Favorite Robot?

#1 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1890 posts) -

Robots play a huge role video games, movies, and T.V. Let's face it, anybody who's anybody has a favorite form of robot; like human/robot (Mega Man) or straight-up robot,(The Terminator). Or robots that are control by humans like the mech suits.

This thread is about are favorite robots. Please, share your love for your favorite robot - talk about what makes that robot so great.

Here's my pick.

!?.............................?!
Q - Though it was never confirm if he really is a robot, but for now, I'm going to say he is a robot. When Q made his debut in Street Fighter III, he invoked three things: - fear, destruction, and mystery.

There's a lot of rumors surrounding this guy, one of them being is that witness the fall of Shadowloo during the events of Street Fighter II, another is that he's actually a former Street Fighter character in disguise. Also.....what is his true purpose for being apart of the Street Fighter series?

He's a great defensive character in Street Fighter III, and also a great counter-character against Akuma - Akuma's weakness is lack of defense.

Also, what's makes this character so great? Well, I think it's due to the fact that he (Like many other character that debut in Street Fighter III) is a well design character in terms of personalty, play-style, and all the crazy mysterious back-story; which makes him a welcome addition. When Q walks into the stage, he makes people run away in fear. He's also a destructive force - this guy can sent his opponents flying several feet in the air by punching them in the gut. And when he wins, he walks towards his opponents and place his foot on their face.

#2 Edited by Bigandtasty (3204 posts) -

Canti from FLCL. Cleaning houses and owning Little League by daylight, fighting other random robots and various other ??? by moonlight.

Q is pretty bomb though (although I don't think he's a robot personally)...TOTAL DESTRUCTION is the best Super Art ever. To win a match with Total Destruction is to win life itself.

P.S. why didn't you put the picture of Q ruining the rest of the 3rd strike cast in here?
#3 Posted by spankingaddict (2735 posts) -

easy.... wall-e. cant really explain why, i just love that little guy

#4 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -

Well its not a robot but its an android, Marvin the Paranoid Android in fact.

#5 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -

Nordom from Planescape: Torment.

#6 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1890 posts) -
@Bigandtasty said:
P.S. why didn't you put the picture of Q ruining the rest of the 3rd strike cast in here?
You mean this?

Q, the master

#7 Posted by Bigandtasty (3204 posts) -
@Kou_Leifoh: Yep.
#8 Posted by cdfishman (259 posts) -

johnny 5 form short circuit.

johnny 5 IS ALIVVEEE!!!!

#9 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1890 posts) -

I guess the other robot that's my favorite is Tom 2.0 - the host of Toonami.

#10 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

Bishop from Aliens was cool.

#11 Posted by buzz_clik (7024 posts) -

I'm a mad keen robot fan, born out of watching Astro Boy a lot as a kid. I'm still totally into robots these days, and draw a lot of them.

One of my favourites is Mazinger. Not that I've actually ever followed the history or universe - I know sod all about the story - but I just love the design. When I was really young, my cousin gave me this bad boy. When I got a bit older, at an age I was too young to realise its value, my parents threw this gem out. The more I grew up, the more I lamented this event...

I once told my girlfriend this story, thinking nothing of it. That year for Christmas, she'd managed to track one down and surprise me with it. I swear, that woman is too good for me.

#12 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -

That big dude from TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. The giant, dark grey motherfucker. Its flavour text is something along the lines of "[insert random number here]. All killing, all the time." Best character in any TS game. I would laugh in the face of all the Monkey and Carrion Carcass noobs after wiping the floor with them using one of the biggest targets.

#13 Edited by Bigvic785 (120 posts) -

R.O.B

EDIT: BTW skip to 1:12 to get to ROB

#14 Posted by Pienaim (15 posts) -

My favorite robot is Lucy Lawless's character Number 3 (D'Anna) from the new Battlestar Galactica.  For me at least, watching her go head to head with Adama and Roslin, or even the other cylons was awesome.  She was just badass to put it simply, lol.  I was not a fan of her ending in the series but that's gone and done so bitching about it won't really get me anywhere.  She was so pivotal and mysterious throughout the series and so incredibly powerful.

#15 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -
@Kou_Leifoh said:
"I guess the other robot that's my favorite is Tom 2.0 - the host of Toonami.

"

He's definetely a favorite of mine, but me personally, it's tied between him and the first Tom. I think it was like Bomberman with a big gut (plus he didn't last long in that form as the host. It was like only, what, a year?)
#16 Posted by yakov456 (1923 posts) -

Bender of course.

#17 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

#18 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1657 posts) -

Bender, or Deputy Weld... Liberty Prime is awesome spitting out hate against communism while THROWING BOMBS.

cool in my book
#19 Posted by carlthenimrod (1599 posts) -

Voltron

I'll form the head.

#20 Posted by ki11tank (682 posts) -

i only know one by name and its bender so...

#21 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1890 posts) -
@Alaska_Gamer: I think I remember how the original Tom died. I don't know, I want to say that he got killed by this liquid material; that invaded his space ship.

I really like Tom 2.0 because Steve Blum was doing the voice of the character. And I think that was before Cowboy Bebop made its debut in the U.S.
#22 Edited by JeffGoldblum (3715 posts) -
Aigis of Persona 3.
Its either Mega Man or Aigis. I cant decide.
The Blue Bomber
#23 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3715 posts) -
@Br3adfan said:
"
"
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM.
#24 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Megaman & Astroboy

#25 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1890 posts) -

I can 't leave out X.

"Time to get serious."

#26 Edited by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -
  • Obvious answer: Bender B. Rodríguez (Futurama), because Bender is great!
  • Old school answer: CHOMPS (C.H.O.M.P.S.~ 1979) partly because the dog was cute, but mostly because I could have an excuse to hang with a hot Valerie Bertinelli. 
  • Video game answer: HK-47 (Knights of the Old Republic) because he could destroy my enemies, meatbag.
  • Sentimental answer: Wall-E and EVE (Wall-E ~ 2008) because love is joyous...and sometimes toe-tappin'.
  • Obscure answer: Pimpbot 5000 (Late Night with Conan O'Brian) because he's got the hook up to all the sweet hos.
  • If I was still 10 answer: Jet Jaguar (Godzilla vs Megalon ~ 1973) because every kid wants their own fighting robot who knows Godzilla
  • Creepy answer: Vicki (Small Wonder) because who wouldn't want a "Voice Input Child Indenticant" who brings love and laughter everywhere?

#27 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

Bender Bending Rodriguez!

#28 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -
@Kou_Leifoh: Yeah, it was during Toonami's first TIE event, The Intruder. I'll still never figure out what that thing was supposed to be, but I was surprised when Tom died..

But I do like Tom 2 because of Steve Blum as the voice over as well. Heck, his voice was all I needed just to watch the English dub of Bebop (good thing the other voices were good).
#29 Posted by SoulEdgeSlayer (534 posts) -

Need I say more?
#30 Posted by Burns09 (340 posts) -
Optimus Prime, leader of the Autobots.
^yes
#31 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Also, Six Machine from Viewtiful Joe (of which there is apparently no good pictures of on the entire internet), Megaman X and Zero, and Casshern.
#32 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -
#33 Posted by ArcLyte (893 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.