Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Splinter Cell

Franchise »

Tom Clancy's tactical espionage series starring Sam Fisher.

No.0012, No.0013 & No.0014 - All the (listed) Splinter Cells

hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By hsvlad
    1001 Videogames I must play before I die! 

No.0012 Splinter Cell 

No Caption Provided
    Splinter Cell came out almost exactly one year after Metal Gear Solid 2 was released and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. You see, I didn't like MGS 2 when it came out, or more precisely I didn't like its tone. The mixture of trying to be as militarily accurate as possible yet still having giant robots and vampires who can run on water was just too jarring for me to be able to deal with. I've learnt to love the Metal Gear games since then but it took me a while to really "Get" them. I'll save that discussion for when I get around to doing the MGS games. Splinter Cell was my MGS2 antidote. The plot was grounded in reality and it was about sneaking around with high-tech gear so I was sold from day one. I first got to experience the game on a friends Xbox and then about a year or so later when it came out for the PC I got to play through it at my own pace. This type of stealth game doesn't work all that well with backseat drivers. 

No Caption Provided

Splinter Cell had a lot going for it when it came out. Visually it had very impressive lighting and the animations were great considering there was no motion capture used for it. Little touches like the way Sam Fisher puts one hand on his pistol holster when he moves quickly in a crouched position to stop it making noise really brought him to life. The first time I saw the thermal view I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. I had never seen anything like it in a game and even though it wasn't nearly as useful as your standard night vision goggles (NVGs) I still tried to use it as often as possible. Coming back to it however the thing that really makes Splinter Cell stand out is its plot. The short version is that a coup occurs in Georgia and the new President has developed a taste for information warfare, using hackers and viruses to attack his enemies or further his goals. It treated that subject matter with a lot of respect and was far ahead of its time in that regard. I'm sure at some point games are going to start returning to this idea as the tactics the villain uses as it becomes more and more common place in the real world. 

No Caption Provided

In the end sadly the first Splinter Cell, and the second game Pandora Tomorrow, suffer a bit in terms of their gameplay. It's not game over as soon as you've been spotted, but quite often a guard will kill on the spot so it might as well have been. I still like Splinter Cell a lot but I can't get myself to play much of it these days because the next game I'm going to talk about perfected Splinter Cells gameplay formula and is one of my favorite games ever.  

No.0013 Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory 

No Caption Provided

Chaos Theory is to Splinter Cell what Bloodmoney was to the Hitman games. The gameplay is still recognisably Splinter Cell but all of the systems the player can use have been polished and shifted around to create the absolute perfect version of that game. In the earlier games you had to equip your lock picks in order to unlock a door, now its just part of the standard drop down menu when you're at a door. A guard is approaching you, if you want to knock him unconscious you press the left mouse button or the right button to kill him. There are very few games that manage to get all of their systems working so harmoniously that the player can't tell where one ends and the other beings. Between Sam's climbing abilities, his weapons, his NVG's there are very few times where the player will think of a strategy that simply wont work, not because it wouldn't be possible, but because the designers didn't think of it.     

No Caption Provided

Chaos Theory is also, in my opinion, the last of the Splinter Cell games to have a really good story line. It still revolves around electronic and information warfare, starting this time with the kidnapping of a programmer who had been studying the code developed by one of the master hackers from the first game. One of your handlers equates the situation to if Che Guevara had abducted Professor Oppenheimer in 1956. It's an accurate analogy of how important information warfare will become over the next few years. Chaos Theory also has one of the best non-orchestral soundtracks of any game I can think of. It was written and performed by Amon Tobin and if you're into electronic music at all you really should try listening to it, it's amazing!  

No Caption Provided

No.0014 Splinter Cell : Double Agent 

No Caption Provided
     Double Agent isn't an all together terrible game but it really felt like a step down compared to Chaos Theory (CT). This was mostly in regard to the story but there were a number of other factors that made the whole thing feel cheap. A large number of animations were reused from CT and the game was running on a very early version of the Unreal 3 engine so the console versions, while pretty, had terrible frame rates which got worse if you looked down your weapons sight. The story is also poor. Sam's daughter, Sarah, is killed while he is on a mission in Iceland and causes him to go off the rails. Some time later Fisher's handler manages to get him back working for the NSA, going deep under cover to infiltrate an american terrorist group called John Browns Army(JBA). The main problem I have with the plot is that it is never explained what the hell JBA actually want. They seem like maybe they could be a white supremacy group because all the members are white and have skin heads, but then they are perfectly happy working with another middle eastern group. All they seem to want to do is blow shit up, but there is no motivation given. Sadly as is always the case when the villain is evil simply because he's evil, it makes it very difficult to care about the plot.  

