Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

Combat help tips and tricks

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Garris

I'm finding combat in this game fairly difficult, I'm not very far and am already banging my head against the wall particularly in this one mission at the bam bam club? Any Kung fu masters out there?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

Counter more. Throw guys if you get swarmed. Use environmental kills to instantly take out enemies.

There's also a surprising variety of places you can get a motorcycle into, if that's your thing.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By C0V3RT

@Garris: My tip is learn the leg break move. Then, once in combat, grapple, leg break (which stuns the enemy), then double tap circle (I'm guessing it's circle, I played it on the 360 and it was B) to finish the enemy off. This should also is going to get you a ton of points towards your mission score.

Also...environmental finishers are a super quick way to dispose of enemies. You don't get a ton of points, but they're quick and can help with crowd control.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Gaff
    @Garris Could you refresh my memory for a bit? It's a while.

Basic melee: learn to differentiate between the different enemy types. Basic fodder can be ignored if your countering is up to snuff. "Boxers" need to be grabbed. The big guys won't block but can't be grabbed, nor hit out of their attacks.

The counter system is very forgiving unlike other games, so don't worry about the exact timing.

If all else fails, the punch-punch-knee combo is a good way to cheese your way through most difficult situations.
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity

@Garris: As most people mentioned, counter. In a fair amount of "boss" encounters you will basically just stand around and counter as that will be your only viable option. When there are a lot of doods just attack the skinny types but whenever you see someone turn red start mashing Y/Triangle and you will counter more often than not even when in the middle of some attack. Apart from standing around waiting to counter something there isn't that much to it. I didn't really use a lot of the dojo unlocks and I got them all. The last one, which is a more powerful counter is neat but even that isn't necessary. A good move I did use semi frequently was the ground tackle that disarms your enemy but not sure how far along in the tree that is.

Basically in the beginning of a fight just stand around and wait for a counter, then pick them up and if there is an environmental kill nearby use that, if not then do whatever, rinse and repeat until you thin the crowd enough where you feel comfortable just straight out combo fighting.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

You probably need to counter more!

All right, have you ever played the Arkham games? Do that. Make a habit of watching for the red outline of guys about to hit you. Don't be afraid to stand back from the crowd and wait for counters instead of rushing in head-first. Make good use of environmental kills.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By golguin

Counter and find all the jade statues u can right now after u get them to appear on mini map. Some locations tied to story but I can get most right now.

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Anomareh

I've found the system is easy to cheese, you can finish every fight without ever taking damage by doing nothing besides countering, but I've found it's very hard to feel like a badass like the recent Batman games do. It's actually been a bit disappointing after all the good things I heard about the game. It's basically impossible to do anything interesting in large crowds because as soon as you start a combo someone will try to attack you and you'll have to counter out of it. The majority of the combat turns into <punch> <punch> <counter> and on hard fights you just end up standing around doing nothing but countering.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

Focus entirely on countering until you have that mastered.

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Garris

@StarvingGamer said:

Focus entirely on countering until you have that mastered.

I feel like I'm solid on all counter except with Melee enemies, i don't know what it is, if the window where you can hit the Y is smaller or what but I am constantly getting jacked by melee dudes when it seems like I should have got the counter in.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By djou

@garris I suggest doing more of the fight club as practice and getting as many of the statues as possible. You will eventually learn a weapon disarm move that is as effective as the leg and arm break. These are low risk practice areas where you can figure out the mechanics before the missions.

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Garris

Ok I think I have it figured out I started holding down the y button when I see them go red instead of just tapping it and that seems to be working

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TooSweet

@Ravenlight said:

Counter more. Throw guys if you get swarmed. Use environmental kills to instantly take out enemies.

Bascially, what he said. I just finished the game on Saturday. Good stuff. What I did was the environmental kills first and then used whatever weapons if there were any. But if anything just rely on counters to help you.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By UlquioKani

Countering is the only way to open up the defences of the brawlers so you need to do a lot of that. Punch the crap out of the big guys and take them out early on as they don't block attacks but can be really annoying when they get behind you. Use the charged knee stun ( X, X, Hold X) which will stun then and follow up with a regular hit which will do a good amount of damage. I found it to be the most efficient way to fight and kept enemies down so you didn't get overwhelmed. If you came from Arkham Asylum, you just need to remember that you are far more vulnerable and as you progress through the game, the combat becomes pretty trivial.

SonnyCheebah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SonnyCheebah

You can also grab the brawlers, actually. It's nice for doing leg/arm breaks and then getting a stun follow-up in. After they go down, you can kick the shit out of them and then just pound on those fat guys with basic melee combos.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By myke_tuna

Countering and using the stun knee combo that is learned fairly early on kept me winning basically all the fights in the game.

I believe I even beat all the fight clubs before I upgraded an entire combat branch in the tree. Countering really helps you out.

Another thing is figuring out the enemy types. The brawlers are counter territory since their attacks are telegraphed then following up with a combo. The grapplers I used to combo at until they wanted to grab me and then I'd try to get out, but if grabbed, I'd just wait for the button prompt instead of panicking. In the beginning, I'd start mashing out of reflex and mess up the prompt and take some big damage (for that time in the game). The regular dudes, as you get better, can be straight comboed up or you can just sit there and counter. They aren't that bad until they're alongside the other two types in larger numbers. Then, I'd just kind of jab at them to interrupt their AI (keep them in that "hit" animation) while I fought the "bigger" guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.