article on Kotaku.com cites that the FTC agrees with me. Sony was indeed guilty of misleading consumers with this "3G Gaming" advertising, among others. http://t.co/EpKDJeigl3**

Salesmunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Salesmunn
    No Caption Provided

I'm sorry but this ad on Amazon.com for the Vita is a blatant lie. In the image, it shows a game of Wipeout 2048 being played and text that says, "3G Gaming" which is absolutely not the case. I bought a Wifi version but I've ready everywhere that you can't play games online with 3G, how can they get away with this?

I call shenanigans on this! Hopefully Patrick picks this up and runs with it

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I think you're making this out to be a bigger deal than it is. It's just a random Internet ad.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hatking

I read it initially as '3D Gaming.' Haha...

Yeah, that is really deceptive. I've been selling these things to people and I always make sure to make it clear to them that the 3G is not for online gaming. Most people don't know, actually.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShaggE

They never said that 3G enables online gaming. They simply said "3G gaming", which is an intentionally vague statement, and not at all untrue.

Welcome to advertising.

Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Istealdreams

Wait! You mean my Penis WONT get bigger?!

Salesmunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Salesmunn

@ShaggE said:

They never said that 3G enables online gaming. They simply said "3G gaming", which is an intentionally vague statement, and not at all untrue.

Welcome to advertising.

Okay so, if I run with your argument, then what does, "3G Gaming" mean?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Gaff

It's a video game device, it has 3G: therefore, 3G gaming. Yes, it's a stretch, but blatant lie? You'd be surprised how horribly vague advertisements can be.

Also, I had to switch off my adblocker to see that ad. Keyword being adblocker.

Also, hightlighting "3G gaming" like that makes the picture look like an unconvincing photoshop.

@Salesmunn said:

@ShaggE said:

Welcome to advertising.

3G Gaming: Gaming... on a 3G-connected device.*

3G connectivity not available on all versions of the hardware. A 3G data plan with AT-T is required for 3G connectivity, etc, etc. Come on we've all seen the disclaimers.

Also, from Amazon's own product description page:

About the PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi System:
    Your new PlayStation Vita will change the way you play. And AT&T’s Mobile Broadband Network will change where and how you play it. Discover Near, the app that lets you find out what games are hot and who's playing in your immediate vicinity, or how Gifting lets you anchor items like weapons, treasures and power-ups to specific locations where your friends can find them. Check the LiveArea anytime for the most up-to-date news, DLC and Tournament invites for the games you own. Use GPS to explore your environment, discover exclusive content and check in at your exact spot with social apps. Stay connected through in-game conversations with voice chat and text messaging through Party. Download new content and features, and explore an exciting array of games wherever you are. And find out how your PS Vita, powered by AT&T's Mobile Broadband Network, can enhance your life with easy access to internet and emails. Sign up for your AT&T DataConnect plan today to start unlocking the endless possibilities.

No mention of gaming, playing games on-line, whatsoever. The harsh reality is: read the fine print.

Ehker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Ehker

There are games using the 3G for asynchronous features, such as ModNation, Unit 13 and Ruin. Not real multiplayer, but more stats, notifications (like when your dungeon is invaded in Ruin) and challenges along with the other in-game and PSN social features.

That's 3G gaming, so not a lie, but probably not a killer feature either. We'll have to see how devs can make the 3G async features interesting.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaggE

@Salesmunn said:

@ShaggE said:

Welcome to advertising.

Basically what said. Vague and easy-to-misinterpret statements are the backbone of advertising.

It'd be like Microsoft saying "The Xbox 360 was the highest-rated, most purchased new console of 2005". Of course, it was the ONLY new console released in 2005, so they are relying on there being more perceived value in the statement than is actually there, even though the statement is technically true. (I'm not making a statement on the 360, by the way, it's just an example)

Shady, yes, but compared to some of the other shit ads pull every single day, this is nothing.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By wrighteous86

It's just a typo. It should read:

"3G, Gaming

Game. Change? Er..."

No Caption Provided
    Salesmunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Salesmunn

@Wrighteous86 said:

It's just a typo. It should read:

"3G, Gaming

Game. Change? Er..."

Hah, maybe the comma is really REALLY small.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By 71Ranchero

OMG Amazon must have teamed up with Sony to screw over the consumers.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Yeah, 3G Gaming is their big tag line for all the Vita marketing.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TentPole

It is shitty but some games can have asynchronous 3G gaming. So it is not technically false.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Shakezula84

What does 3G Gaming mean to every person is differently, but what it means to Sony is always connected.

All of Modnation Racers online features work on 3G. So its not a lie, just doesn't mean what you think it should mean.

Not saying your wrong, and I think in a year or two games will be playable on 3G, but its vague enough to be not misleading.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Loose associations between 2 things rarely used together in order to promote a product? Bold move.

Salesmunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and by the way, November 2014 and the US Government agrees with me. This advertising was misleading.

Yup.

http://kotaku.com/sonys-original-vita-ads-were-misleading-says-us-govern-1663236456

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaggE

Wow, my original reply was really condescending. Sorry about that, two-years-ago-OP.

Salesmunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Salesmunn

@shagge said:

Wow, my original reply was really condescending. Sorry about that, two-years-ago-OP.

Meh, not really. Apology accepted...I guess?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.