Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

save/load/wait times?

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AyKay_47

So I'm a chronic saver and reloader. Some people call it cheating. I call it suckafatone. 

Anyway, I noticed that my save files are growing exponentially in size, causing the time it takes to save to increase by a good 15 seconds. This became kind of irritating, because it affected autosaves as well, which in turn increased the wait time between some turns. 

I did a little testing and discovered some funky shit. Basically, when you decide that you don't like a move you made and load a save file, the next save file you make will grow in size. 

This was my process. Maybe some of you could try it and tell me if I'm crazy. 

1. Start as massive a game as is allowed. 
    2. Save the game before making any moves. 
    3. Without exiting the game, find the save file and check its size. 
    4. Load that save file. 
    5. Save over that file, again without making any moves. 
    6. Check file size again.  

In closing, I would like to say that I had a save file hit 4mb at around 700BC, and I would ask some of you to tell me if your saves are also bigger than you think they should be. 

Oh, and if you're experiencing some ridiculous wait times between turns in the late game - is stuff being animated, or is it all just kind of frozen while you wait? 

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

Yeah I'm experiencing the exact same issue.
    Saving all the time is not a problem, but after quite a few loads the save/load times become longer and longer for both saving and loading. It's pissing me right off.
    What kind of retarded asinine system is this?
    I would understand the game taking slightly longer when you have bigger maps and more shit going on, but this has nothing to do with that, you can literally get minute long load/save times on normal maps still in BC...

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AyKay_47

As far as I can tell, the only way to avoid this is to exit to windows and start the game up again whenever you want to load a save.  

But then you run into 5-10 seconds of unskippable intro. 

Game needs some patches.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By meteora
    @AyKay_47 said:
    " As far as I can tell, the only way to avoid this is to exit to windows and start the game up again whenever you want to load a save.   But then you run into 5-10 seconds of unskippable intro.  Game needs some patches. "
    You can skip the movie intro by going to My Documents/My Games/Civilization V and edit the file named "UserSettings.ini".  Find "SkipIntroVideo" with Ctrl+F and change the value setting to 1. Though the loading is all the same, you just get a black screen. Its better than having to watch the annoying cinematic at any rate.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By DoctorWelch

That's weird, so you could potentially keep saving and quitting without making a move and your file size will keep growing?

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AyKay_47
    @DoctorWelch:  

saving and loading, yes. If you quit the game before you load, the file size wont grow. 

Basically if you're the type that likes to save before a battle, and reload every time something goes wrong, you're pretty boned. 

Also, if you open the save file in notepad, you'll notice a whole bunch of seemingly junk data that just repeats "FINAL_RELEASE201080" or something similar over and over, which probably accounts for the size.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By warxsnake

heh,i guess having 12GB of ram pays off, i can cancel out of the intro in the first few seconds, and load times are generally within 10s

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By sickVisionz

My load times are insane.  The last time I checked it took about 4 minutes for me to load a save.  I can save quickly though (like 3 seconds) but if it auto-saves while i'm in the tabletop game viewing mode then the game crashes to desktop.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.