Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

A follow up to 2013's Tomb Raider reboot. After the events of the previous game, Lara spends one year searching to explain what she saw. Her quest to explain immortality leads her to Siberia, home of a mythical city known as Kitezh.

PS4 Black Friday Deal Rise of the Tomb Raider: Worth it?

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

The PS4 Tomb Raider that just came out a month or so ago is going for 40% off or 49.99 for Black Friday this year. This game has been on my list for a while but not a must play. Should I just wait for FFXV and pick this up next year when its in the cheap bins or is it worth a look now?

Cheers!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's a good game, if you liked the last reboot it's better. I own the pc version though

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SSully

If you played and enjoyed the first one, this game is a much improved sequel. They took everything I loved from the first game and expanded upon it. If that sounds alright to you, then I say go for it. It's a really well made game and I had a lot of fun with it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's less focused than the reboot, but still a super great game.

Some of the open-world stuff seemed like filler, but the combat and puzzles are a good time. Looks great, surprisingly engaging story, and the PS4 version includes everything so I wound up getting it again.

If you skipped the first, start with the Definitive edition on PS4 before getting Rise.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought it was more fun than Uncharted 4 strictly from a gameplay perspective.

kmfrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By kmfrob

It's funny you say that because I'm going through the same dilemna (well I'm not considering buying FFXV... but you know...)

It's been a weird Black Friday for me because I bought a nice Samsung SUHD TV before the sales began (and to be fair the price of the TV hasn't actually dropped at all) and now you'd think I would be buying big budget games to play on it. But I just can't get excited for any of them... Watchdogs..hmmmm nah...Battlefield...meh...COD...yawn...

Out of all of the games being flogged on sale it's only really Tomb Raider and Dishonored that are even remotely interesting to me, and even then I'm not super excited about them.

I was really hoping Sony would do a deal on some of the indie lines...like I really want Enter the Gungeon and Hyper Light Drifter, but every time I see a £20 price tag I just end up putting off the purchase in hope of a price drop down the line.

But anyway, in answer to your question, it does seem like Tomb Raider is an excellent game. I enjoyed the previous game a lot at least so if it's an improvement on that then it must be good.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@kmfrob said:

It's funny you say that because I'm going through the same dilemna (well I'm not considering buying FFXV... but you know...)

It's been a weird Black Friday for me because I bought a nice Samsung SUHD TV before the sales began (and to be fair the price of the TV hasn't actually dropped at all) and now you'd think I would be buying big budget games to play on it. But I just can't get excited for any of them... Watchdogs..hmmmm nah...Battlefield...meh...COD...yawn...

Out of all of the games being flogged on sale it's only really Tomb Raider and Dishonored that are even remotely interesting to me, and even then I'm not super excited about them.

I was really hoping Sony would do a deal on some of the indie lines...like I really want Enter the Gungeon and Hyper Light Drifter, but every time I see a £20 price tag I just end up putting off the purchase in hope of a price drop down the line.

But anyway, in answer to your question, it does seem like Tomb Raider is an excellent game. I enjoyed the previous game a lot at least so if it's an improvement on that then it must be good.

It's the first game refined, it's paced well and avoids the QTE trap it fell in early during the first game. It's like the first game, but more, in the best way possible

kmfrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: Yeah that seems to be the concensus. I will probably end up picking it up closer to Christmas. And I've heard good things about it on the Pro too... Hmmm... I'm not going to buy a Pro!

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Had I played it in 2015, it would have likely made my top 5 GotY. I definitely say it's worth it.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the story stuff and Lara as a character was better as a whole in the first game, but the second game is an improvement in all other respects. It also has some of the most fun combat out there and more proper tombs this time around. The DLC (the first wave stuff, haven't played the other stuff that came out when this collection did) is short but fairly fun. The Endurance mode was especially note worthy since I dig survival stuff but it's wrapped in the already fun game mechanics.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@csl316: yah that's my take on the game as well - a refined if not less focused version of the reboot. Personally I thought the first game was a bit better because of its more streamlined pacing. Rise is a bit monotonous with its environments as well - but overall still an excellent game. It Certainly out-did Uncharted in terms of gameplay in every single way (in my opinion anyway).

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its worth 80 bucks let alone whatever the sale price is. yes

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think the story is weaker than the 2013 game (seriously, Crystal Dynamics, what is up with the writing in this otherwise masterful game). They both play similarly and have an open-ended exploration structure to the hub areas and environments.

I noticed the season pass is on sale for $6 on Xbox One btw, in case you only own the base game. Includes all the extra DLC in the 20th Anniversary Edition. I've only played the non-combat Croft Manor and Baba Yaga ones and they were both good. Hopefully will get a chance to try out the co-op survival mode to see what it's all about.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Yes, this game is worth it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think it's cheaper than that on PSN? Or at least it is in the US. It's a great game, I definitely recommend it.

Yeah, it's $40 on US PSN. Though, I guess if $50 is "40%" off you've got to be in Canada or somewhere, so I dunno!

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't know. It doesn't feel cheap to me. I hate how deva think they can move something to a new platform and suddenly charge a day 1 price again. Ignoring the platforms, this game came out last year. Doom came out this summer and it's 20 bucks.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@humanity said:

@csl316: yah that's my take on the game as well - a refined if not less focused version of the reboot. Personally I thought the first game was a bit better because of its more streamlined pacing. Rise is a bit monotonous with its environments as well - but overall still an excellent game. It Certainly out-did Uncharted in terms of gameplay in every single way (in my opinion anyway).

Agreed, I preferred the first but part of that might have been my surprise at how well done it was. Expected a half-assed Uncharted after 3 really good Crystal Dynamics TR games in a more classic style. Then the reboot came out, it was secretly a Metroidvania, and I did every single thing in it.

Problem with Rise is that I couldn't stop clicking the Lara-vision button. Constantly, to make sure I didn't miss a thing. And side-missions like "shoot some drones!" weren't particularly great.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@csl316: they executed that metroidvania part beautifully. Also man, I played Uncharted directly after Rise and the controls felt so sluggish in comparison.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably wait until it costs like twelve dollars. The sequel to the mediocre reboot isn't worth any more than that to me.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Shivoa

@dharmabum said:

I think the story is weaker than the 2013 game (seriously, Crystal Dynamics, what is up with the writing in this otherwise masterful game). They both play similarly and have an open-ended exploration structure to the hub areas and environments.

Ye, I was shocked when the credits roll and the same writers were involved. It seemed like Rise totally forgot about why character development was a good thing and would rather paint with such broad strokes that you meet basically Jesus in an Assassin's Creed parody. And then it won a load of awards for the writing and I felt like I was starting to lose my mind.

It's a good game, takes the mechanics that worked in the last one and expands upon them - if you want more of that then this has you covered. But if it was the characters that got you through the last game then maybe this is one to wait for the deep discounts.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I liked the story, character progression, pace, and sense of urgency of the first reboot better overall, but this game has more tomb raiding and puzzling and that's a good thing too. I am planning on rebuying it on PS4 at some point (probably once it hits sub-$40 in Canada).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.