Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead

Franchise »

Red Dead is a pair of third-person western action titles developed by Rockstar San Diego and published by Rockstar Games.

Red Dead Sequel Speculation Thread

• 97 results
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I figured maybe we could make a multi-purpose thread for this, basically in case this isn't it yet or there are more teases to come... but....

Rockstar just updated their twitter to look very red and worn looking... well very Red Dead looking. Looks very in step with the packaging around RDR. I think we all pretty much know they have been making a new Red Dead and announcing it now for release in Spring/Summer of next year would make a lot of sense for how Rockstar works.

Normally I would not make a thread based off so little actual substance but tell me that doesn't look extremely Red Dead. And Red Dead Redemption was such a fantastic game that it and Cyberpunk 2077 are my most anticipated games for sure.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@gaff: I assume it was the other way around. Red Dead Revolver was put on PS2 and Red Dead Redemption made backwards compatible as a sort of pre-promotion for the new game.

Revolver is already out on PS4 so it would be real weird to tease a released game in this kind of a subtle way.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

@gaff: That would be pretty shitty if they just put out a picture very Red Dead looking without any explanation just to promote Red Dead Revolver.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I hope whatever it is turns out to be a prequel. Red Dead Redemption was set in 1909, so I want something set in 1850s.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969 said:

I hope whatever it is turns out to be a prequel. Red Dead Redemption was set in 1909, so I want something set in 1850s.

If these old leaks are to be believed you might be in luck. It would also be kind of amazing if Mafia and RDR actually took place in the same universe.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969 said:

If these old leaks are to be believed you might be in luck.

Yeah I think that part at least is a real lock. They started right at the end of the brief "Wild West" period.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jesus_Phish
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I would love if there is a big gang/posse focus for this.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: I'm more the opposite. The desolation of riding through the plains and their sheer beauty is what made Red Dead Redemption so good for me. If it's multiplayer focused or you and a group of AI compatriots I fear that feeling will be completely lost.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@hassun said:

@artisanbreads: I'm more the opposite. The desolation of riding through the plains and their sheer beauty is what made Red Dead Redemption so good for me. If it's multiplayer focused or you and a group of AI compatriots I fear that feeling will be completely lost.

Fair enough that's true but you can do both. I think the system from GTA V of character switching could come over exactly (and work very well, imagine a train heist where a couple guys are on the train and another is riding alongside on a horse or what have you) and they could do a lot more with the multiplayer formula RDR had on a basic level while still giving you solo time to roam and all that.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh hell yeah.

So, more speculation then: direct story prequel where you play as John Marston again (as a member of Dutch's gang)? Or as someone hunting them?

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@hassun said:

I think there's something to be said for the option to open it up either way. If it were something like you can call on your gang to mount up any time, or go it alone, I'd be all over it. Who am I kidding, I'll play the hell out of it either way.

It'll be interesting to see where the narrative goes since they've taken the revenge angle. I also shudder (in a good way) to think what this game will look like from an online/multiplayer perspective since RDR was their first big foray into what became GTA Online. I'd love to see more of those roving gangs and bounties. Needless to say I'm excited. Dear god please day and date on PC.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

Looks like those prequel rumours might be true after all. Makes sense given some of the leaks.

Hope we don't have to wait to long to finally get a reveal.

Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hans_maulwurf:I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of playing as Dutch - maybe the GTA V multiple protagonist style to have to see how he makes those hard choices and what position he's put in.

Wouldn't mind seeing more of Landon Rickett's story too, but I think the masses will clamor for more Marston, which isn't a bad thing - I'd just like to see more stories in that harsh world.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@hans_maulwurf said:

Oh hell yeah.

So, more speculation then: direct story prequel where you play as John Marston again (as a member of Dutch's gang)?

I was thinking that too. On a basic level I kind of think it should be different characters but it would be cool to revisit John and see all those other characters with more depth, plus you could get a whole bunch of new ones too.

I bet either way we get some cameos from old favorites.

I would like some old Western movie feel to it too. If they made something very Magnificent Seven esque, like getting hired out to save a town, that would be cool.

@joe_mccallister: As far as multiplayer, one thing I REALLY liked about RDR's multiplayer was the bit of co-op focus it had. If they bring that back and blow it out more I actually could get really into it. They had something really good there with RDR it was just very bare bones.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a prequel starring John Marston during his outlaw days. Calling it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading too much into the picture: I could see the guy left of center being John, the one to the right of center being Bill Williamson (wearing the right hat and coat), and the one to the right of possibly Bill there could be Javier Escuella (has the sombrero). That would probably make the center Dutch himself. In RDR he is not wearing a hat so tough to gauge anything from an outfit.

In the story, John at least says the gang was a kind of Robin Hood outfit stealing from the rich and corrupt and giving to the poor. That would be a cool set up.

Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: totally agreed - although I found something hilarious about even the competitive modes where you start faced off with the other team and it's just absolute chaos right away. I used to jump into private games with friends and just go hunting - no way us nerds were actually going out into the Colorado wilderness to try to find real dangerous game, rather shack up in Tanner's Reach and try to fend off mountain lions. God damn some good times with this game.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Red Dead discussion was the reason I made a Giant Bomb account, just go to the first page of my posts to see. Most of it is completely cringeworthy now but I'm still proud of it. Anyway, I am completely ready for a new one of these games. In fact I've been ready for a long time.

Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9
    deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We need more western video games. The setting is just so dam good.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 things I can almost guarantee:

1:-Prequel to Red Dead Redemption

2: You will be assembling a gang to do robberies/train heist with (a la GTAV heists) and the ending will be a Magnificent Seven-style shootout and the survivors will be those left in JM gang from RDR, thus leading into Redemption.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wherever they're going with this, I hope they revisit the whole pseudo-documentary trailer approach for their marketing. Those were masterpieces in their own right and really got me hyped up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about a little bit of speculation about a PC port. Seeing how well GTA V did on the PC, I really hope this mystery game comes out on it as well.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If they do go back to the story of Marston I hope they can get Rob Wiethoff back. It won't be the same without his voice as Marston.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whatshisface: If it's a new game (and that is incredibly likely now) it will totally come to PC.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whatshisface: It's only a matter of time, I'm just hoping because they don't have the insane task they had with GTA V of getting the game to run on 360/PS3 they can put it out on PC day one. V has been so huge on PC that it's a lock to happen.

If they do go back to the story of Marston I hope they can get Rob Wiethoff back. It won't be the same without his voice as Marston.

Very true.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hans_maulwurf

@artisanbreads said:

@probablytuna said:

Very true.

This story says he has quit VA, though it seems like they still might be able to get him back if they ask nice enough. I sure hope so.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Considering that Red Dead Redemption was about the end of the wild west, I'm hoping they move the timeline forward and do a modern western story. Something along the lines of No Country for Old Men or Justified. I would lose my shit if they did an open world in the foothills of Eastern Kentucky.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Red Dead Redemption but in space

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't wanna play as Marston again and I don't expect it. I would appreciate someone on the darker side, morally.

I also wouldn't be opposed to a woman, who has the benefit of sex appeal and can disguise herself in dresses to gather info and assassinate people at parties and such, hiding derringers and other small weapons under her skirt. But that's just me daydreaming.

I hope it plays more responsively than RDR and GTA V and that its story has more to offer. I'm sure it will be dragged out, though.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By void

I'm kind of hoping this is just an HD remake of Red Dead Redemption for PC and current gen consoles. I have a copy of RDR for PS3 but never got around to actually beating it.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Just hope that the fact the first thing they showed is multiple people doesn't mean there's going to be a gigantic focus on multiplayer...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@hans_maulwurf: Yeah I remember that story. We will see what happens, who even knows if its really John. I really wouldn't have ever expected it but the image today is making me wonder.

I am believing in the connections to previous characters from RDR's Dutch gang that I made in a post above.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By monkeyking1969
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Okay, I like how this seems to be leaning. The fine looking Aboriginal American looks to be holding a 1852/53 Slant-Breech Sharps Carbine. An infamous weapon in the pre-civil war era, if that is in fact what it is...

Nope, its more likely a1866 Winchester Rifle.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@hassun: I would play that in a god damn heartbeat lol

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Okay, I like how this seems to be leaning. The fine looking Aboriginal American looks to be holding a 1852/53 Slant-Breech Sharps Carbine. An infamous weapon in the pre-civil war era, if that is in fact what it is...

Nope, its more likely a1866 Winchester Rifle.

Are those real?

Vaeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Dead Redemption but in space

Red Dead Retrograde

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By monkeyking1969

@yesiamaduck said:

@monkeyking1969: source of those pics?

Just saw them...I really should check. They don't appear on the Twitter where other stuff has shown up. So lest call them 'un-confirmed' for the moment. The dates seem wrong...so likely bullsh%t. I hope they are not, but the least believe bit is the date. Also, the 'Magnificent Seven' imagery of the Twitter image might even be more interesting.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WheresDerrick

With that second image, I'm going to guess itll take the character swapping of GTAV and go further with it; you now control a main character and his gang and can switch between them, doing missions like robbing a train and playing the guys on horseback trying to jump on the train or the guys on a stagecoach trying to provide cover fire. This actually has me quite excited if it turns out true.

And for a crazier guess, I'm hoping in some way they include Red Harlow in the mix; he wasn't a bad guy in Revolver, but it could be either hes in the gang but if you choose to do bad things he wants out, or maybe you end up getting a bounty on your head and he comes to try and collect it, thus becoming a protagonist.

If Red is in the game, I just hope they don't treat him like they treated Johnny in GTAV

*edit* I posted this before reading the thread, I like that my controlling a gang speculation was already talked about, AND the train robbery scenario.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crap those shots must be fakes...I got duped!

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's clearly a prequel where John Marston sails to England to set up a brewery!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marston%27s_Brewery

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By DharmaBum

Those shots are indeed fake btw. Someone already dug up the source artwork.

No Caption Provided

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No speculations here, just blissfully reading all of yours.

I'm so ready.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.