No Caption Provided
     Aside from a few new takedowns and moves there isn't much thats been added to the game since CT, in fact a lot of things have been over simplified. CT had a light meter that arguable was of limited use but below it was your sound meter. It showed the amount of sound you were producing and the amount of background noise, if you were making less noise then that, it was all masked. That is gone, replaced with a three stage indicator. Green means no one can tell your there, yellow means they could but they haven't and red means they have. The sound level stuff is gone which is a real shame. There are also missions that take place inside the JBA compound where you have to balance completing whatever task it is you've been given by your commander quickly enough so you have time to go and complete NSA objectives around the camp like bugging their antenna. Sadly these turn into instant failure stealth sections in a game that really shouldn't have that kind of thing. If you turn the stealth into a chore for these sections, there is a good chance that feeling will transfer to the actual missions.  

No Caption Provided
     Sadly it doesn't look as though the story for any possible new Splinter Cell games will improve. While I really quite liked the newest Splinter Cell game, Conviction, for its attempts to speed up stealth gameplay, the story was equally dumb. Why are they the NSA trying to kill the President of the USA? Did they really need a bunch of EMP's to do that? Why is Sam's daughter important to this situation in any way, shape or form? Thinking about it, this has kind of happened to all Tom Clancy games over the years, they all stopped trying to be Jack Ryan and started trying to be Jack Bauer. Which is a shame because no one is making anything like old Tom Clancy games any more. 

Well that was a nice little trip through a franchise, I think I'll try and do this kind of thing for any other game series that gets multiple mentions.
    hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By hsvlad
    1001 Videogames I must play before I die! 

No.0012 Splinter Cell 

No Caption Provided
    Splinter Cell came out almost exactly one year after Metal Gear Solid 2 was released and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. You see, I didn't like MGS 2 when it came out, or more precisely I didn't like its tone. The mixture of trying to be as militarily accurate as possible yet still having giant robots and vampires who can run on water was just too jarring for me to be able to deal with. I've learnt to love the Metal Gear games since then but it took me a while to really "Get" them. I'll save that discussion for when I get around to doing the MGS games. Splinter Cell was my MGS2 antidote. The plot was grounded in reality and it was about sneaking around with high-tech gear so I was sold from day one. I first got to experience the game on a friends Xbox and then about a year or so later when it came out for the PC I got to play through it at my own pace. This type of stealth game doesn't work all that well with backseat drivers. 

No Caption Provided

Splinter Cell had a lot going for it when it came out. Visually it had very impressive lighting and the animations were great considering there was no motion capture used for it. Little touches like the way Sam Fisher puts one hand on his pistol holster when he moves quickly in a crouched position to stop it making noise really brought him to life. The first time I saw the thermal view I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. I had never seen anything like it in a game and even though it wasn't nearly as useful as your standard night vision goggles (NVGs) I still tried to use it as often as possible. Coming back to it however the thing that really makes Splinter Cell stand out is its plot. The short version is that a coup occurs in Georgia and the new President has developed a taste for information warfare, using hackers and viruses to attack his enemies or further his goals. It treated that subject matter with a lot of respect and was far ahead of its time in that regard. I'm sure at some point games are going to start returning to this idea as the tactics the villain uses as it becomes more and more common place in the real world. 

No Caption Provided

In the end sadly the first Splinter Cell, and the second game Pandora Tomorrow, suffer a bit in terms of their gameplay. It's not game over as soon as you've been spotted, but quite often a guard will kill on the spot so it might as well have been. I still like Splinter Cell a lot but I can't get myself to play much of it these days because the next game I'm going to talk about perfected Splinter Cells gameplay formula and is one of my favorite games ever.  

No.0013 Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory 

No Caption Provided

Chaos Theory is to Splinter Cell what Bloodmoney was to the Hitman games. The gameplay is still recognisably Splinter Cell but all of the systems the player can use have been polished and shifted around to create the absolute perfect version of that game. In the earlier games you had to equip your lock picks in order to unlock a door, now its just part of the standard drop down menu when you're at a door. A guard is approaching you, if you want to knock him unconscious you press the left mouse button or the right button to kill him. There are very few games that manage to get all of their systems working so harmoniously that the player can't tell where one ends and the other beings. Between Sam's climbing abilities, his weapons, his NVG's there are very few times where the player will think of a strategy that simply wont work, not because it wouldn't be possible, but because the designers didn't think of it.     

No Caption Provided

Chaos Theory is also, in my opinion, the last of the Splinter Cell games to have a really good story line. It still revolves around electronic and information warfare, starting this time with the kidnapping of a programmer who had been studying the code developed by one of the master hackers from the first game. One of your handlers equates the situation to if Che Guevara had abducted Professor Oppenheimer in 1956. It's an accurate analogy of how important information warfare will become over the next few years. Chaos Theory also has one of the best non-orchestral soundtracks of any game I can think of. It was written and performed by Amon Tobin and if you're into electronic music at all you really should try listening to it, it's amazing!  

