Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleep Is Death

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Apr 16, 2010

A story-telling PC game for two players by game designer Jason Rohrer, creator of Passage.

Problem Loading the Game?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0017840c01a
    deactivated-5f0017840c01a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I bought the game Sleep is Death. Got two keys and gave it to another and booted up the game. I shared my IP address and when they log in they put it in it says loading game. As for me. However after waiting 10-12 minutes, still nothing. Nothing is loading, I went to the UPNP router hosting, and no idea what that is got a message saying I couldn't connect to it anyways. I can upon waiting for the user, go into creator and create a scene and speech bubbles and all just cannot get the second person to connect.

The other person in question also tried to host as I log into his IP address and same thing. What is the problem? Any suggestion as to a solution to the problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I haven't tried this game since it came out, but here are some basic networking issues. This may sound stupid, but are the computers actually connected to the same local network? If not, you need to make sure you are sharing public IP addresses, not the one assigned to your router.

I want to try this game again now!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wewantsthering: Would Hamachi work? If so, we've tried and still nothing.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Toxeia

You need to check to see what ports the game uses to connect and forward it to your computer's IP address. Sounds like that's the problem. Hamachi would work if you didn't know how to do that, but forwarding ports is always better on performance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Toxeia: Tried Hamachi still nothing though.. and no, not sure how to do that.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Toxeia

@rockyhorrorgerri: So I looked up some information. Port 7778 (both TCP and UDP) need to be forwarded. You can do this by going into your router's web administration page. Typically you can get there by going to http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1. It depends on the brand.

If neither works you can go to http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm to find instructions on your specific router or by opening a command prompt (Hold down the Windows key, press R. Type "CMD" and hit enter) and using the command "ipconfig". Find your network adapter, usually called Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection if it's a wired connection. I believe if you use a wireless connection it'll be called Wireless adapter Local Area Connection, but I can't be certain. The gateway for that connection will be the IP address you need to browse to for the administration page.

To log in, the name is usually admin or Administrator, and the password the same or blank. You'll find a link near the top of the page for "Applications", "Applications & Gaming", or "Port Forwarding" On this page you'll need to tell it to forward the port 7778 (or ports 7778 to 7778 if it's asking for a range) to your computer's IP address. This is shown by that same "ipconfig" command detailed above.

http://sidtube.com/conncheck/ (seems to be down as I'm writing this) will check to see if your network is set up properly.

This all assume you're at home though. If you're behind a school network you'd have to talk to network administrators to see if they could do anything, but I'd imagine they wouldn't.

And a quick tip about port forwarding. If your computer is set to automatically acquire your connection settings you might want to give your computer a static (assigned by you) IP address. If left on automatic you might receive a different local IP address and have to change the settings for the port fowarding.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.