Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 20, 2003

As the world comes to an end through the acts of a cult's sacrifice, a teenage boy is transformed into the Demi-Fiend, neither fully human nor demon. With opposing forces fighting to shape a new world, he has the power to guide the path of its creation.

Considering a playthrough of SMT Nocturne/Lucifer's Call

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Edited By MEATBALL

So I finally got done watching the Persona 4 Endurance Run and it got me in the mood to try my hand at some ShinTen. The only Shin Megami Tensei game I own is Lucifer's Call, a game I picked up in the PS2 heyday when I loved me some JRPGs. Obviously there are some marked differences between Persona 4 and SMT3. However, I remember being really interested in this game in the lead-up to its release (in spite of no prior experience with the series) thanks to its really interesting art direction, strong reviews and word-of-mouth. I was really excited when I managed to pick up one of the very few locally available copies around release.

However, when I played it at the time I wasn't really feeling it. I don't remember particularly enjoying the dungeons or finding much interest in the story and I don't remember getting much of a grasp for the combat system and recruiting/fusing monsters. Then I ran into The Matador. I was completely demolished. What an arsehole. At that point I put the game back on the shelf. It was an experience that was far from encouraging. In spite of all that, I did feel there was something there, and I regretted the fact I found parts of it disinteresting and too difficult.

So now, here I am. The game has finally been pulled back off the shelf and I'm very close to sliding it into my PS3 (and hoping it's backwards compatible - I still have my PS2, though, so failing that I'll still be able to give it another try). It's a tad daunting, to be honest, I'm somewhat expecting that I just won't like it. The thought hit me, however, why not turn to my fellow Giant Bomb members for some advice?

So...any advice for someone who is essentially a Shin Megami Tensei newbie?

Failing that, I'm strongly considering buying Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 (and likely will regadless of how this SMT3 experiment turns out). Speaking to a friend who adores Shin Megami Tensei, he says they're easier games than Nocturne/Lucifer's Call and have a story that is more strongly presented.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MEATBALL

So I finally got done watching the Persona 4 Endurance Run and it got me in the mood to try my hand at some ShinTen. The only Shin Megami Tensei game I own is Lucifer's Call, a game I picked up in the PS2 heyday when I loved me some JRPGs. Obviously there are some marked differences between Persona 4 and SMT3. However, I remember being really interested in this game in the lead-up to its release (in spite of no prior experience with the series) thanks to its really interesting art direction, strong reviews and word-of-mouth. I was really excited when I managed to pick up one of the very few locally available copies around release.

However, when I played it at the time I wasn't really feeling it. I don't remember particularly enjoying the dungeons or finding much interest in the story and I don't remember getting much of a grasp for the combat system and recruiting/fusing monsters. Then I ran into The Matador. I was completely demolished. What an arsehole. At that point I put the game back on the shelf. It was an experience that was far from encouraging. In spite of all that, I did feel there was something there, and I regretted the fact I found parts of it disinteresting and too difficult.

So now, here I am. The game has finally been pulled back off the shelf and I'm very close to sliding it into my PS3 (and hoping it's backwards compatible - I still have my PS2, though, so failing that I'll still be able to give it another try). It's a tad daunting, to be honest, I'm somewhat expecting that I just won't like it. The thought hit me, however, why not turn to my fellow Giant Bomb members for some advice?

So...any advice for someone who is essentially a Shin Megami Tensei newbie?

Failing that, I'm strongly considering buying Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 (and likely will regadless of how this SMT3 experiment turns out). Speaking to a friend who adores Shin Megami Tensei, he says they're easier games than Nocturne/Lucifer's Call and have a story that is more strongly presented.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

They are, but the story is VERY VERY CRAZY and you kinda have to know that going in. (DDS I mean)

But for the matador, The main trick is to get demons that null force (I think that's all you can have at that point, no absorb) and you can debuff him to +1 (using sukunda 3 times)  and that'll make the fight a lot easier.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Chop

Just because you liked Persona, it doesn't mean you'll like Nocturne or DDS. Both of those games are very very light on the story and heavy... ridiculously heavy on random encounters and confusing dungeons. Best of luck to you, Nocturne and DDS are far too frustrating, design wise, for me to play anymore. 

Also just because It never gets said enough...FUCK FUCK FUCK that stupid fairy park in Nocturne. 
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MEATBALL
    @Chop said:
    " Just because you liked Persona, it doesn't mean you'll like Nocturne or DDS. Both of those games are very very light on the story and heavy... ridiculously heavy on random encounters and confusing dungeons. Best of luck to you, Nocturne and DDS are far too frustrating, design wise, for me to play anymore. 

Also just because It never gets said enough...FUCK FUCK FUCK that stupid fairy park in Nocturne. 
    "
    Yeah, as I said, Nocturne is obviously something of a far cry from Persona 4. Getting done with the P4 Endurance Run just had me thinking about the game again and gave me a general interest in giving the overall series a second chance. And DDS always interested me, but I never picked it up thanks to my experience with Nocturne. I noticed I could pick up both DDS games for a pretty reasonable price so figured it might be worth taking a gamble.
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By IBurningStar

This is the only time where I will ever say this, because I consider this game an exception to one of my own rules. Get a guide. Go find one on Gamefaqs or something. I am normally of the opinion that you should just figure things out for yourself and games are more rewarding that way. Not with Nocturne. That game can be such a total bastard at times that knowing what you are about to get into can save you a lot of time and frustration.

DDS 1 & 2 are more forgiving and don't require you to tinker with and readjust your characters before every boss fight. I would honestly play those games first. The battle systems in the games are very similar, so having a lot of experience with it before trying to make your way through Nocturne will be of some benefit.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Use fog breath on the Matador.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.