Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Robot

Object » linked to 682 games

A mechanical lifeform, typically exhibiting superhuman abilities, that can be found in games as either the main protaganist or as powerful enemies or allies.

Difference between a robot and a mech?

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By gabha

Since there's a concept page for each, I think the blurb for each should specify when somethings a robot and when something's a mech, otherwise combine the pages.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#2  Edited By vigorousjammer

a robot is something that has some sort of artificial intelligence... a mech must be piloted by somebody.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64
    @Vigorousjammer said:
    " a robot is something that has some sort of artificial intelligence... a mech must be piloted by somebody. "
    I think Vig is right.
    Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Mech is a term generally related to Varitechs, Gundams, Mazinger, etc. Machines that require pilots.
    Robot/Androids is a term related so self suficient machines, like Megaman, or R2-D2. 

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By PureRok

There's also an object page for Mech. I think their blurbs are quite different:

Robot: "A mechanical lifeform, typically exhibiting superhuman abilities, that can be found in games as either the main protaganist or as powerful enemies or allies."

Mech: "They must be big, they must have legs (but not always), and they must have cockpits. That's a Mech!"

While I don't really agree with the tone of the Mech's blurb, the two do show a clear difference.

Edit: I bolded the more important differences.

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

@Vigorousjammer said:
    " a robot is something that has some sort of artificial intelligence... a mech must be piloted by somebody. "

Totally agree:

Robots are autonomous, while mechs are not.

minorinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By minorinya

Wait. What about remote-control robots?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Mech normally just refers to bigness. Plenty of mechs have no pilot. Under 10 feet tall, its a robot. Over 10 feet tall, its a mech. There.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By SlightConfuse

robot autoaamtion that acts on its own (R2-D2)

Mech- must be piloted like a gundam

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho

A ton of mechs in the Gundam series have no pilot. It normally serves as a plot twist or something, "oh no they made mechs that don't need pilots". The enemy mechs in Gurren Lagan have no pilot. NGE mechs function without a pilot at certain points. etc etc other nerdy references I'm ashamed of.

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By mowgers

I think 'robot' simply (and, as a result, quite broadly) refers to any complex practical machine designed to operate or be operated remotely to perform a specific function. A bomb disposal robot, the robots used in car factories and things like R2D2 are 'robots'. Furthermore, robots that are specifically humanoid and largely independent are androids, such as C3P0 or Megaman. The designation of 'mech' or 'mecha' to describe some kind of mechanical personal armour (unmanned or otherwise) should largely be up to the intention of the author/ designer, however they are still robots. I don't think a genuinely accurate description can be made, though it's most appropriate in media either from or influenced by Japanese games/ manga/ animation. The term serves well enough to cover the broad range of walking tanks/ power armour/ 'gundam' type units you'll see, but it's certainly not clear. Is a hound from Chromehounds a mech? If yes, does that make an AT-ST from Star Wars a mech too, seen as both are non-humanoid, piloted combat walkers?  

EDIT: Also, damn, didn't realise this thread was fully necro'd. Nothing quite like giving your two bits to a discussion that happened a year and a half ago...

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By TheFreeMan
    @ryanwho said:
    " A ton of mechs in the Gundam series have no pilot. It normally serves as a plot twist or something, "oh no they made mechs that don't need pilots". The enemy mechs in Gurren Lagan have no pilot. NGE mechs function without a pilot at certain points. etc etc other nerdy references I'm ashamed of. "
    I'm not very far into Gurren Lagann yet, but aren't the enemy mechs piloted? It's how the dude with the shades gets his, he hijacks it from a beastman.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.