Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

Rock Band 3 spices up the brand with the addition of a keyboard peripheral as well as "Pro Mode," and offers eighty-three new songs to rock out to.

Keyboard: 1 or 2 hands?

cmsJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By cmsJustin

I've been going through the pro-keys trainer when I can (I think I'm about 50% done), and the suggestions for hand placement always show one hand. This feels a little weird. My left hand just kinda hangs out on the couch or somewhere else on the controller. And if it's a lower-octave part, I have to reach across my body or turn the keyboard toward my right hand for it to feel natural. Should I be using two hands and keeping them semi-still on the keyboard so that I can play all of the keys without moving? Or is this meant to be a 1-handed experience (aside from the stupid touch tremolo thingy)? I suppose in real piano, you would be using your left hand to play bass chords in most songs...

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By destruktive
    @cmsJustin said:
    " I've been going through the pro-keys trainer when I can (I think I'm about 50% done), and the suggestions for hand placement always show one hand. This feels a little weird. My left hand just kinda hangs out on the couch or somewhere else on the controller. And if it's a lower-octave part, I have to reach across my body or turn the keyboard toward my right hand for it to feel natural. Should I be using two hands and keeping them semi-still on the keyboard so that I can play all of the keys without moving? Or is this meant to be a 1-handed experience (aside from the stupid touch tremolo thingy)? I suppose in real piano, you would be using your left hand to play bass chords in most songs... "
    I'd go for a mixture. 
    Depending on the song etc.. I haven't gotten the keyboard or the game yet (GIMME MA GAME) but when I do I'll probably play mostly with both hands.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

For what I've been doing so far, one hand seems fine, even slightly easier. I can imagine hard and expert pro-keys almost requiring two hands though. Whatever feels right for each song and difficulty I guess.

Drumminjay108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Drumminjay108

It is meant for one-hand.  If you play two hands you are just limiting yourself.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor

On Pro mode, the higher in difficulty you go, the more the part is meant to accurately mimic the real life right hand part of the piano score. Essentially, it's only meant to be played with one hand. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Vitor said:
    " On Pro mode, the higher in difficulty you go, the more the part is meant to accurately mimic the real life right hand part of the piano score. Essentially, it's only meant to be played with one hand.  "
    Wait, you mean to tell me pro keys has no left handed parts for songs coded in? Cause that would seriously cause me to reconsider getting a keyboard for RB3. I thought it was the full piano parts.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vitor
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " @Vitor said:
    " On Pro mode, the higher in difficulty you go, the more the part is meant to accurately mimic the real life right hand part of the piano score. Essentially, it's only meant to be played with one hand.  "
    Wait, you mean to tell me pro keys has no left handed parts for songs coded in? Cause that would seriously cause me to reconsider getting a keyboard for RB3. I thought it was the full piano parts. "
    There aren't enough Keys on the instrument to do full piano parts - only 25 after all. I remember seeing an interview where they said that what you're playing on expert pro keys is essentially what you'd play in real life, but with one of the hands. Some songs might be left, others right, but you won't be playing the full piano part - that's not physically possible as it is with the pro guitar instruments.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By wefwefasdf

I was under the impression it was for both hands. That is disappointing.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mrskidders

I play the piano anyway so I can't help but use 2 hands.  Doesn't feel overly great though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

If it's only 2 octaves using 2 hands for a long period of time would get uncomfortable. I guess it depends how large your hands are.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Vitor said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:
    " @Vitor said:
    Wait, you mean to tell me pro keys has no left handed parts for songs coded in? Cause that would seriously cause me to reconsider getting a keyboard for RB3. I thought it was the full piano parts. "
    There aren't enough Keys on the instrument to do full piano parts - only 25 after all. I remember seeing an interview where they said that what you're playing on expert pro keys is essentially what you'd play in real life, but with one of the hands. Some songs might be left, others right, but you won't be playing the full piano part - that's not physically possible as it is with the pro guitar instruments. "
    Well they do have the MIDI pro adaptor for fullsized keyboards, so I thought that was going to be accommodated, but now that seems kindof pointless to do. I'll probably stick to drums.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.