Game of the Week

#1 Posted by GhostCommander (6 posts) -

I love the Game of the Week idea.  I think it adds potentially infinite replay to a great game.  However, I have a couple of questions:

1.  Are people somehow cheating the system to get these ridiculously early wins (2500 BC or earlier)?
2.  If not, what are some tips for getting better finishes?  Is Domination the only quick win?

Thanks.

#2 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

I love the idea too
No answers sry

#3 Posted by PixieNinja (172 posts) -

I doubt that they're 'cheating' as such, but you can get some seriously early domination wins by rushing your opponents as early as possible. Knock some military units early on, make your first army, and the AI won't have a chance to build up a significant defense. Some may well save the game, scout out the area so that they know where to find the AI cities, then reload the original save and head straight there, saving time.

With regards to that kind of time frame, I'd say that domination is the only way to go. Technology win after this, but then Economic and Culture wins can take much longer in my experience.

#4 Posted by HoldSteady828 (165 posts) -

I love the idea of games of the week, but so far the scenarios haven't been different enough me.  I'd like more extreme situations that are rare or unlikely in regular single player, or era specific scenarios without tech upgrades.

#5 Posted by SuicideFLip (27 posts) -

You can't save in Game of the Week, but you can play it as many times as you want.  So they could play once to scout out the whole map and then play again to rush the enemy civs.

#6 Posted by Magnum (349 posts) -

Does anyone know if you can find a description of the game of the week or is it just a map and a Civ picked for you? what day does it come out?

#7 Posted by GhostCommander (6 posts) -

thanks for all the replies, everyone.

I just can't see how they can even build enough troops to dominate every AI civ in what amounts to 20 or so turns.  Maybe it's just me.

@ Magnum - The game comes out each Sunday, but I am not aware of any descriptions out there.  It's basically just a pre-made map with everything set so each person starts off exactly the same.

#8 Posted by Magnum (349 posts) -
GhostCommander said:
"thanks for all the replies, everyone.

I just can't see how they can even build enough troops to dominate every AI civ in what amounts to 20 or so turns.  Maybe it's just me.

@ Magnum - The game comes out each Sunday, but I am not aware of any descriptions out there.  It's basically just a pre-made map with everything set so each person starts off exactly the same."
Thanks

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.