Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SSX

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

The sixth entry in the Snowboard Super X series that allows players to ride down real world mountains in dangerous weather conditions.

SSX on sale for $40

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BonOrbitz

Best Buy and Amazon (possibly other outlets as well) has SSX on sale for $40 this week. Is anyone picking going to pick this up for that price?

I broke down and bought it because I love the series and if Mass Effect 3 didn't come out a week after I would have bought SSX at launch. I'm shocked that in less than a month it's on sale for twenty bucks less. Is it not selling well?

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#2  Edited By tearhead

Very tempting indeed... I still kind of want it cheaper tho...

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BrockNRolla

I also think that looks tempting. But based on the reviews, I don't know if I can even condone it at the price.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BonOrbitz

@BrockNRolla said:

I also think that looks tempting. But based on the reviews, I don't know if I can even condone it at the price.

Ouch! I didn't think the reviews were that bad. What would be a realistic price point for you?

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BrockNRolla

@bonorbitz said:

@BrockNRolla said:

Ouch! I didn't think the reviews were that bad. What would be a realistic price point for you?

They weren't that bad, but I'm someone who has no real world interest in the sport and would simply be looking for a ridiculous game to enjoy during random bits of freetime. There seems to be enough that's not awesome about the game though that even superfans might not be totally into it, which makes me more wary. Maybe another $10 less and I'd be in.

I've got limited freetime though and about 3 games in my backlog so I'm probably a tougher sell than most.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Gamestop is selling it at that price too. 

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BonOrbitz

@BrockNRolla said:

@bonorbitz said:

@BrockNRolla said:

They weren't that bad, but I'm someone who has no real world interest in the sport and would simply be looking for a ridiculous game to enjoy during random bits of freetime. There seems to be enough that's not awesome about the game though that even superfans might not be totally into it, which makes me more wary. Maybe another $10 less and I'd be in.

I've got limited freetime though and about 3 games in my backlog so I'm probably a tougher sell than most.

That makes sense. I have no real world interest in the sport either, but that's how friends were able to get me into SSX Tricky back in the day. It, and SSX 3, were incredibly unrealistic, colorful, fun, smooth, and fast with great music and responsive controls. I found the demo to be fun and heard enough good things to convince me that it's a good entry into the series.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Karl_Boss

I picked it up today at Best Buy.

duggshammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By duggshammer

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

I picked it up today at Best Buy.

Nice, I was wondering if this was just an online-only deal. Thanks for the info.

streetninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By streetninja

@BrockNRolla: Play the demo. If you like the gameplay, I'd say buy the game if you like it and the RiderNet form of multiplayer is appealing to you.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jking47

I picked it up this last weekend, $40 is a great price. I have been loving the game so far, and the way they are handling the online is pretty great. I rarely play online games on the console anymore because of the people that usually are there (pre teens screaming racial slurs) and I work weird hours so playing with people I actually know and like is very rare. Letting them put up their scores so I can come by later that night and try to beat them is perfect for me, lets me get competitive against other real people without wanting to shove screwdrivers into my ears.

Also, do not worry about not being interested in snowboarding, it kind of doesn't matter. Its pretty much the same relationship as NFL Blitz has to football. It uses the framework, but is so insane that you don't need to like the base sport. Its a very fun game that you should pick up if you enjoy the demo. All that being said I have been a fan of the series since its debut, so if you have played previous ones and know you do not like the gameplay then its probably not for you.

RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By RubberFactory

I paid $60 and felt I got my money's worth, so 40 is a steal.

space_sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By space_sandwich

Yeah so I just played that demo for about an hour and a half. I'm thinkin' I might as well shell out the $40 for this one. Hope to see you guys on there!

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By strainedeyes

I'm thinking it's going to continue dipping in price. EA's non-major releases tend to drop in price at alarming rates.

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Fracture

Had the developers not put so many terrible (IE everything to do with the deadly descents) levels in this game I'm betting the reviews would have been better. Nothing about those levels are fun at all.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#16  Edited By mcmax3000

EA's online store had it for $40 over the weekend as well. Not sure if they still do but I jumped on it from them. If you're in Canada and are interested in that price, it's worth checking out EA's store because they offer free shipping to Canada which the rest of the US online retailers generally don't offer.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss

Tempting, but I still have way too many games to play to justify buying anything else right now.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Coafi

The game is dropping to $30 in Best Buy!!!

d0rado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By d0rado

$30 bucks on amazon right now.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TentPole

Buy it!

bigx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By bigx14

it's $30 now on amazon

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Got it, won't be able to get it for less than $30 again new for a few months at least I'm sure.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Sooty

It feels like this game came out 2 years ago, everybody was talking about it for a week and then it just seemed to vanish.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By senorfuzzeh

Crap, this was posted two weeks ago, I doubt the deals still up.

I've been wanting to buy this game for awhile now, I just don't have any money. But i found an old work check and now I have 200 dollars. :D

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By 1337W422102

So is this like Ski or Die, or something?  I've never played any of the SSX games.  I never really got into that whole polygonal EXTREEEEEEME SPORTS era, but if it's like oldschool Ski or Die, or the skiing/snowboarding equivalent of NBA Jam, I might have to check this out...
     Be right back, I'mma grab the demo.
    EDIT:
    Nevermind, the demo doesn't have a download to console link on its Xbox.com page.  Was it time-limited or online-only, or something?  The description blurb mentioned "online-capable," or something along those lines.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.