Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

RE5 feels like RE 4.5 with Co-op (Impressions)

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

Edited By insanejedi

That's the impressions i mainly got from the demo, which to say is not a bad thing, but I'm not particularly feeling like it's the greatest thing in the world as some people have said it to be. The reason why I got this feeling is many of the tactics remain from RE 4, and that goes beyond the same old routine of shooting a dude in the head and doing your kick/punch with him, I also mean knifing tactics such as moving back once you see the attack animation and then quickly moving froward to slash him and then kick/punch him, also the thing where you can basically run past anyone to avoid damaging attacks, the chainsaw guy also basically reacts like Dr. Salvador from RE 4. It's a lot of the same but it's still a whole lot of fun, especially if you have another person for the ride.

There have been a few changes made such as the obvious co-op dynamic with that, co-operative inventory where you can trade ammo and herbs between you and a friend (or robot). The co-op works very well without decreasing the tension a lot, since you'll be yelling to your partner "behind you!" many times throughout the whole adventure. Ammo seems to be extremely scarce though so you have to make your shots count, and implement old RE 4 tactics to make the most of every bullet, as most of the time you'll be down toe maybe 20 bullets at a time, if not 10.

For some reason, I'm feeling a lot of rough edges around the graphics, everything animates well but something with the textures and the movable and breakable surfaces feels detached from the world, for example when you kill things it still does the old RE4 dissolve into the ground sort of effect, and in 2009 and even 2008 i don't think that really flies anymore, especially when the effect is not that convincing. I might have to examine it a bit more, but it didn't blow me away.

The controls have also changed slightly giving a more shooter feel, but you still can't move and shoot at the same time as said in other publications. It's workable, but you feel like it could have been a bit tighter and a bit better. Reloading is a big issue for me, since you stand still to reload and it could be a 3-5 second delay into doing that, granted I bet you can upgrade the reloading speed later on, but you kind of wish that you could at least reload and move at the same time.

By the way this game is still white knuckled filled tense, but there are more enemies on screen than there were in RE 4. Usually you can be dealing with 5-8 enemies in the larger scale battle, and they seem to come from all directions which is pretty cool.

Yea, basically it's more of the same of what RE 4 was and slightly updated, but take note that It's still the same great gameplay from a GOTY 2005 game and I had a lot of fun with it, but nothing about it so far felt groundbreaking as its preddecessor. Especially off a game such as Dead Space where many things that, that game does apart from RE 5 such as being able to move and shoot (and even run while strafing) at the same time, and bodies not disapering after you killed them, it just makes RE5 feel sort of outdated. I'm sure it will be a great game once it comes out, and the co-op is really good, but whether it will  be the greatest is something i'm highly doubtful of.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By insanejedi

That's the impressions i mainly got from the demo, which to say is not a bad thing, but I'm not particularly feeling like it's the greatest thing in the world as some people have said it to be. The reason why I got this feeling is many of the tactics remain from RE 4, and that goes beyond the same old routine of shooting a dude in the head and doing your kick/punch with him, I also mean knifing tactics such as moving back once you see the attack animation and then quickly moving froward to slash him and then kick/punch him, also the thing where you can basically run past anyone to avoid damaging attacks, the chainsaw guy also basically reacts like Dr. Salvador from RE 4. It's a lot of the same but it's still a whole lot of fun, especially if you have another person for the ride.

There have been a few changes made such as the obvious co-op dynamic with that, co-operative inventory where you can trade ammo and herbs between you and a friend (or robot). The co-op works very well without decreasing the tension a lot, since you'll be yelling to your partner "behind you!" many times throughout the whole adventure. Ammo seems to be extremely scarce though so you have to make your shots count, and implement old RE 4 tactics to make the most of every bullet, as most of the time you'll be down toe maybe 20 bullets at a time, if not 10.

For some reason, I'm feeling a lot of rough edges around the graphics, everything animates well but something with the textures and the movable and breakable surfaces feels detached from the world, for example when you kill things it still does the old RE4 dissolve into the ground sort of effect, and in 2009 and even 2008 i don't think that really flies anymore, especially when the effect is not that convincing. I might have to examine it a bit more, but it didn't blow me away.

The controls have also changed slightly giving a more shooter feel, but you still can't move and shoot at the same time as said in other publications. It's workable, but you feel like it could have been a bit tighter and a bit better. Reloading is a big issue for me, since you stand still to reload and it could be a 3-5 second delay into doing that, granted I bet you can upgrade the reloading speed later on, but you kind of wish that you could at least reload and move at the same time.

By the way this game is still white knuckled filled tense, but there are more enemies on screen than there were in RE 4. Usually you can be dealing with 5-8 enemies in the larger scale battle, and they seem to come from all directions which is pretty cool.

Yea, basically it's more of the same of what RE 4 was and slightly updated, but take note that It's still the same great gameplay from a GOTY 2005 game and I had a lot of fun with it, but nothing about it so far felt groundbreaking as its preddecessor. Especially off a game such as Dead Space where many things that, that game does apart from RE 5 such as being able to move and shoot (and even run while strafing) at the same time, and bodies not disapering after you killed them, it just makes RE5 feel sort of outdated. I'm sure it will be a great game once it comes out, and the co-op is really good, but whether it will  be the greatest is something i'm highly doubtful of.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

I think everyone kinda knew this going in, that's all it has looked like since the very beginning. I absolutely Loved RE4, at the time it was probably one of my favorite games of all time when it came out, but I still find it somewhat disappointing this is somewhat the same, even though I know because of that I'll still enjoy it a ton. At least the simple things were acknowledged, like not having to go into your pause inventory screen just to change to a different weapon, or play tetris with it just to fit something in. Ultimately it will come down to who doesn't mind that it is basically just RE4 in HD with a few improvements here or there.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By insanejedi

I have to add that the single player AI is GARBAGE. She just wastes ammo thinking it's like Gears of War or something and fires directly at the body. Any decent RE 4 player knows to shoot at the head, run up, press x and repeat the process over and over to save ammo, here she just shoots at any body part she can get, and sometimes she gets trapped and all feeble and die. Seriously, so far if you are going to play this game, get another person whether online or off.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

Well. Definitely not my type of game. Skipping entirely. Doubt I'll even play the demo, unless reason arises.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.