Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Protagonists Who Talk in Sequels

Concept »

Sometimes silent protagonists come to their senses in sequels or prequels and decide to freely speak their mind.

Should Samus Really Be Here?

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By MormonWarrior

I know Samus didn't speak in the Metroid Prime games, but she totally narrated Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission, and the first two were at a time when almost no characters in those kinds of games spoke (Mario, Zelda, etc.) just because it was hard to do. She even had several heated arguments with the computer in Fusion!

She ain't a silent protagonist. That's a fallacy that keeps being perpetuated. She's also not a snotty brat like Other M. She's confident, powerful, and deadly. And she freaking talks in all the games that matter. I give Metroid Prime 1 and 2 a pass since there was technically nobody to talk to, but I was mad about MP3 not having her speak.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

She said not a word in Metroid one. That makes her silent. Then, she talked in sequels. Thus, she does belong.

Avatar image for glorious_leader
    glorious_leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By glorious_leader

Debatable.  I'm curious as to why "The Boss", of Saints Row, is not considered to fall into this category.  Technically he does speak on four occasions in the game, but all of his lines are just witty, humorous statements with no bearing on character development or the plot.  They're little more than rewards for the player completing a portion of the campaign.  In the second game, he won't shut the hell up, and this deviation outlines that the previous game featured a silent protagonist.  I think the discussion is always going to have some inconsistency over things like Samus' status, and the one I outlined.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By zagzagovich

I don't know if everybody on the NES were silent. Like dude from Power Blade says "Let's torch this place and get out" at the end of every level. I think there were a lot of dudes that talked in intros or cut scenes if the game had them. I get that you don't want for people to think of her as the character from other M but I don't think that many people actually played the game for that to be so. Don't worry.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

This category as a whole seems kind of convoluted to be honest. Not talking is largely a limitation of tech, or it was for about 20 years. Its only been an artistic choice for about 10 years. Its like going "3d games that used to be 2d". That would be any old game that got a newer version later.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By takua108

I agree, I don't think she belongs, because the wording of the concept makes it sound like it's for characters who originally didn't talk, and then did in later games. It's not "Characters Who Talk In Some Games But Are Silent Protagonists In Others." 

EDIT: Did not know that she was apparently entirely silent (no narration) in the original Metroid, in which, I guess she does fit.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

Samus didn't have any dialogue in Metroid or Metroid II, thus she was a silent protagonist.  She didn't have any lines until Super Metroid.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By benjaebe

Brings up an interesting question. A lot of characters from older games weren't voiced simply because of technical limitations, not design choices like Jak from Jak & Daxter or Isaac from Dead Space.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

Cus I mean, Link grunts and such. And Mario uses words but in the same kind of context, never actual speech bubbles. Where is the line, you know? Seems to interpretative imo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.