Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation

Platform »

Sony's first video game console established the PlayStation brand. It dominated the 32/64-bit era and was the best-selling home console up until the PlayStation 2.

Can you "Share" PSN accounts?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey dudes, quick question.

When I sold my PS4, I gave my login details to my mate in Toronto so he could enjoy the games I have on there. He's played a few games, and bought a few games on there too.

However, my brother has also just got a PS5, and he was asking if he could use my account to have some games off the ground

How would this work? Would it get banned for being cross-continental (EU/CA)? Would it log on out if the other logged in etc?

Thanks!

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have two PS4's in this house, and have one i have set as the "home" console, the other is set up so i just have to be logged on. The one i have as the "home" console is the one other people use. It lets them use the online without everyone having to all buy PS+, and use my games. And they don't even need to log into my account for it to work, the profile just need to be saved on the console with it set to the right settings. The other one i need to be logged to get access to my games and PS+ benefits, which is fine because im the one using it. If there is no internet im not playing games on that console. But these are in the same house and im sure Sony can see that they are on the same IP address and know what is going on.

I also had my profile saved on my brothers PS4 when we went on vacation, not for game sharing but for convenience of me logging in again when we come back (it wasn't set up like in the above case). He lives basically across the county, and i didn't have it set up with a password for login because what is he going to do? Not thinking much of it. But a few months later i got logged out of my game, logged back in only to be logged back out two or three times. Knowing that my account was fairly secure with two-step, i then called my brother up knowing that he has kids on his PS4 sometimes, and they where using my profile to play some games. Didn't get banned, but im sure Sony could see one second i was logged on one side of the county, then seconds later logged in on the other side of the country a few times within the span of minutes. Didn't get banned but its not something that is happening on a frequent basis. But im sure they could easily flag that based on a number of things and potentially ban that account if things looked super odd. Like how people where asking for money to log other peoples account into there PS5 to get the PlayStation plus collection. Seeing 30+ accounts log in once on one PS5 is odd and not happening under any "normal" conditions, and those people rightfully got banned.

Its technically against the TOS, but i have seen people make profiles and buy games on them specifically for game sharing. So if you set your account up like i have above he can play your games just fine, never needing to touch your profile, you will probably be fine. And i think there relatively lax about it if your just doing it here and there, its not going to be automatically flagged. But hey its your account, you do you.

Mikebill1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Mikebill1

You can have one PS4 and one PS5 set as your "primary" systems. So your friend just needs to log into the account and set his PS4 as the primary PS4. Same with your brother on PS5. That way they can both log in to your account (can't at the same time. Logging in on a PS4 will boot the PS5 off if its logged in and vice versa), download from your library, and still play on their accounts. If you go to play on the account then on your end, so long as you have an internet connection your account will operate like normal. But it means all 3 of you can play the same game off the one account. In terms of any worries from doing it cross continental it doesn't seem to matter from what I've seen. I'm in Australia and have a friend in New Zealand who has my account primaried, and they Sony don't seem to care

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.