Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Riptide GP2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 23, 2013

A futuristic watercraft racer.

Has anybody played or heard anything about Riptide GP2?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I notice this dropped on the Xbox One store today. It's only $5, which is closer to free than it is to all the money. So, like, I should get it, right? It's irresponsible not to.

Anyway, I have the evening free and it looks like a spiritual successor to Hydro Thunder, which I remember loving. I looked up the developer, and it ends up that they put out that Hydro Thunder remake on XBLA a few years ago. So, my impression was probably right. I just wrapped up Dragon Age Inquisition and I'm looking for something a little lighter coming off that, and the idea of tripping on nostalgia sounds pretty good. Also, some of the screenshots imply this thing supports six player local, which I didn't realize was a thing.

Has anybody else picked this up or played it elsewhere? Looks like it's based on a mobile game.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The Android version was pretty fun. It does feel a lot like Hydro Thunder, though the course designs aren't quite as over the top if I'm remembering correctly.

For $5, I'd say it's probably worth it. I could see the game being a lot better with a physical controller rather than swiping a touchscreen.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hatking

@turtlebird95: I ended up buying it, and it's pretty deep for a $5 game. It has more objective types than most full priced racing games, a leveling and perks system, upgrades for vehicles, and a little bit of paint job customization. The map design is the biggest disappointment. Or, I guess I should say map variety. The maps there are pretty cool, if not a little more standard than I had hoped for, but it seems like there are very few of them. I'm in the second tier of objectives, and I feel like I've only seen two or three different environments, with one or two track variations within each. I'm not disappointed at all about the purchase though. It controls a lot like you'd expect this sort of arcade race to, and it runs great. It's not particularly beautiful, it's not ugly either, but the sturdy frame rate does a lot in a racing game.

I miss old racing games. What the fuck happened to the day when you'd be racing down a dirt track slamming into your opponent and watch a t rex running across the track ahead? Or hit a ramp and land inside an alien spaceship? Or slam into the right rock and cause an avalanche that opens a shortcut through an active volcano on the next lap? Goofy racing games died years ago, and now all we get is streets and streets and streets. I've almost completely lost interest in racing games as a genre because of how boring track design has become.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Sorry to necro this thread, just picked up the game after finding it randomly on the store whilst looking for something to play on my new X1, bloody love it! I played the hell out of Hydro Thunder on 360 and the first Riptide on Android (via a routed Ouya and an xbox controller) and this game is just as fun but as you say, does seem to feature way less in the way of environments. I've been looking for a Ridge Racer/Wave Race/Sanfranciso Rush type game since the new machines launched and i was disapointed to only see countless sims (forza, driveclub) and need for speed. I know its not quite the same but im so happy this game made it over to the current gen of consoles, its been a blast so far.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

I played it on iPad last year. It seemed OK, maybe it will be more fun with a real controller.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

@hatking: Game Informer dudes did a quick video playing it and it seemed ok. Especially considering the price.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Would be great to see this team do another Hydro Thunder or pick up the Rush franchise, they are all very similar but there is enough difference in the controls and environmental stuff that they could easily get the arcade racer thing back on track. As much as direct multiplayer is good and everything, its racing people's course ghosts and competing with your friends lap times that is the main draw for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.