Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

Is this worth getting without friends to play with?

Avatar image for thedeadcomedian
    TheDeadComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

None of my friends play games on PC. Is the game fun solo?

rockyboyussr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By rockyboyussr

I played it exclusively solo. People say it's two pretty different experiences and I definitely believe it. I think I burned out on it quicker because I played solo only. Without the social aspect and cooperation, the loot-die-repeat loop got kind of boring pretty quickly. It's always exciting once you get to the last 15 or so, but the time it took to get to that point just starts to drag after a while if you don't have anyone to talk to/plan with. Just my experience of course. It's definitely worth trying though if you have the 30 bucks.

EDIT: Should probably also add I'm kinda terrible at shooting dudes. I got 3rd twice and a number of other top tens.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

I wouldn't bother, to me this game is so much more fun with people to play with.

You can join the GB Community Discord, there are always people looking for others to play PUBG with. Alternatively, you can also join the official PUBG Discord or the PUBG Reddit Discord servers which both normally have thousands of active players on them.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing by yourself you have more of a chance because 80%+ of the gunfights you will get in will be either 1vs1 or 1vs1vs1, everyone is targeting eachother and there's no real alliances. This is also the most anxiety ridden way to play; you have no one else spotting with you.

With teams of two, the game feels the most pure to me; you only have one other person watching your back, and you have a fighting chance against two other guys by yourself than you do fighting a team of four.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I've mostly played solo and had a really good time.

WezqApe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WezqApe

25 hours so far and I've only played solo. Definitely worth the price.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think it was designed to be played solo. So it's definitely not a bad experience. That said I wouldn't personally play it without friends, mostly because I have other priorities for my solo gaming time.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Solo, duo, and squad are all very different experiences with solo being my favorite. So definitely worth it. You will have plenty of friends in the GB discord/steam groups if you want to try duo or squad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing solo is great. With no one watching your back things can get really intense as the circle gets smaller.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Definitely worth playing solo!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Absolutely. They're two different experiences, to me, in the sense that neither is better or worse. Situations are approached differently in each. Duos and squads you have more people and last stands to worry about. Solo, 1v1 is fast and loose. Introduce 3 solo players into one area and it gets very tense and tactical. All modes are full of mind games, too.

I play all modes and even solo sometimes because I want to play that mode specifically. It's very fun and addicting because it's not hard to consistently rank top 20. The matches aren't long either and there's not much consequence for losing so you can jump in and muck around from the jump, if you just want to have some stupid fun. It's a big playground, really, accepting of all play styles.

Jump in, duder, you'll love it!

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Solo is great, I have had more fun with Duo and Squad just because I get an excuse to hang out in discord and shoot the breeze with friends.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seikenfreak

I'm on the fence about it. I decided to pick it up as a friend recently started playing it a little bit. BUT I've been playing solo exclusively for about 40 rounds or so.

I really like this game up until the point where I have to engage in combat with someone lol The person above who said "Loot - Die - Repeat" is pretty much on the money for me. I just get sneak killed from anywhere, a lot of the time I have no idea where. Or I just die in a firefight because I suck at shooting games. I can't do the mouse whipping, jumping, crouching ridiculousness that the "pros" are good at. So yea, I have fun scavenging, hiding, stalking etc and then as soon as I die from some BS I want to throw the game out. I often make it to the top 30/20/10 but I'd say I have zero chance of winning haha

I did finally do some rounds of Duos last night with my friend though. I think we got #2 on our second or third round? Really cool. Feels a lot easier as you are sort of only up against half as many people*. It was fun.

*As in, people stick together in pairs so it feels like there is more open ground out there and less likely to get caught

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a very different game. Solo isn't as much "fun" - I take it way more seriously when I play solo. Playing with one or two other people is a ton of fun and leads to great hilarious situations. I find it way more enjoyable to get scared of footsteps on the first floor of the house you're squatting in when it's you and two other people hiding in a bathroom on the second floor.

Pjmcfatty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of you solo people, come play with your fellow duders! SQUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

i'm pretty much exclusively a solo player as i'm the only one of my friends who plays this game and i think it's fantastic. if the concept of it sounds like fun to you and you have the hardware to run it, i definitely recommend it.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515 said:

I find it way more enjoyable to get scared of footsteps on the first floor of the house you're squatting in when it's you and two other people hiding in a bathroom on the second floor.

This is the part of the game I love. The footstep audio is done really well. There have been more than a few times where I find crap for gear, a pistol, and somebody busts into the house and starts racing through it checking the rooms. I'm hidden like upstairs, just out of view in some room, and I see the person peek into the doorway and then walk away. Hearing their footsteps slowly fade off into the distance. That is the key element of this game IMO. It's has moments of horror games like Amnesia. I enjoy being out in the wilderness or in towns and having this constant sense of dread that someone could be anywhere, watching or listening.. and like me, they often decide not to attack. It's so creepy.

..but then the round eventually turns into a more deathmatch style thing as the circle closes in and meh.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't like playing solo, I think it's boring as hell.

michael_katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The game is like a tense thriller when playing solo. When playing squads its a like an ensemble action movie that inventively descends into madness. If you are looking for good duders to SQQUUAADDD with jump on the GB PUBG discord mike linked to above. but either way the game is fun.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.