Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 30, 2003

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is an action-adventure game with a heavy focus on platforming. The story revolves around the wry Prince, a time-altering dagger, and a kingdom beset by a plague-like evil.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time HD (PSN); Anyone Get This?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JasonR86

So Ubisoft re-released Prince of Persia: Sands of Time in HD for the Playstation Network as well as the other two games in the trilogy.  I was wondering what people thought about this remake.  I remembered really liking this game when it was originally released.  But, it isn't quite as good as I remember.  The camera is awful, the fighting utilizes a kind of messed up lock-on system, and the platforming isn't as good as I remember.  For example, to do wall-jumps the player has to wait a bit after first hitting the wall before jumping again.  If you press the jump button as soon as you hit the wall the Prince won't jump off the wall.  There's an animation you have to wait through first.  It can be really frustrating.  Has anyone else noticed these issues?  The remake was pretty well done.  The graphics are still pretty nice upscaled but look very last generation in terms of design and tech.  There is support for 3D but I don't own a 3D TV so I can't comment on how that looks.  The sound design was surprisingly sparse and the acting is no where near as good as I remember.  It's still pretty good but I'm just a little bummed it is not as good as I remember. 

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EvilTwin

I hadn't even heard that was happening.  The whole trilogy you say?  I'd buy that on Blu-ray for $40.00.  

Anyways, I replayed it maybe a year or two ago.  I thought it was still great.  The only big problem is that the combat is simple and boring. 

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JasonR86

@EvilTwin

I think they may be bringing the whole trilogy out on blu-ray soon but you can download each game individually for $15.  I don't know, maybe I had more patience when I was younger but now I find it harder to get by the problems.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EvilTwin
    @JasonR86:  Oh wow, you're right.  It's coming out on March 22nd on Blu-ray.  Well this is fantastic news.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention. :)

How far are into it are you?  Maybe you're still just trying to relearn the controls. 
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JasonR86

@EvilTwin

I'm right at the end.  I'm at the part where Farrah has stolen the dagger.  The lack of the time-reversal dagger makes the problems with the platforming even more pronounce.  I don't know, it's still good but it's still kind of a bummer.

JiggyDino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JiggyDino

Yeah, I remember playing and liking the first one.  So I bought that remake and I was amazed at how frustrating everything felt to me.  It sounds crazy, but I actually can't help to think that something about how the game plays probably changed.  Most old game I've played before that I try now plays fine, but, if it's still the same as before minus HD, this one aged horribly.  Also every sounds were echo-y and far away.  I don't know much about it, but I think that might be because I don't have surround sounds or something.

Also, I hate that annoying girl.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EvilTwin
    @JasonR86:  Hmm, well that's too bad. I'm sorry you're not enjoying it as much as you hoped you would.  Maybe I'll bump this thread in a couple of weeks and tell you what I think of it. :P
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

The sound was probably the only thing that bothered me.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JasonR86

@Jaresk
    Yeah, the sound was a bit of a problem.  I have a 5.1 system and it didn't make a difference.  It was just mixed poorly. 

@SethPhotopoulos

So you didn't have any problems with the camera, the platforming, or the fighting?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @JasonR86: Maybe some of the fighting and the last "boss" but outside of that no.  It was a game made in 2003 and I kept that in mind, I wasn't thinking it was gonna be like the newer POP games.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JasonR86

@SethPhotopoulos

Yeah, it was released in 2003 and I tried to keep that in mind.  But, I remember thinking this and Beyond Good and Evil (also released in 2003) were of the same quality.  But, now that I've played through Beyond Good and Evil again with the HD remake, Beyond Good and Evil holds up so much better.  I guess I was just expecting Sands of Time to hold up just as well.

logicfracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By logicfracture

I got the remake and didn't like it at all. Everything that game did, games like Assassin's Creed have done much better. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.