Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sony Interactive Entertainment

Company »

Sony Interactive Entertainment is a subsidiary of the Sony Corporation responsible for Research & Development, production, and sales of hardware and software for the PlayStation line of handheld and video game consoles.

Xperia Play Launches May 26, Comes Packed With Free Games

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

We've been hearing whispers about a PlayStation-branded phone forever, but on May 26, Sony Ericsson will finally launch the Xperia Play. And no, I'm not really sure why it's called that, either.

Pre-orders for the Xperia Play start Thursday, priced at $199.99 with the obligatory two-year contract.

There are a number of games pre-loaded onto the hardware, too: Madden NFL 11, Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior, Asphalt 6: Adrenaline, The Sims 3, Star Battalion, Crash Bandicoot, Tetris. Sony's promised at least 50 games will be available at launch, likely a mixture of PlayStation classics and newer titles.

There are other phones that will support PlayStation games; Sony's calling those "PlayStation Certified" machines. The central difference between Xperia Play and anything that's been certified, however, is touch controls vs. buttons. Xperia Play isn't unlike a PSP, whereas the controls for many certified devices are completely touch-based, intangible buttons. It's not the most appealing concept.

Sony's upcoming successor to PSP, tentatively titled NGP (next-generation portable), will not include native cellular support, but PSP featured a Skype application and some NGP models will sport 3G.

No Caption Provided
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

We've been hearing whispers about a PlayStation-branded phone forever, but on May 26, Sony Ericsson will finally launch the Xperia Play. And no, I'm not really sure why it's called that, either.

Pre-orders for the Xperia Play start Thursday, priced at $199.99 with the obligatory two-year contract.

There are a number of games pre-loaded onto the hardware, too: Madden NFL 11, Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior, Asphalt 6: Adrenaline, The Sims 3, Star Battalion, Crash Bandicoot, Tetris. Sony's promised at least 50 games will be available at launch, likely a mixture of PlayStation classics and newer titles.

There are other phones that will support PlayStation games; Sony's calling those "PlayStation Certified" machines. The central difference between Xperia Play and anything that's been certified, however, is touch controls vs. buttons. Xperia Play isn't unlike a PSP, whereas the controls for many certified devices are completely touch-based, intangible buttons. It's not the most appealing concept.

Sony's upcoming successor to PSP, tentatively titled NGP (next-generation portable), will not include native cellular support, but PSP featured a Skype application and some NGP models will sport 3G.

No Caption Provided
    Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Tylea002

If only I cared about this. ):

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By RainVillain

So are the chances of Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX coming to this just about impossible?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d
    @bigmuffpi: They are on PSN and it is shown that regular Android can emulate PS1 games; so they might well.
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By aurahack

It's already out here in Canada. Here's a spoiler: it's garbage.

Who'd of guessed, right? Seems unlikely that a Sony Ericsson phone would be trash. Especially an Xperia phone.
    mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mattjam3000

I do not care for this, yet somehow the picture with a gameloft logo on it makes me care even less

qxz86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By qxz86

I don't know why you'd bother mentioning Skype.
    It was removed from the PSP's functions a while ago, and Microsoft now owns Skype, part and parcel.

The Xperia Play is just not compelling at all. At what market is it being pitched?

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By RobertOrri

I don't see a market for this. The controls are awesome for emulators, but most other application developers probably won't support this thing.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Well I'm mostly curious about it as a multimedia phone rather than a portable gaming device. I am certainly interested in replacing my damn iphone with something else and a phone/psp hybrid could be the thing.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By frankxiv
    @aurahack said:

Who'd of guessed, right? Seems unlikely that a Sony Ericsson phone would be trash. Especially an Xperia phone.
    that's disappointing :(

been looking into android phones to replace my old blackberry and this would have been neat, if it was any good.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By Jayross

We we we so excited...

sensory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sensory

Wasn't this already out?

Oh wait, that seems to be everywhere except the US. Weird.

Protip: Don't waste your money.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mosespippy

It's been in Canada since March.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Sil3n7

Ol' crashy bandicooters? what the hell?

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Teoball

I've had this for a month now and I'm happy with it. It's just a regular android phone with PS controls so if you're expecting more  you'll be disappointed.

At the moment there are 5 PS1 games and 55 android games that are optimized for the controls.

Snesoid and Gensoid works great too, since you can program the buttons yourself.

If you hate playing  games on the touchscreen and don't wanna bring a DS or PSP with you it's great.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By recroulette
    @Tylea002 said:
    If only I cared about this. ):
    That's exactly what I thought. I'm happy with my phone for now, could be a little louder, but oh well. It's good enough.
    jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jayjonesjunior

the real value here is in the emulators.

CrippleCaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CrippleCaptain

I would love me some megaman legends 1 and 2 on this thing. it would be magical =)

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By toowalrus

I'll be buying one. I'll be spending a lot of time at my college between classes this semester, and the emulation possibilities of this phone are awesome. There are a lot of historic NES, GB, GBA, SNES, Genesis, PS1 etc. games that I've never played- but want to.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By aurahack
    @onimonkii: Get an Atrix, or something of equivalent power. There are plenty of PSX emulators for Android that work fine. The only benefit of the Xperia Play are the controls, but you'll suffer every time you use the actual smartphone part.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus
    @aurahack said:

Just out of curiosity before I buy one, what makes this phone 'garbage' compared to other Android phones? I ask because I've been messing around with my buddies old original Droid, and even though it's old and slow, it still seems totally rad.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By crusader8463

Weird. It's not out yet? I have been seeing dumb Rogers commercials for it on TV for ages.

krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By krystians

There is a demo at futureshop, and I think they sell it already. Played it and thought it was very uncomfortable.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tally_Pants
    @TooWalrus said:
    @aurahack said:

Just out of curiosity before I buy one, what makes this phone 'garbage' compared to other Android phones? I ask because I've been messing around with my buddies old original Droid, and even though it's old and slow, it still seems totally rad.
    If you really want a good Xperia phone... get the ARC. Its an upgraded version of there X10 (which i have and love!) I toyed around with the idea of getting the Xperia Play, but i have so many portable gaming platforms already that I barely use...why get this? The added controller is an awesome functionality but also adds a lot of thickness to the phone when its in your pocket!
    just my thoughts...
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By frankxiv
    @aurahack said:
    @onimonkii: Get an Atrix, or something of equivalent power. There are plenty of PSX emulators for Android that work fine. The only benefit of the Xperia Play are the controls, but you'll suffer every time you use the actual smartphone part.
    yeah, i'm on verizon. i'd have to look up what they've got that's as good. i really like the way htc's ui looks but i've heard they're behind on firmware or something. guess i should head over to tested.
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26  Edited By xpgamer7

seems eh.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By toowalrus
    @Tally_Pants said:
    @TooWalrus said:
    @aurahack said:

If you really want a good Xperia phone... get the ARC. Its an upgraded version of there X10 (which i have and love!) I toyed around with the idea of getting the Xperia Play, but i have so many portable gaming platforms already that I barely use...why get this? The added controller is an awesome functionality but also adds a lot of thickness to the phone when its in your pocket!just my thoughts...
    I didn't really want to know what phones were better, I'm really more interested in the why other phones are better. Besides the extra thickness (which doesn't really bother me), what makes the ARC so much better? I just want to know why this other dude called it garbage before I buy one.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Winternet

By the way, I've seen ton of ads on TV for this here on Europe. They're pushing it hard.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#29  Edited By MeatSim

Yea I don't wanna play games on phones.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CABBAGES

Its been out in the UK for a while and i just got one the other day as an upgrade.

I dont know how anyone could call it garbage.
    Games are great on it and emulators are great too !
    cartvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By cartvader

What no Little Big Planet and inFamous?

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By aurahack
    @TooWalrus: The Xperia phones are "garbage" because Sony has a seriously hard time getting their tech to function right with Android. They're super-slow and their default UI is poorly designed. Fortunately, Android lets you download new launchers and keyboards but for them to run smoothly would require good specs, which most Xperia phones don't have. 

The ARC improves on this but save yourself the trouble-- just get an HTC phone or the Atrix. Or even better, save up for the Galaxy S II. They're well designed and have the tech to balance out the open-source, unoptimized-ness of most applications available on Android. 
    warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By warchief

i just dont understand this device. the psp was kind of a failure in the US, and the NGP is coming out here next year. this device just makes my head hurt. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Warchief said:

i just dont understand this device. the psp was kind of a failure in the US, and the NGP is coming out here next year. this device just makes my head hurt. 

The PSP is one of the best selling consoles of all time. Shut the fuck up about that 'failure' shit, it simply isn't true.

All the people dismissing this obviously aren't familar with the beauty of emulation.

CPS2. Full speed. On a mobile.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By agentboolen
    @MysteriousBob said:

@Warchief said:

The PSP is one of the best selling consoles of all time. Shut the fuck up about that 'failure' shit, it simply isn't true.

All the people dismissing this obviously aren't familar with the beauty of emulation.

CPS2. Full speed. On a mobile.
    I 2nd this, the PSP isn't a failure just because it didn't sell as much as the DS.  And yes the psp was very capable of doing a lot of cool things with modified firmware.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Enigma777
    @qxz86 said:
    I don't know why you'd bother mentioning Skype.It was removed from the PSP's functions a while ago, and Microsoft now owns Skype, part and parcel.The Xperia Play is just not compelling at all. At what market is it being pitched?
    WTF are you talking about? I'm using Skype right now on my PSPgo.
    Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ben99

this phone has a potential . Wait and see ....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.