Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation

Platform »

Sony's first video game console established the PlayStation brand. It dominated the 32/64-bit era and was the best-selling home console up until the PlayStation 2.

Silver PS1 discs

smo787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just ordered the Final Fantasy Anthology from amazon and when I opened the case the discs were silver instead of the usual PS1 black style discs.

From looking around online these are called "HKs" or "Hon Kong Silvers" and they're not legit copies.

I would love for someone to shed some light on this cause I noticed on the case that it says Square Enix instead of Square Soft. Is Square Enix reprinting these themselves hence why they say Square Enix or are these just really good bootlegs.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Quite a few later era PS1 games were printed on silver backed CDs. I have the Greatest Hits version of some Square games in particular that are on that type of disc.

Square Enix is still actually selling a lot of PS1 games through their website, so I wouldn't be surprised if those have their current branding.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blue-backed PS2 discs, son. They were LOUD AND PROUD.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Lee Marvin's still a bad motherfucker, got a signed PS2 from him.

smo787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By smo787

@chaser324: Yea I figured Square was putting these out since sony prolly owns the rights to use the black style discs or somethin either that or the silver ones are cheaper for square to use.

So these prolly aren't illegal copies then cause I'm just not used to seeing silver ps1 discs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.