No Caption Provided

No.0014 Splinter Cell : Double Agent 

No Caption Provided
     Double Agent isn't an all together terrible game but it really felt like a step down compared to Chaos Theory (CT). This was mostly in regard to the story but there were a number of other factors that made the whole thing feel cheap. A large number of animations were reused from CT and the game was running on a very early version of the Unreal 3 engine so the console versions, while pretty, had terrible frame rates which got worse if you looked down your weapons sight. The story is also poor. Sam's daughter, Sarah, is killed while he is on a mission in Iceland and causes him to go off the rails. Some time later Fisher's handler manages to get him back working for the NSA, going deep under cover to infiltrate an american terrorist group called John Browns Army(JBA). The main problem I have with the plot is that it is never explained what the hell JBA actually want. They seem like maybe they could be a white supremacy group because all the members are white and have skin heads, but then they are perfectly happy working with another middle eastern group. All they seem to want to do is blow shit up, but there is no motivation given. Sadly as is always the case when the villain is evil simply because he's evil, it makes it very difficult to care about the plot.  

No Caption Provided
     Aside from a few new takedowns and moves there isn't much thats been added to the game since CT, in fact a lot of things have been over simplified. CT had a light meter that arguable was of limited use but below it was your sound meter. It showed the amount of sound you were producing and the amount of background noise, if you were making less noise then that, it was all masked. That is gone, replaced with a three stage indicator. Green means no one can tell your there, yellow means they could but they haven't and red means they have. The sound level stuff is gone which is a real shame. There are also missions that take place inside the JBA compound where you have to balance completing whatever task it is you've been given by your commander quickly enough so you have time to go and complete NSA objectives around the camp like bugging their antenna. Sadly these turn into instant failure stealth sections in a game that really shouldn't have that kind of thing. If you turn the stealth into a chore for these sections, there is a good chance that feeling will transfer to the actual missions.  

No Caption Provided
     Sadly it doesn't look as though the story for any possible new Splinter Cell games will improve. While I really quite liked the newest Splinter Cell game, Conviction, for its attempts to speed up stealth gameplay, the story was equally dumb. Why are they the NSA trying to kill the President of the USA? Did they really need a bunch of EMP's to do that? Why is Sam's daughter important to this situation in any way, shape or form? Thinking about it, this has kind of happened to all Tom Clancy games over the years, they all stopped trying to be Jack Ryan and started trying to be Jack Bauer. Which is a shame because no one is making anything like old Tom Clancy games any more. 

Well that was a nice little trip through a franchise, I think I'll try and do this kind of thing for any other game series that gets multiple mentions.
    Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I really enjoyed what I played of the first Splinter Cell, and the only other one I put any significant time into was Double Agent, which was okay.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

What about Pandora Tomorrow and Conviction? I didn't really like Double Agent so I would rather have seen one of those in its place.

Man, I need to go replay the Splinter Cell games, I love that series.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Baillie

The only two you need to play are Chaos Theory and Conviction, two of the best.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I wish the Chaos Theory soundtrack was the soundtrack to my life, just image walking down the street with the bank heist music playing.

hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hsvlad
    @Village_Guy: Pandora Tomorrow and Conviction aren't listed in the book I'm working off but I have played both. I gladly would have seen Conviction in here over Double Agent but I've got to stick to the rules, if it isn't in the book it doesn't go on this blog. I did actually play through Pandora Tomorrow because I thought it was in the book but when I checked it wasn't there.
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By danielkempster

Great write-up on the Splinter Cell franchise. I enjoyed the first game but found the trial-and-error aspect to be pretty frustrating, so that's something I was really glad the developers tried to work around in Pandora Tomorrow. That, plus the incredible set pieces (the level on the train in particular) cemented Pandora Tomorrow as one of my favourite stealth games ever. This blog has also served to remind me that I still haven't gotten round to playing Chaos Theory yet, which must be some kind of cardinal gaming sin considering how much I enjoyed Pandora Tomorrow.

Great work on these, and best of luck with the rest of your endeavour. Already looking forward to the next blog.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Good read, really enjoy your thoughts and memories of the older games of these franchises. Love Chaos Theory, should finish my ancient playthrough some time this century.. 

P.S. the massive pictures really ruin the experience of reading your blogs. Enormous box covers and large screenshots, my mouse wheel is screaming. You should resize them or implement them in a scroll-friendly fashion!

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By jmfinamore

I loved the first Splinter Cell (and Pandora Tomorrow) when they came out. I didn't get around to playing CT until this year, though. I found that having a quick save in CT on the PC (I payed the others on console) meant that I would reload anytime something bad happened, which really ruined the experience (totally my fault, obviously). I just wish they had a better way of handling the "something unexpected happened, now what?" problem. I love the feeling of playing the games, but it stinks when you fail (more so than other games).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.