Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rift

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 01, 2011

RIFT is a free-to-play fantasy MMORPG, developed by Trion Worlds.

Rift?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I was a fan of WoW for a while, then DC Universe but for some reason MMO's never hold me up until end game where it really gets good. Do you guys think Rift will be able to hold on to people before it gets to endgame or will people just quit after awhile? 

Also, are there any trails? thanks.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By lucas_kelly

From what I've played so far it seems like it could have a pretty dedicated fan base for a long time.  
    It's definatly one of the better MMORPG's in a while. 

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @lucas_kelly
    From what I've played so far it seems like it could have a pretty dedicated fan base for a long time.  
    Any way to try it out?
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @lucas_kelly
    Any way to try it out? "
    You probably should have jumped on that a couple of weeks ago, when Open beta was going on.  
    As of right now, I do not believe there is a trial version, since it just came out.  
    They're sorting out their hour long Queue times right now.
    I'm willing to bet this MMO wouldn't be able to hold onto you for long. Just a guess though.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @ESREVER
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @lucas_kelly
    Any way to try it out? "
    You probably should have jumped on that a couple of weeks ago, when Open beta was going on.  
    As of right now, I do not believe there is a trial version, since it just came out.  
    I'm willing to bet this MMO wouldn't be able to hold onto you for long. Just a guess though.
    Any reason you don't think it will hold onto me?
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By PerryVandell

Rift? *looks up game* I honestly have no idea. I've never really looked into Rift before (mainly because it's an MMORPG) and the one teaser I saw wasn't very good. Of course, I'm the last person you want advice from when it comes to the quality of today's MMO's so... yeah. My answer is maybe.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By jking47

My little brother really seems to enjoy it, but I haven't touched it myself. There will probably be some sort of 14/7day free trial or something there usually is.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By ESREVER
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @ESREVER
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @lucas_kelly
    Any way to try it out? "
    Any reason you don't think it will hold onto me? "
    Well, its basically WoW. The popular description seems to be "its for people who like WoW, but are tired of playing WoW." Something along those lines. 
    Its the same gameplay and what not, but different method to doing things. 

I'm just guessing that it wouldn't hold onto you for long based on the short time I've "known" you. I've noticed you don't like to stay in one place for long and like moving to the next newest thing.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ttocs

if WoW didn't hold your attention, then this most likely won't either.  WoW did hold mine, and Rift is doing the same.  The main difference between the two (from what I've seen so far) is the fact that there is a lot of open world events going on.  It's not enough to sell a game to someone who wouldn't typically like the rest of it, but it's a nice addition.  

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By melcene
    @NekuSakuraba said:

- Do you guys think Rift will be able to hold on to people before it gets to endgame   

- or will people just quit after awhile?    

- Also, are there any trails? thanks. "

If you have trouble finding an MMO to stick with, it may not be the particular MMOs, but just something about MMOs in general that doesn't hold your interest enough.    I have to agree with what @ttocs: said above.  If WoW didn't do it for you, this game isn't likely to.  Not because the games are so similar, but because WoW is the easiest game for someone new to MMOs to get hooked into and to progress in.  The learning curve only goes up from that game.

Rift will hold on to people, yes, though of course some will quit before endgame.  That's simply the way of all MMOs.  Will it hold on to you?  Probably not. 

There won't likely be any trials for a while, unless you can get a hookup from someone who is currently playing, and maybe they received a recruit a friend trial code.  But MMOs generally don't start their free trials until the game has been out for a while.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ttocs
    @melcene said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    - Do you guys think Rift will be able to hold on to people before it gets to endgame   
     - or will people just quit after awhile?    
     - Also, are there any trails? thanks. "
      If you have trouble finding an MMO to stick with, it may not be the particular MMOs, but just something about MMOs in general that doesn't hold your interest enough.   Rift will hold on to people, yes, though of course some will quit before endgame.  That's simply the way of all MMOs.  Will it hold on to you?  Probably not.  There won't likely be any trials for a while, unless you can get a hookup from someone who is currently playing, and maybe they received a recruit a friend trial code.  But MMOs generally don't start their free trials until the game has been out for a while. "
    This about sums up everything you asked.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ttocs
    @Fullmetal216 said:
    " Rift? *looks up game* I honestly have no idea. I've never really looked into Rift before (mainly because it's an MMORPG) and the one teaser I saw wasn't very good. Of course, I'm the last person you want advice from when it comes to the quality of today's MMO's so... yeah. My answer is maybe. "
    Just out of curiosity...what was the purpose of posting this?  
    JFetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By JFetch
    @ESREVER said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @ESREVER
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @lucas_kelly
    Any way to try it out? "
    Well, its basically WoW. The popular description seems to be "its for people who like WoW, but are tired of playing WoW." Something along those lines. Its the same gameplay and what not, but different method to doing things.  I'm just guessing that it wouldn't hold onto you for long based on the short time I've "known" you. I've noticed you don't like to stay in one place for long and like moving to the next newest thing. "
    It's not WoW. Why does everyone think that? At what point in WoW does 15 portals open up and enemies stream through taking over towns killing all the quest npcs until they get taken out by a group of players? There are only 2 things like WoW in this game. The fact that there are two factions, and the UI.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ttocs
    @JFetch said:
    " @ESREVER said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @ESREVER
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @lucas_kelly
    Any way to try it out? "
    Well, its basically WoW. The popular description seems to be "its for people who like WoW, but are tired of playing WoW." Something along those lines. Its the same gameplay and what not, but different method to doing things.  I'm just guessing that it wouldn't hold onto you for long based on the short time I've "known" you. I've noticed you don't like to stay in one place for long and like moving to the next newest thing. "
    It's not WoW. Why does everyone think that? At what point in WoW does 15 portals open up and enemies stream through taking over towns killing all the quest npcs until they get taken out by a group of players? There are only 2 things like WoW in this game. The fact that there are two factions, and the UI. "
    It's a lot like WoW...and that's not a bad thing.  Sure, the factions and the UI, but also the mechanics of the game, the skill tree (minus the part where you can join multiple) but it's pretty close in gameplay terms to WoW.   

