Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 21, 1998

Rookie cop Leon S. Kennedy and civilian Claire Redfield must make their way through a zombie-infested Raccoon City in the sequel to Capcom's original "survival horror" classic.

Resident Evil 2 remake options?

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By the8bitNacho

If Resident Evil 2 is remade (a Capcom developer was quoted as saying that he would like to make it happen once Resident Evil 5 is finished), would you prefer it to be made in the Resident Evil 5 engine, or given the old school RE treatment?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

um old school, i wont buy a game like re5, i regret buying re4 ill rent re5 i wont buy it, and if they were the ruin the best game in the series RE2 i would disown capcom completely.

aztecomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By aztecomar

If you changed the engine, the entire game atmosphere would change. Sure, the game could do with a major art asset overhaul, but nothing too much more. Clunky as the old style is, its what makes the games what they are. You can't change that and try and tell people its the same game!

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    Kombat said:
    "If Resident Evil 2 is remade (a Capcom developer was quoted as saying that he would like to make it happen once Resident Evil 5 is finished), would you prefer it to be made in the Resident Evil 5 engine, or given the old school RE treatment?
    "
    Both because I want the game to control like RE5 and keep the an adventure game as well.

The problem with RE4 is it was more of a shooting game than an adventure game. It lack puzzle solving, and it wasn't as scary as the other games from its past.
    ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ImpendingFoil

I really want a RE2 remake since it is my favorite game in the series and after REmake it is something I think could be absolutely incredible.  However I would rather have them keep RE2 controls and refine them rather than just making the game with the RE4/5 engine.  I love RE4 but a lot of the feeling from RE2 would be gone if they changed the engine.

However since it is the RE5 development team wanting to do a remake I have a feeling that will go with the RE5 engine.  I'm hesitant  now but I was also hesitant when they announced how the system for RE4 was going to work, and that turned out to be one of the best games of last generation and one of my favorite games of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I want it old school, RE4,5 have way to much action and not enough scare, it doesn`t have the atmosphere like the old ones and the epicly haunting music like Resident evil 1,2 and 3 had.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

They have remade RE2 for the N64 and RE1 for the GC; If I'm gonna pay money for a remake I'd vote for the new engine, but the pacing of zombie pop ups and such would have to be tweaked since this aint fixed camera angle no more.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I would like the option to be able to play in "classic" mode or "OTS".

If Capcom put the effort into a REmake 2 that they did in the first REmake, I think I would be very satisfied.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9  Edited By the8bitNacho
    StaticFalconar said:
    "They have remade RE2 for the N64 and RE1 for the GC; If I'm gonna pay money for a remake I'd vote for the new engine, but the pacing of zombie pop ups and such would have to be tweaked since this aint fixed camera angle no more.
    "
    There's a pretty big difference between a remake and a port.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StaticFalconar
    Kombat said:
    "StaticFalconar said:
    "They have remade RE2 for the N64 and RE1 for the GC; If I'm gonna pay money for a remake I'd vote for the new engine, but the pacing of zombie pop ups and such would have to be tweaked since this aint fixed camera angle no more.
    "
    "
    The N64 version had way better graphics, a different control system (no tank mechanics), included everything the collectors directors cut on the PS1 had, and added even more extra files (to add to the background of the story, since RE3 was out for PS1 then), item randomizer, new costumes and even surround sound that wasn't in the other versions. Given the limitations of the N64 it was about as much remake as it could be. The only reason why you think the GC is more remake than the N64 was because more time passed so the bigger gap of hardware showed more.

<it was a 3rd party company called Angel studios that did the N64 remake, while Capcom just ported it to just about every other system, including the GC>

EDIT: but with so much passing since then a remake of all RE below 4 into the new engine would be appreciated.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    StaticFalconar said:
    "Kombat said:
    "StaticFalconar said:
    "
    "
    The N64 version had way better graphics, a different control system (no tank mechanics), included everything the collectors directors cut on the PS1 had, and added even more extra files (to add to the background of the story, since RE3 was out for PS1 then), item randomizer, new costumes and even surround sound that wasn't in the other versions. Given the limitations of the N64 it was about as much remake as it could be. The only reason why you think the GC is more remake than the N64 was because more time passed so the bigger gap of hardware showed more.

<it was a 3rd party company called Angel studios that did the N64 remake, while Capcom just ported it to just about every other system, including the GC>

EDIT: but with so much passing since then a remake of all RE below 4 into the new engine would be appreciated.
    "
    Actually hes right it was just a port, The only reason RE2 64 didn't have tank controls is because they took every thing they learnt from analog on the ps1 version and applied it and mastered it to the 64 version let alone the analog capabilities and placement of the 64 controller were vastly and to this day better then dualshock analog ever was adding in all that stuff means nothing since it was still just a port, they made no major changes to the graphics its a given that the n64 produced better graphics which was helped by the fact it was a CART which ment much faster load times for every thing it looked better more because of the n64 power and not because they designed the game for the 64 in mind, The adittion of additional story elements, files...ect and simulated surround sound does not a remake make, it was a port. with nearly every thing from the original intact except a few exceptions.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Like I said before, I don't want the remake to be a straight-up 3rd shooter game but, the thing that I expect to see gone is the static camera angles that was in the original.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Meowayne
    Kou_Leifoh said:
    "Like I said before, I don't want the remake to be a straight-up 3rd shooter game but, the thing that I expect to see gone is the static camera angles that was in the original.
    "
    Right, because cinematic camera angles suck so much and giving the stupid player control of the camera is such a brilliant idea.
    AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By AutomaticSnake

no remake, they should just release all the old RE games on the PSN store, they are much better then that shit called RE5.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zityz

It would be fine as long as it's done like REmake, with added content, just add some better physics and its good.

They wouldn't use the RE4/5 engine that would be a completly different game alltogether.

I would also love to jump on the RE5 hate bandwagon, except I don't hate it, I found the demo enjoyable.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By ImpendingFoil

I don't understand all the RE5 hate either.  Is it because of the controls?  I know that the controls in RE games have always been a little different but I've always enjoyed them from a horror movie perspective.  I always found it more scary that the characters couldn't turn around fast enough that they always get hit and killed from behind, just like a lot of horror movies. 

Of course though, this is just me justifying weird controls in my head.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By chronicsmoke

old school,I loved resident evil 4 as much as the next guy and 5 looks like its gonna be awsome as well, but changing the greatest entry in the franchise (IMO) to a third person shooter would be blasphamy,if its done as well as REmake then itll be just fine

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.