Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon: Magikarp Jump

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 18, 2017

A Pokémon mobile game developed by Select Button where you catch and raise Magikarp to ultimately improve their jumping ability.

Pokemon Clicker

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I don't know why, but I'm infatuated with this game. Don't think any other clicker out so far has had me interested as much as this one. It seems to combine the best parts of pet-raising games like Tamagotchi with the Adventure Capitalist-style clicker (where you restart constantly to grow faster next generation). I think what's really grabbed me is just how silly it is - it really has a great sense of humour.

I mean, just watch this video the Pokemon Company made for it:

Is anyone else playing this? What's your highest JP and Jump Height so far?

PlayerPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm playing this too and really digging it, just got to the fourth league. I got a gold variant the last generation I played through.

These guys had a game previously, 'Hunt Cook' that was pretty good too, similar sense of humour and art style.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I generally think this is a fine clicker, but even halfway through league 2 I am hitting a point of diminishing returns where each generation takes a long time and only increases the level by a couple, meaning that I could see this taking a very long time to advance in.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

The goofiness of the setting reminds me a lot of Pocket Card Jockeys. Maybe PCJ and Magikarp Jump are borrowing a comedic style pioneered by some other Japanese mobile game I'm not familiar with. Anyway, I like the idea of this derpy Pokémon league that is just a bunch of Magikarp flopping at each other. I wish there was also a Slowpoke variant of this game.

Overall though, yeah, it's a pretty slow clicker that requires you to check it like once every 90 minutes, which is a little too often for my liking.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing pretty regularly since it came out. I'm like on generation 18 or so and I'm still having fun with it.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I gave it a go on a long journey yesterday and it's a good time waster but not much else. I really dig the style which I think is important for a mostly idle game.

It's goofy, dumb, simple and shallow. Much like Magikarp.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I have never played a clicker before but fear this could lead to a hole of Jeff-like depths.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

I had one generation which only made it one battle farther than the last, which made me realise that the limits on levelling makes for a very linear progression. By which I mean each player's nth generation will reach about the same point as any other. Unless I'm playing it wrong. But I just got my first golden magikarp and it reeled me back in.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

After my Magikarp got stolen 2 times by a fkn Pidgeotto stopped and uninstalled it :P

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've suddenly decided that when your Magikarp is "forced to retire," be it by Pidgeotto, Voltorb or some other horrible demise, that it's actually a benefit. It instantly ends the generation and gives you most of the Trainer XP you would have gotten if it had retired anyway. It's also made me realise that maybe doing the matches before your 'karp is max level isn't a bad idea, just in case he gets killed and you lose the opportunity to get XP.

But yeah, I'm in this pretty deep now and even though it is definitely showing signs of slowing down I still feel I'm making decent enough progress in the 4th league. I think that without the style and setting in the Pokemon world I probably wouldn't be giving this as much attention as I am. Damn I want me a gold Magikarp though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I think it's fucking hilarious that a Pigeotto can swoop down out of nowhere and just fly away with your hard-earned jumping champion Magikarp because you decided to jump up the wrong tree.

Otherwise, I'm pretty uninterested in this game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BisonHero

@bollard said:

I've suddenly decided that when your Magikarp is "forced to retire," be it by Pidgeotto, Voltorb or some other horrible demise, that it's actually a benefit. It instantly ends the generation and gives you most of the Trainer XP you would have gotten if it had retired anyway. It's also made me realise that maybe doing the matches before your 'karp is max level isn't a bad idea, just in case he gets killed and you lose the opportunity to get XP.

Yeah, if you're most of the way done a generation but don't want to grind out the last level or two to max your Magikarp, a Pidgeotto or Voltorb death is a quick way to just "prestige" and get on with the next one. It would be muuuuuuch rougher if it dying didn't give you the XP. The only thing you miss out on by killing Magikarp instead of retiring it is the +10% JP from retiring.

Also, if you ever get a bad Magikarp whose personal bonus is some garbage like "+30%/+40% JP from [some source]", you can usually do much better, so I try to kill those Magikarp as fast as humanly possible. You can "reroll" them when you first catch them by spending gems, but I don't think it's worth it given how slowly you get gems unless you spend money.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

Yeah, if you're most of the way done a generation but don't want to grind out the last level or two to max your Magikarp, a Pidgeotto or Voltorb death is a quick way to just "prestige" and get on with the next one. It would be muuuuuuch rougher if it dying didn't give you the XP. The only thing you miss out on by killing Magikarp instead of retiring it is the +10% JP from retiring.

Also, if you ever get a bad Magikarp whose personal bonus is some garbage like "+30%/+40% JP from [some source]", you can usually do much better, so I try to kill those Magikarp as fast as humanly possible. You can "reroll" them when you first catch them by spending gems, but I don't think it's worth it given how slowly you get gems unless you spend money.

Yeah re-rolling definitely doesn't seem worth it, especially since the stuff you can get with gems is pretty good. At least you get gems at a decent clip from events and achievements.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BisonHero

@bollard: Sadly, the gems slow down once you have all the early tiers of the achievements. But yeah, gotta save every single one of them for those decorations/buddies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.