And by saying it's like WoW is just giving someone a point of reference.  Without it, they could think it was like Tabula Rasa.  By saying WoW, they now know the general premise of the gameplay and can take what everyone else is saying to form the actual game out of what they may already know from past MMO's.   

But I understand where you are coming from.  It is a hell of a lot different from WoW, but it's also pretty close in some regards.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Subjugation
    @JFetch said:
    " @ESREVER said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @ESREVER
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @lucas_kelly
    Any way to try it out? "
    It's not WoW. Why does everyone think that? At what point in WoW does 15 portals open up and enemies stream through taking over towns killing all the quest npcs until they get taken out by a group of players? There are only 2 things like WoW in this game. The fact that there are two factions, and the UI. "
    The pre-Cataclysm event had elementals shut down major cities until players took care of them. All of the NPCs straight up despawned. That happened every few hours.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ttocs
    @weeman105 said:
    " @JFetch said:
    The pre-Cataclysm event had elementals shut down major cities until players took care of them. All of the NPCs straight up despawned. That happened every few hours. "
    Yeah, same thing happened with Burning Crusade (I think it was that one) where the undead invaded the major cities and killed everyone in sight.  So yeah, while it's not a predominant feature, it was there before.  But that's the nature of MMO's, always changing and borrowing from each other.  That's a good thing for us, the gamer.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By melcene
    @JFetch said:

Because WoW is the biggest MMO, people assume that every MMO is just lifted from WoW.  Forget that there were even any predecessors to WoW.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ttocs
    @melcene said:
    " @JFetch said:

Because WoW is the biggest MMO, people assume that every MMO is just lifted from WoW.  Forget that there were even any predecessors to WoW. "
    Yeah, and it's the most recognizable.  If someone asks about an MMO, they may say something like "How is this game?" and a followup question might be "is it like WoW?"  No fault to them, of course, it's just that WoW is so far reaching that comparing it to something familiar to them will help them better understand it.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By PerryVandell
    @ttocs: That particular post didn't have much of a purpose. I just gave an impression of what I thought of the game from the couple of teasers that I watched. Nothing about it looked outstanding, but I also wanted to make it clear that I don't generally play MMO's. You know, put things in perspective.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ttocs
    @Fullmetal216 said:
    " @ttocs: That particular post didn't have much of a purpose. I just gave an impression of what I thought of the game from the couple of teasers that I watched. Nothing about it looked outstanding, but I also wanted to make it clear that I don't generally play MMO's. You know, put things in perspective. "
    Fair enough...
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By l4wd0g
    @melcene said:

" @JFetch said:

Because WoW is the biggest MMO, people assume that every MMO is just lifted from WoW.  Forget that there were even any predecessors to WoW. "
    Ever Quest.... Ultima Online.... Star Wars Galaxies... oh wait, not Galaxies..
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ttocs
    @l4wd0g said:
    " @melcene said:

" @JFetch said:

Ever Quest.... Ultima Online.... Star Wars Galaxies... oh wait, not Galaxies.. "
    Haha, yes, let's please forget that.
    oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By oysteinBrenne

its a little like wow but way more modern and better imo i think wow 

wow was the best mmo ever made back in vanilla wow but when burning crusade got out it just got downhill from there now its like the farmville of mmos way to noob friendly  and simpel IMO

rift looks awsome and it has a large team working on it so yes i think so from what i played in the beta ( a cuple of hours) its by far the most fun i have had with an mmo since wow  

i would have gotten rift on day one if it wasnt for my fucking pc who is acting like a retard and crashes randomly at many games (something wrong with my screen settings) 

if you have a decent pc get it now or maby wait until it goes on sale on steam 

anyway here is a trailer  

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Do you out level zones like you do in WoW?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.