Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

How Do I Auto-Work Workers?!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

This is some serious crap!   

I've been playing for an hour and didn't even notice the time go by, and I've been clicking on workers everyturn like an idiot and got placed into a stupid island in my first game. 

I SPENT A FRICKIN HOUR GETTING TO ANOTHER LAND, I had a god damn 9x9ish grid that barely got me crap. 

On topic, how do I auto-work workers?!  I'm tired of clicking on them, and can't find the option anywhere!

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By B0nd07

It's in the little triple-chevron pointing right in the unit menu (bottom-left).  It brings up a collapsible menu that has the automation and delete options.

nelander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By nelander

short cut is: A

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By KimChi4U

along the left side there are some buttons for the different commands you can give to a unit. Automate workers should be under the last button (this button opens up another list of other commands that aren't used as often). 

And, lucky you. Not living in N. America means I gotta wait another 23 hours before it unlocks.  sigh. Conquering the world will have to wait.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

Thank you...gah, I gotta control myself. 

I can't believe I played that long without noticing.  x.x 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Fallen189

If youre tired after an hour, you wont finish it

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By CowMuffins

I played a game with TheMustacheHero yesterday that lasted 2 hours, and we didn't even finish.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By StaticFalconar

As good as automated workers seem, they don't take into consideration anything you need. Like you might have a city that demands gold (and you have a gold in your base, but for some reason its not on the workers priority to build a road and mine at the gold site until a million things later. I usually automate them if I have them en masse so its like sending zerglings to a base.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KaosAngel
    @StaticFalconar: ...so I need to micro them?  Damnit, I just wanna shoot a nuke before midnight.  x.x 

How do I auto them to do the right stuff?
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @KaosAngel: You need to micro them in the same way you need to micro workers in SC2 (In SC2- by spreading out them out to different mineral patches instead of clumping them in one min patch so your income goes up at a steady rate).  But just like SC2, when you have saturated workers, it don't matter anymore if they are spread out or not, any micro would be diminishing returns.  

My general rule is if there is something specific I want done, like route a trade route, get those horse resources before I go into a war, etc. I micro a worker to make sure it gets done sooner then later (workers can work together btw, so that thing that take 5 turns to do can be done in 1, with 5 workers). But if I don't give an Eff on what needs to be done, just auto them all day long. BTW, based on my game last night, workers are kinda dumb in times of war and when set  on automate just loves to work on cities I just captured, but its still a battlefield so enemy units just come in and rape them. Its not so bad if I have an army big enough to protect them, but just something i noticed. 
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman

Always read the manual before getting into a rage on internet forums, kids.

thewoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By thewoj
    @StaticFalconar said:
    BTW, based on my game last night, workers are kinda dumb in times of war and when set  on automate just loves to work on cities I just captured, but its still a battlefield so enemy units just come in and rape them. Its not so bad if I have an army big enough to protect them, but just something i noticed.  "
    This worked in my favor in the game I was playing this morning. I was attacking the Aztec, and I took a city of theirs but they had another city behind it, so their workers tried to run from settlement to settlement, and I just picked off all the workers as they tried to run by.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " Always read the manual before getting into a rage on internet forums, kids. "
    ...the manual is 200+ pages.  :|
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#14  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @KaosAngel: I KNOW ISN'T IT AWESOME!?
    elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By elko84

why read the manual?  look at the buttons and go oh no automate, wonder what the arrow button does.  OH MORE BUTTONS.  there's automate!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.