Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

Rock Band 3 spices up the brand with the addition of a keyboard peripheral as well as "Pro Mode," and offers eighty-three new songs to rock out to.

Using a real electric guitar w/ RB3 via MIDI pickup?

Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Sn1PeR

Anyone know if there has been any announcement about this?  I would love to simply purchase a midi pickup like one of those Roland GK's and use the RB3 midi interface to play with my real guitar on the 360.  Buying a crappy Squire right now seems like a no go.  I know you can plug a real keyboard into the RB3 midi interface -- psyched about that!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

EDIT (I was horribly wrong): 

They are selling a MIDI converter box, but you can't use any standard MIDI guitar. Which is weak sauce.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By skrutop
    @Sn1PeR: @JJWeatherman: Actually, I don't think that's right. I couldn't find the reference, but I'm pretty sure I read that you can't play pro guitars with the MIDI interface.  The Squier Strat has tech built into the neck so that it can determine where your fingers are.  The normal guitars won't work. 

Also, at PAX, they said that the Squier Strats won't be available at launch :(
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @skrutop: True, but the Mustang version is basically a regular MIDI guitar with a billion buttons. The Squire's just special.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " Yes, they are selling a MIDI converter box for like $30 that from what I understand will work for guitars too. "
    If that's true that would be awesome and would save me a lot of money. But I don't think it's possible because the RB3 Squire guitar has all sorts of techy stuff inside
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @natetodamax said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " Yes, they are selling a MIDI converter box for like $30 that from what I understand will work for guitars too. "
    If that's true that would be awesome and would save me a lot of money. But I don't think it's possible because the RB3 Squire guitar has all sorts of techy stuff inside "
    Yeah, because it needs it to be able to know where your fingers are located due to it being a modified real-ass guitar. I'm 99% sure MIDI guitars will work. As I mentioned earlier, the Mustang is a MIDI guitar, so why would any other MIDI guitar not work? 

Here's the Mustang: 

No Caption Provided
    szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By szlifier
    @JJWeatherman said:

Here's the Mustang: 

No Caption Provided
    "
    What about bending?  FAIL.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By 234r2we232
    @skrutop said:

"Also, at PAX, they said that the Squier Strats won't be available at launch :( "

Yes. I too was sad at this news. But, with the keyboard bundle being available at launch, I can wait happily :).

Any word on pricing for the Squier?
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By skrutop
    @JJWeatherman said:
    Yeah, because it needs it to be able to know where your fingers are located due to it being a modified real-ass guitar. I'm 99% sure MIDI guitars will work. As I mentioned earlier, the Mustang is a MIDI guitar, so why would any other MIDI guitar not work? 
    I've never used a MIDI guitar before.  That'd be cool if it works; might save some money on having to buy RB-specific gear. 

@sofacitysweetheart said:
    Yes. I too was sad at this news. But, with the keyboard bundle being available at launch, I can wait happily :).  Any word on pricing for the Squier? "
    Not yet; they said that they're trying to keep it as close to the price of a normal Squier Strat as they can.   

A new, plain-Jane Standard runs somewhere around $230, using Sam Ash as an example.  My expectation is that they'll take the parts from a cheaper model and add the RB tech to get to their price point (around $300, though I'm hoping for $250). 
    Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Zell
    @JJWeatherman:  
    Midi guitars unfortunately wont work.   

HMXtronaut on the rockband forums said:

Thanks for all of the interest in the new hardware. We’ve been working closely with Mad Catz through this cycle and I wanted to drop in and clear up some rumors and misinformation. Understandably, this year’s blurring of gameplay and reality has created some great questions from the community and I wanted to come in and set the record straight:

Old News and Rumors Confirmed:

- The MIDIPro adapter will be required to connect the Squier to your console of choice
    - The MIDIPro’s guitar setting is not compatible with traditional MIDI guitar equipment.

Rationale: The MIDIPro and the Squier use additional non-proprietary (SysEx) commands to communicate required fret positioning to RB3. In addition to allowing HOPOs, we needed to keep processing time down to a minimum in order to keep the game playable. (Have you seen the Rainbow in the Dark chart?) When good rhythm gameplay comes down to milliseconds, traditional MIDI devices were simply not fast enough and this required a custom “ground-up” solution.

New To You News (because I noticed davidshek wondering about this in some other thread)

- The MIDIPro is prepped to intelligently translate for a number of different e-drums models.
    This includes “several” of the popular entry-level drumkits that are non-customizable. Any high-end brains with programmable MIDI should be able to be user-configured to the MIDIPro’s data requirements, which will available at product launch. 

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By 234r2we232

Again, pretty sure this is mentioned every time they promote the Pro guitar.

They're doing a good job at making this thing sound very expensive, tho :/

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nukesniper

I thought that you couldn't do it because the Squire they are making reads where your fingers are. The squire works as both, but I don't think that a Real guitar can tell the game if you are using the right fingering, it would have to check tuning and sound. 

The MIDI box was assumed to be for keyboards, and maybe electronic drum kits would work, but I thought they had confirmed that you can't use just any old guitar with the MIDI box to play.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @zell: Wow, I never got a PM about your last comment. That's really weak sauce though. Their explanation makes sense though. At least keyboards and drum kits seem to be supported fairly well.
    Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

Oh wow, no wonder they're being so mum about the pro guitar.

We'd need the guitar + adapter to play it, unless it comes in a bundle.  I'm guessing a $300-400 price tag would probably cause a huge ragestorm months before the product is available. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.