Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 0

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 10, 2002

Resident Evil Zero is a prequel to the long running Resident Evil series, being set merely a day before the Mansion Incident of the original Resident Evil. Zero has players simultaneously control two protagonists: STARS Bravo member Rebecca Chambers, and escaped convict Billy Coen.

13 Minutes of HD Gameplay

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Just some no-frills gameplay, showing off 13 minutes of RE0 in its new spangled HD duds. The graphical improvements are pretty much the one primary alteration this remaster's seeing, like the remake before it, but it's certainly gone a long way as it looks stunning! I noticed they've even updated the inventory character portraits of the two protagonists Rebecca & Billy, too.

Whoever's playing in the video is pretty sloppy and it's clear it's being played on one of the easier settings, judging by the noted fragility of the giant spider that's killed after only 3 handgun bullets?? A funny contrast to how RE0 is (rightfully) seen as the hardest of the classic survival horror generations of Resident Evil. It also includes one of the CG cutscenes at the end, however like the remake before it the pre-rendered cutscenes have barely been touched at all. In the remake it isn't that noticeable as only the opening and ending cutscenes are CG. RE0 is a little more liberal in that regard, however, which is strange given how fantastic the in-game everything looks. They primarily entail a lot of the leech shenanigans of the game, which were perhaps too complicated to animate in-game. Still, the actual game itself again looks incredible to behold, so that's something to fall back on.

RE0 isn't nearly as well put together as the remake, however, so I'm still not feeling the hype of giving this one another go despite its standout visuals.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Definitely still looks good. It's not one of my favorites but I'll still buy it when it gets released. I probably won't go for multiple replays though unless they add something good.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@officer_falcon: Beyond Wesker Mode I doubt it'll have anything extra in there. Would be nice if Rebecca's grimdark outfit can be worn in the main game least, should I attempt a second playthrough on Hard mode. Surprised they haven't taken this opportunity to give Billy a new alt costume too, like one where he's wearing his marine uniform or something. I mean there's still time, but I highly doubt Billy will have any new threads.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feel like any sort of interest this RE0 remaster had built up amongst fans was nearly completely eradicated by the announcement of REmake 2.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: To be fair I can't imagine there was much to begin with. RE0 has never been a big hit amongst Resident Evil and is undoubtedly the most obscure of the mainline series, whereas the original remake is (fittingly) often looked upon as one of the series very best.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: That reminds me, did you see those goddamn Capcom sales numbers? Some of those numbers are pretty damn eye-opening (and downright disgusting). I know there is a whole system of "when a game is extremely good, the next game in the franchise/series reaps the benefits" but holy shit.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Yummylee

@hassun: I always knew that RE5 was their top selling game of all time, and how RE6 also sold an awful lot in spite of its critical bemoaning, but I didn't know that it sold enough to be their second top selling game... That it's actually tied with Street Fighter II is certainly depressing. What's funny is how despite its sales RE6 was still regarded as a 'failure', which speaks to how much they must have sunk into that thing. The marketing in particular must have cost a pretty penny as it was nonstop, eventually reaching Ubisoft levels of basically never shutting up about your game.

This also just makes it more surprising that they haven't yet remastered RE5 in any way yet, too. Would be hilarious if they actually deigned to re-release a new version of RE6 along with it...

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

RE0 is still my least favorite of the series, but man it looks good now. Like the REmake, the redone version looks fantastic. They're doing a great job with these remasters.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: And just look at where any version of RE4 is!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: It's at least comforting to see such high numbers for RE2 & RE3, though.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Man, that sure is a prettier version of the second weakest old-school Resident Evil game.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, that sure is RE:0 in HD....But the real question is: when are we gonna get RE4 in 1080/60FPS with updated controls and menus and audio that doesn't sound like it's coming out of a wii remote?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, that sure is RE:0 in HD....But the real question is: when are we gonna get RE4 in 1080/60FPS with updated controls and menus and audio that doesn't sound like it's coming out of a wii remote?

Was the ''TRUE HD'' PC port of RE4 still a little subpar in certain respects I take it?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yikes! As much as I loved all the old school Resident Evil games, I'm not sure this is going to be worth going through again for me. Can I still hold out hope for the RE2 remake?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you seriously asking for a third RE4 HD remaster

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadying said:

Why not?

That PS360 release was garbage. RE4 deserves better than that.

I'd actually have no problem throwing $60 for a fully remastered RE4/5 (maybe even 6) collection.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mustainium said:

@frostyryan said:
    @steadying said:

Why not?

That PS360 release was garbage. RE4 deserves better than that.

I'd actually have no problem throwing $60 for a fully remastered RE4/5 (maybe even 6) collection.

Yeah, both RE4 & Code Veronica's PS3 & 360 port received the bare minimum of gussying up - barely a 'remaster' in any case.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Steadying

@frostyryan: I'd hesitate to even call what was on PS3 a remaster. They just upped the resolution to 720p and called it a day. You'd almost get the exact same thing if they just released it as a PS2 classic. Maybe the recent PC one was alright, I dunno.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.