Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Source Mod

Concept »

Source Mods are user creations or modifications based on Source game content previously released.

Powerslave/Exhumed fans, you just might like this one!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

If you simply want to get to the point, ignore this paragraph and the first video. First of all I have to say Exhumed/Powerslave is one of my all-time favorite FPS titles. For those who don't know of it, think of it as a Metroid Prime with an Egyptian theme running on a Doom-like engine (yet far better). You navigate through complex levels, find weapons, artifacts that give you new powers and access to areas you couldn't reach before, and so on and so forth. Watch some of this guy's videos to get a feel for it, he's borderline speedrunning it.

Anyway, the first part of the episodic Source modification Curse has some of the same distinct style. Fully Egyptian theme (but lacks the awesome music), labyrinthine levels, and a ton of switches to push and mummies to destroy. Fun stuff.

The combat is the only thing not up to par. They tried to make it unique but it's not quite right. The boss encounters are excellent though, they don't actually rely on the combat mechanics all that much. Anyway, I dirgess. This is a must play if you can run Source engine modifications!

Your eyes WILL  pop!

It actually looks far better than these videos would have you believe as they have weird contrast and brightness. Some of them also show old content which has been vastly improved or completely replaced, like the headcrab zombies in the end of the first video. The final release has at least 99% brand-new content, there's no texture or model or sound reused (aside from fallling damage) that I can tell. PLAY THIS THING NOW!

Update: Having played this more, it's even more awesome than I first thought. Half the content is optional and requires certain conditions be met, secrets found, and is completely bypassed if you just rush through the levels in an attempt to merely finish them. Finding everything is, simply put, satisfactory. This is a must play for anyone capable of running Source engine modifications, I can't wait for the next episodes. I love how the style is decidedly old-school yet matches the new-gen visuals thanks to the Egyptian theme that lends itself to corridors and chambers designs.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Sweet, Episode II is coming.

...Sometime.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.