Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shattered Horizon

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 04, 2009

Shattered Horizon is an online multiplayer first-person shooter by Futuremark Games Studio that makes heavy use of zero gravity environments.

Shattered Horizon Online Gameplay

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoelTGM

This game just came out, it's nuts.  Here's a video I recorded today.  I play it on the lowest settings possible, and look how good it still looks.  Also for those wondering why there is sound in space, well it's the future and your suit simulates audio for you, but it can be knocked out or manually turned off where all you hear is your breathing, heartbeat, and muffled sounds off your own gun shooting.

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xelloss

Oh I was wondering why there was sound cause in the trailer I was like um why am I seeing videos with sounds, but that makes since.  Just bought it and installing it now, thanks for the video.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

I've gone totally off the idea of this game because of the whole sound thing, the sound thing is dumb, how could a suit possibly simulate such a non audible and complex aural environment, in real time. It's nonsense.  I would have preferred it if no choice was given to the player, that way there would actually be something unique about this game, but as it stands there's very little that's unique when you have the more fleshed out Crysis Wars available.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By turbomonkey138

What did you use to record . If its FRAPS then it better than any other FRAPS video i have ever seen  .

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Linkyshinks said:

" I've gone totally off the idea of this game because of the whole sound thing, the sound thing is dumb, how could a suit possibly simulate such a non audible and complex aural environment, in real time. It's nonsense.  I would have preferred it if no choice was given to the player, that way there would actually be something unique about this game, but as it stands there's very little that's unique when you have the more fleshed out Crysis Wars available. "

It's not a player choice to go deaf, it's different functions. If you wanna be stealthy/invisible to radar/whatever the drawback is losing all your suit's functions including sound, thrusters, HUD, gravity boots, etc as per the quote I posted in the other thread.

Though it would still be nice to have the ability to enforce a completely mute server that disables sound for players regardless of mode. Mods? Either way, it looks fun as hell in a simplistic Counter-Strike-in-space kind of way, I'll definitely try it out whenever I get Windows 7 installed.
    Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Xelloss

I played a few good rounds after installing, had a blast.  Can't wait to play some more tomorrow!

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Siris

Wow this game does look really cool, thanks for sharing.

Is it multiplayer online battles only or is there some kind of co-op, single player aspect as well? I'll have to check it out.

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Siris
    @Linkyshinks: Wow, how about actually playing the game and giving it a fair review instead of just throwing your stupid preconceived notions about sound in space at it? IT'S A GAME! The creators can put literally ANYTHING they feel like putting into it, because the idea is to HAVE FUN!

Having said that, I like that they give you a choice between limited sound, or full sound. Giving the players more choices is usually a good thing, and in this case I definitely think it is.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's not a "choice" between limited sound and full sound, it's different suit functions with different advantages and disadvantages (see my last comment). Nobody in his right mind would choose to have no sound as it would simply be a disadvantage when everybody else has sound.

Unless the server could enforce it as per my wishes in the last comment (and in the other threads). That would be nice and a true "choice" then.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JoelTGM
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " What did you use to record . If its FRAPS then it better than any other FRAPS video i have ever seen  . "
    yes that's fraps recording at 30 fps half size video.
    Krenor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Krenor
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I've gone totally off the idea of this game because of the whole sound thing, the sound thing is dumb, how could a suit possibly simulate such a non audible and complex aural environment, in real time. It's nonsense.  I would have preferred it if no choice was given to the player, that way there would actually be something unique about this game, but as it stands there's very little that's unique when you have the more fleshed out Crysis Wars available. "
    you probably didn't like Star Wars because it wasn't "realistic" right? its a game learn to have some fun
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kblt
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I've gone totally off the idea of this game because of the whole sound thing, the sound thing is dumb, how could a suit possibly simulate such a non audible and complex aural environment, in real time. It's nonsense."
    It's called:

SCIENCE
    Avatar image for everybody_poops
    Everybody_Poops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Everybody_Poops
    @Linkyshinks: What 
    Man that is terrible reason to dislike this game.
    And having sound doesn't make it any 'less' unique. I guess having colour and using a base 10 number system also makes it less unique by your logic.
    This game looks great, but I wish there was more than one gun.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Everybody_Poops: 
    the reason for a single gun according to devs is so that player skill and team work are what wins battles and not picking up a better weapon.  The assault rifle has a 60 round mag, and when you zoom in it fires a super fast 10 round burst allowing it to snipe but of course it runs out of ammo faster.  It also has three different grenade types that it can fire, an EMP grenade that knocks out suit electronics, an MPR grenade that creates a shockwave sending people flying away, and an ice grenade that disperses water that instantly freezes into a white cloud.  Then you can also just fly up to someone and melee them, ripping their suit open and instantly killing them.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Diamond
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    @Everybody_Poops:  the reason for a single gun according to devs is so that player skill and team work are what wins battles and not picking up a better weapon.
    I don't buy that for a minute.  The real reason for the single gun is making lots of weapons and balancing it costs money and development time.  The game is woefully simple...
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Diamond said:
    " @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    @Everybody_Poops:  the reason for a single gun according to devs is so that player skill and team work are what wins battles and not picking up a better weapon.
    I don't buy that for a minute.  The real reason for the single gun is making lots of weapons and balancing it costs money and development time.  The game is woefully simple... "
    Ok believe that if you want.
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Novyx
    @Diamond:

Have you played it? The game is a blast, plain and simple. It's built around its core concept, not its arsenal. The rifle is more than competent, and come on, where would they store an arsenal? It's a simple, effective loadout with no real weaknesses, and the real joy in the game comes not from being distracted by what gun you want next, but simply improving your movement, navigation, and teamwork. Until you see a team of sixteen rush around every side of a cluster of asteroids, spraying streams of fire through space while tumbling from cover to cover as they head towards the next command point, you really haven't seen what this game has to offer.

Also, it is awesome to walk under the 'wrong' side of a map and melee guys from behind.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Diamond
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    Ok believe that if you want.
    Well considering I've played the game, I know that.

@Novyx:
    I didn't find anything particularly entertaining about the game.  The core concept is extremely simplistic, and I get bored of it very quickly.  Sure one gun is realistic, but the game is simple in every way.  Most of the level design is very open, so you're thinking about movement less than in most FPS titles.
    Doikor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Doikor
    @Diamond:  It's a zero g FPS game. The movement is bound to be the main thing in the game and if it wouldnt be why bother making it zero g?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.