Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

Rock Band 3 spices up the brand with the addition of a keyboard peripheral as well as "Pro Mode," and offers eighty-three new songs to rock out to.

So who is going to invest in the pro guitar?

rockhopper78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rockhopper78

Just curious as to how many out there are excited about pro mode and the price to invest in it. Are you more willing to buy the Fender Mustang Pro guitar for $149.99 or will you wait and go all out for the Squier Stratocaster (real) guitar early next year for presumably $250-300?

I think the pro mode will be exciting for anyone interested in learning guitar and I would definitely like to try it, I just don't know about the price. Way too high at a time right now when there are so many games to get.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, I think the price is the major issue. I want to learn guitar and what not, own my own guitar. But at the same time I'm pretty lazy and I kind of just want to play a game that vaguely simulates guitar-ism.  

I'm on the fence, I think. Again, we'll see how the pricing shakes out. I just don't want to drop several hundred dollars on an item I'll get tired of using.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Azteck

I want the game a lot, but I just can't put down that kind of money on it. I have it, yes, but it's all going toward a gaming PC which will, in the long run, give me far more mileage than a plastic guitar. Even if it would help me pick up some guitar things to use "IRL"

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'm definitely willing, but unfortunately my wallet isn't quite there yet. Once I can get some money I'll be all over that Squier.

Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Scapegoat

Definitely look at picking up/importing the Mustang. 

Just a note to people thinking about picking it up to get into learning guitar (and are worried about the price): once you start playing you'll find that in the world of musical instruments $150 is a drop in the ocean... you'll be eying up guitars and amps that are more expensive than the PS3 on release!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Afroman269

I will and since I'm tossing down big money I'm not getting the button guitar, I'm going to wait for the fancy real one.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I want to get the keyboards first before the pro guitar. I'm still cool with five buttons. Some time down the road when I can spend 150 dollars on a controller, I'll pick it up because it really intrigues me.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By cnlmullen

Even if I had a PS3 or 360, I don't think I'd be able to stomach paying $250 bucks for a "gaming" instrument.  

Real instruments are a sightly different story, but even then, I'd hesitate to spend more then $400 on a guitar.  IMHO The quality of the sound of a guitar is so insignificant relative to quality of the player, it's just not worth big bucks. 

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By hawkinson76

Have job, can pay, would pay $300 for the fender, undecided on the plastic. hoping that keys + pro drums (I love expert drums!) keeps my interest, but my wife really wants the guitar. Then again, the plastic one IS easier to play... ah hell. 

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shirogane

They should just let us plug in real guitars and stuff at this point. Couldn't be too hard to program right? 
    Ah hell, scratch that, sound programming is annoying as all hell, whatever.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By CL60
    @Azteck said:
    " I want the game a lot, but I just can't put down that kind of money on it. I have it, yes, but it's all going toward a gaming PC which will, in the long run, give me far more mileage than a plastic guitar. Even if it would help me pick up some guitar things to use "IRL" "
    One of the pro guitars is a real guitar, not plastic. You can use it in an amp and everything.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Azteck
    @CL60 said:
    " @Azteck said:
    " I want the game a lot, but I just can't put down that kind of money on it. I have it, yes, but it's all going toward a gaming PC which will, in the long run, give me far more mileage than a plastic guitar. Even if it would help me pick up some guitar things to use "IRL" "
    One of the pro guitars is a real guitar, not plastic. You can use it in an amp and everything. "
    Even so. I wouldn't be able to make peace with my mind about having bought it. I get some serious buyers remorse usually.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By skrutop

I'm hoping to get the Mustang for Christmas.  If not, I'll sell my Squier Strat and get the RB-compatible one.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CABBAGES

Should get the mustang and the keyboard with the game next week and maybe get the real guitar when it comes out too.
    plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By plop1920

I already have a guitar that I dont know how to play so I'm just going to buy the mustang

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By birchman

Absolutely.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By A Likely Story

Maybe. Thinking about for Christmas, but I'm still a bit on the fence.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By toowalrus

I don't want anything to do with the plastic pro guitar. I know that I would buy the stratocaster day one though, if a left-handed model was available.

Tripleperc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tripleperc

Definitely going to buy the pro guitar. Tired of fc-ing with the 5-button guitar and need a more difficult way to play

ST1LL_iLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ST1LL_iLL

I'll be investing in the pro guitar. Getting the Mustang since it'll be cheaper, and I wont need to build up finger strength or calluses to use it. Wont get it right a way though. Probably beginning of next year. I'll make learning the guitar my new years resolution.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21  Edited By GS_Dan
    @TooWalrus: It isn't left handed in the hardware, but Harmonix have said you can swap the strings around (apparently takes 10 mins) and enable lefty flip in the game. Just an FYI.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#22  Edited By StarvingGamer

I'll be buying the Mad Catz, I can dig out my old acoustic if I want to subject myself to the pain of STRINGS

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By melcene
    @rockhopper78 said:
    " Just curious as to how many out there are excited about pro mode and the price to invest in it. Are you more willing to buy the Fender Mustang Pro guitar for $149.99 or will you wait and go all out for the Squier Stratocaster (real) guitar early next year for presumably $250-300?  I think the pro mode will be exciting for anyone interested in learning guitar and I would definitely like to try it, I just don't know about the price. Way too high at a time right now when there are so many games to get. "
    I already have a real guitar (that I don't really play) and my husband has a bass.  Ironic considering that usually in RB he plays guitar and I play bass.  But anyway, I'll probably be picking up the Pro guitar for Christmas as the family present, and doubt I'll pick up the Squier.  $150 is about what I paid for my Epiphone guitar/amp kit since it was kind of a beginners deal.  
    Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Stahlbrand

I plan on buying the Mustang, seeing if I can hack it as far as chords and learning goes without slicing my fingers up before maybe getting the Squire, price and date unknown as it stands.

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Bigrhyno

I play real guitar so it is kind of tempting, but I am still not sure. If I do I will be waiting for the real guitar.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I still can't get through all songs on Expert on Guitar, nor do I really like guitar, will be fun to try out though. I'm getting the keyboard sometime, might get the drums but... IDK drums are my favourite, but I rocking the Rock Band 1 kit and I think the attention is on the keyboard anyway.

TOXICSHLOCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TOXICSHLOCK

I am definitely going to line up to get violated, willingly pay the outrageous price for a damn squier. I love to play real guitar and Rockband with my buds, I have my lil plastic guitars next to my real ones, I respect what RB(and guitar hero for that matter)  has done for folks general interest in music overall.   I can honestly say the RB Drum mode actually got me to think about how to use my limbs independently to aid in the attempt of real drums, I am not claiming to do super well on real skins (i respect those who do), but damn it took me from completely useless on real drums to being able to do some damage.  That ability had always escaped me before the hours and hours of drunken fun with pals on my lil plastic RB set! 

My hope is that next round (or possibly this) they expand upon the keys on the keyboard. You can get a 49 key MIDI keyboard from MAUDIO for $90, would make that really cool aspect of the new RockBand even more relevant to folks who may play piano (or would like to get better!).  

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By septim

I'll wait for the obligatory music peripheral clearance blow-out.

Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scapegoat
    @TooWalrus said:
    " I don't want anything to do with the plastic pro guitar. I know that I would buy the stratocaster day one though, if a left-handed model was available. "
    The Fender Squire will work fine with lefties as you can still turn on lefty mode. If you want to use it as a real guitar all you'll have to do is restring it.
    vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#30  Edited By vigorousjammer

I'm gonna definitely get the squire, and if any of my friends start learning how to do pro-guitar, I'll get the mustang as a second one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.