Civ5: Gods & Kings expansion

#1 Posted by Wuddel (2098 posts) -

How is GB not excited about this! Full on expansion Gods and Kings announced!

Tons of New Stuff. I know I just mentioned it, but I want to draw attention to just how many new things we've got here: 27 new units, 13 new buildings, 9 new wonders, and 9 new playable civilizations. Among the new civilizations are the Netherlands (William I, Prince of Orange), the Celts (Boudicca), and the Mayans (Pacal the Great).

Religion. That's right; quite possibly the most requested major addition to the game is coming in the Gods & Kings expansion. Using the new "Faith" resource, you'll be able to found your own religion and grow it from a simple Pantheon of the Gods to a world-spanning fully-customized religion.

Reworked Combat System. The expansion has a reworked combat system along with an AI that places more emphasis on balanced army composition. Among the changes to the combat system is the addition of melee naval units, which will force you to really rethink the way you execute your naval assaults.

Enhanced Diplomacy, with Espionage. In addition to being able to establish embassies with your rival civilizations, spies will now be an important part of how you conduct your foreign affairs. Surveilling foreign cities, stealing advanced techs, and garnering influence with city-states are some of the things you'll be able to do with this new powerful mechanic.

New City-States. With religion being added to the game, it only made sense to introduce Religious city-states which will interact with your religion in special ways. In addition, Mercantile city-states will be attractive for those of you who love to grow your civilization's treasury. All city-states will use the greatly expanded quest system, making city-states more dynamic and diplomatic victories more challenging, while decreasing the importance of gold when dealing with city-states.

New Scenarios. Three new scenarios will be coming in Civilization V: Gods & Kings. Experience the fall of Rome, explore the medieval era, and my personal favorite: a unique scenario in a Victorian science-fiction setting.

#2 Posted by Morningstar (2192 posts) -

Im excited about this =)

#3 Posted by Balex1908 (143 posts) -

I guess I have to play Civ 5 again. This sounds great, I love espionage in the older games. I also hope, they make naval combat more important. I have not try out the higher difficulties, but until now I never have to worry about naval assaults from the AI.

#4 Posted by FritzDude (2269 posts) -

Is it an expansion through download or a disc? And will they include the GOTY version of the original with this expansion in one package? I think that would be great.

#5 Posted by PenguinDust (12558 posts) -

Interesting. I'm a Civ V fan and the addition of religion sounds like a great idea. I hope I'll be able to achieve a victory by converting in addition to the regular ways of conquering, diplomacy and building stuff.

#6 Posted by Tennmuerti (8141 posts) -

Can I be a god in a religion of my own making?

If yes, I will buy this eyes closed.

#7 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Religion was the only thing missing from Civ V.

Civ IV can go fuck itself now.

Fuck itself in a shameless and completely dignified manner.

#8 Posted by Tennmuerti (8141 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:

Religion was the only thing missing from Civ V.

Civ IV can go fuck itself now.

Fuck itself in a shameless and completely dignified manner.

I am actually trying to create a mental image of said act.
It's not working out, can't make the pieces fit. :(
#9 Edited by Wuddel (2098 posts) -

@FritzDude: I doubt any expansion comes on actual discs anymore these days. Its a steam game. The probably will make a new SKU for the original game+expansion. Like any other Civ.

@LordXavierBritish: The religion seems quite elaborate actually.

#10 Posted by Sanity (1940 posts) -

Love civ 5 but it runs like crap even on my fairly high end rig. Hope they fix the end game bogging down.

#11 Posted by tds418 (190 posts) -

I'm very excited about this. I sunk 120+ hours into Civ V and I'm still not sick of it :)

#12 Posted by mlarrabee (2993 posts) -

When I saw the "Gods" in the title, I was hoping for some kind of mythological Titan or Norse god additional units.

Ah, well. I'm sure this'll be almost as good.

#13 Posted by DeeGee (2141 posts) -

I am fucking pumped for this.

#14 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

This is great news, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

#15 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -

Yes please. I will pay Sid Meier more money to consume my time.

#16 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

My body.

#17 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

Sign me UPPPP, hopefully they release a package with all the other DLC released too, since I never bought any.

#18 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

I'm glad that this is coming back. It's omission in the original game was always a head scratcher, along with cultural victories no longer being about spreading up and diluted down to simply leveling up a few time. Hopefully some of the new units will be ranged units with an upgrade path from the crossbowman and the ability to upgrade ships into battleships.

#19 Posted by Wuddel (2098 posts) -

Overlooked that there is a PAX-Demo of the expansion. Looking good.

#20 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Sweet, sweet Jesus. Imma go spill some blood in thine name!

#21 Posted by endoworks (290 posts) -

I love Civ 5 and some how missed that this expansion even came out. Anyone who have it say it's worth the purchase?

#22 Edited by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

@endoworks said:

I love Civ 5 and some how missed that this expansion even came out. Anyone who have it say it's worth the purchase?

Absolutely. I would never go back to Vanilla Civ 5 after playing with Gods and Kings. Every aspect of the game is improved with Religion and Espionage. They do not make for a specific new victory condition but enhance every existing victory conditions and the revised combat system based on 100 points instead of 10 is better.

Also 10 new Civs.

#23 Posted by endoworks (290 posts) -

@Pr1mus: Thanks for the help, you have completely sold me on this expansion. I will be purchasing as soon as I get home!

#24 Posted by endoworks (290 posts) -
@Pr1mus only $14 on amazon... Even better!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.