Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill

Franchise »

Silent Hill is a survival horror game franchise that revolves around the tourist town of Silent Hill; its dark link with the occult and its co-existence with its two other-dimensional forms, "Otherworld" and "Nowhere".

Silent Hill

emonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By emonk

I've played Resident Evil since the series' inception on the PS1, but for some reason never got in to the Silent Hill series. With the Giant Bomb crew naming Shattered Memories as its Wii game of the year I finally decided to go back and take a look at this classic series. From the outside looking in it has always been my understanding that Silent Hill suffered a marked decline after the third game, so I was surprised at the positive reception that Shattered Memories received. Once I found out that Shattered Memories was a remake of the original game I realized I couldn't play it without delving into the roots of the series, so I picked up the original on the PSP for $6 a few nights ago and have played a few bite size chunks of the game. Even with the dated graphics and the clunky controls I find the game to be compelling, largely due to the sense of mystery and psychological terror the game presents. I'm really looking forward to finishing, and I should also be acquiring Silent Hill 2 via Goozex within the next few weeks. 

I'm planning on picking up Shattered Memories once I finish the original game, but I'm not sure what platform I'm going to buy it on. If I read favorable reviews of the PS2 version I'll buy that one as it retails for about $20 cheaper than on the Wii. I'm just not sure that the extra features that utilize the Wiimote justify the cost. I never thought I'd be buying a new PS2 game in 2010, but there it is.

emonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emonk

I've played Resident Evil since the series' inception on the PS1, but for some reason never got in to the Silent Hill series. With the Giant Bomb crew naming Shattered Memories as its Wii game of the year I finally decided to go back and take a look at this classic series. From the outside looking in it has always been my understanding that Silent Hill suffered a marked decline after the third game, so I was surprised at the positive reception that Shattered Memories received. Once I found out that Shattered Memories was a remake of the original game I realized I couldn't play it without delving into the roots of the series, so I picked up the original on the PSP for $6 a few nights ago and have played a few bite size chunks of the game. Even with the dated graphics and the clunky controls I find the game to be compelling, largely due to the sense of mystery and psychological terror the game presents. I'm really looking forward to finishing, and I should also be acquiring Silent Hill 2 via Goozex within the next few weeks. 

I'm planning on picking up Shattered Memories once I finish the original game, but I'm not sure what platform I'm going to buy it on. If I read favorable reviews of the PS2 version I'll buy that one as it retails for about $20 cheaper than on the Wii. I'm just not sure that the extra features that utilize the Wiimote justify the cost. I never thought I'd be buying a new PS2 game in 2010, but there it is.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By stonyman65

Yeah, I've never played the original game but I have always had a passing interest in Silent Hill.  I used to play Silent Hill 2 when it came out, but that game scared the living shit out of me.   Shattered memories looks good. I think I might get it for PSP when it comes out.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

1. You don't really need to play the first game to appreciate Shattered Memories. Apart from a few names, the two games have absolutely nothing at all in common. It's not a remake.

2. If you have a Wii, do NOT get it on PS2.  The Wiimote is a significant part of the game design, world and atmosphere. Does it justify the higher cost? Yes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.