Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shark

Concept »

The shark is an underwater animal that is often stereotyped for its vicious killing of prey. In video games, they are used as enemies in underwater levels or a plot device used to keep the player away from the ocean.

Why am I afraid of videogame sharks?

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is gonna sound weird, but if you die in real life, you're done, whereas if you die in the game, you have to do that section over again, which is a pain. That's why I hate video game sharks personally. Also, in a game like AC4, you're powerless to fight the sharks. You can't kill them. The scariest enemies to me in Resident Evil 4 are the regenerators before you can kill them, because there's just nothing you can do to stop them. So maybe it's similar for sharks as well.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phobia of video game sharks, and not real sharks? You hear something new every day :p

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Sharks rarely come at you head on, they are usually coming from behind or below, out of your field of view, which is particularly frustrating in a video game where you have very limited awareness of anything that isn't directly in front of you.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Year of the shark.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

See, I hate video game spiders, to the point where I've stopped playing them when I found out they were in it, can't take it. Then again, if there's a spider I my room I almost get paralyzed, so I'm pathetic that way.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By BBAlpert
    @afabs515 said:

This is gonna sound weird, but if you die in real life, you're done, whereas if you die in the game, you have to do that section over again, which is a pain. That's why I hate video game sharks personally. Also, in a game like AC4, you're powerless to fight the sharks. You can't kill them. The scariest enemies to me in Resident Evil 4 are the regenerators before you can kill them, because there's just nothing you can do to stop them. So maybe it's similar for sharks as well.

I just wrote up a whole thing about how the sharks in AC4 are mostly pushovers once you start upgrading your harpoons, then deleted it when I realized you were talking about the diving bell sections. Yeah, those sharks are total dicks.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fuck sharks. Fuck all sharks, real or video game (not really real sharks are cool just not near me).

Your stories about diving with Sharks....man. I was WAY into scuba diving until the first time I bumped into a reef shark (not literally collided, but...you know). That experience told me everything I needed to know about my fitness for that endeavor.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This is really weird. Im interested to hear peoples theories on this.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate video game sharks. But the good news is the more exposure to them you have, the less awful they become, between Batman Arkham City and AC4, I have gritted my teeth and faced down a number of the sea devils, dicks.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert said:
    @afabs515 said:

I just wrote up a whole thing about how the sharks in AC4 are mostly pushovers once you start upgrading your harpoons, then deleted it when I realized you were talking about the diving bell sections. Yeah, those sharks are total dicks.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the sharks you can harpoon. My bad. I should have been more specific in my first post.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

you are not alone... i have shark phobia as well...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@jacdg: So basically the best Christmas present for you would be a box of spiders? :D

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's not just sharks for me, it's anything that chases me around in a situation where I cannot defend myself. That shit sends me into an almost panic attack.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I'm not scared of sharks but I am scared of plot devices.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

My fear stems from Banjo-Kazooie. Like the second level had a shark that would eat you if you were in the water too long. 7 year old me was so scared of that...

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacdg: So basically the best Christmas present for you would be a box of spiders? :D

I'm sure I'd actually die of shock.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Loading Video...

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Me too, man i was freaking out in the water in Farcry 3.

At least in AC4 you get the opportunity to gank them.

FUCK SHARKS.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Stuff like this doesn't bug me much, but spiders if they are done really well can be a little icky to me (damn I hate spiders). Limbo was kinda gross that way. Skyrim's a little too.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crysis had the most terrifying sharks. They were used to deter you from going out too far in the ocean. So you would you swim out and out of the pitch black water would come a big fucking shark.

Loading Video...

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By crithon

I think it's the whole navigation of an extra axis. Because flying creatures I can deal with, it's just "now I can't reorient myself what's going on where are these bites coming from" I often feel this way since Quake and Half Life 1 under water battles with fish monsters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.