No Console version coming

#1 Edited by Lind_L_Taylor (3962 posts) -

I was pretty pissed to find out today (although the news is a 
bit old now), that there are no Console versions coming for
either STO or CO.  Cryptic postponed it. Damn you Cryptic!!!
 
They've gone the route of every other MMO that claims
there will be a console version in the future & then they
wuss out a few months after the PC release.  In the future,
if an MMO comes out & they promise it on the console,
I'm gonna wait til it gets to the console. Seeing is 
believing, after being fooled twice & being made the
fool & shaming myself.

#2 Posted by Zidd (1836 posts) -

Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription.

Online
#3 Posted by KarlPilkington (2676 posts) -
@Zidd said:
" Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription. "
#4 Posted by XenoNick (1390 posts) -
@Zidd said:
" Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription. "
#5 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -
@Zidd said:
" Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription. "
#6 Posted by Colin (707 posts) -
@Zidd said:
"Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription. "
#7 Edited by Lind_L_Taylor (3962 posts) -
@Zidd said:

" Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription. "

I think some could use Silver, which is free.  Point is: if they say they're going
to do it, then do it. Otherwise do not say it pre-release!
 
They don't even bother to fucking offer any game on the console. They still
own the IP, they could do something with it.  For instance, EVE Online is 
coming out with a console game, Dust 514, which will allow you to play the
ground combat game for the actual Online game. It's a novel idea.  I don't
understand why Cryptic can't get a fucking clue & do something about it.
 
Hell, even Fallen Earth has an iphone app for its game. And Whirld of
Warcrack is coming out with some kind of iphone app as well.  
 
The only thing for certain is that I won't be buying any of Cryptic's wares
ever again. They over-promise & under-deliver in a big way.
#8 Edited by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

The game is horrendous. If you want to buy it because it looks cool, then you'll be disappointed. If you want to buy it because you're a Star Trek fan, you'll wonder how could they screw it up so badly. It's also doing really poorly because no one is staying subscribed so it'll probably die in a year anyway.

#9 Posted by Zidd (1836 posts) -
@Metal_Mills: Just like champions.
Online
#10 Posted by CaptainObvious (2992 posts) -
@Zidd said:
" Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription. "
Cryptic said that gold members wouldn't have to pay extra subscription. 
 
Oh yeah.
#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @Zidd said:

" Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription. "

I think some could use Silver, which is free.  Point is: if they say they're going to do it, then do it. Otherwise do not say it pre-release!  They don't even bother to fucking offer any game on the console. They still own the IP, they could do something with it.  For instance, EVE Online is  coming out with a console game, Dust 514, which will allow you to play the ground combat game for the actual Online game. It's a novel idea.  I don't understand why Cryptic can't get a fucking clue & do something about it.  Hell, even Fallen Earth has an iphone app for its game. And Whirld of Warcrack is coming out with some kind of iphone app as well.    The only thing for certain is that I won't be buying any of Cryptic's wares ever again. They over-promise & under-deliver in a big way. "
STO sucks as it is. No work they can do to it can fix it. Console MMOs are stupid as well because of stated above. And no MS would not allowed people to go around their Gold and play a mmo. 
#12 Posted by Zidd (1836 posts) -
@CaptainObvious: Money to keep those servers running has to come from somewhere. I doubt Microsoft would subsidize the servers for champions online.
Online
#13 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3962 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
" The game is horrendous. If you want to buy it because it looks cool, then you'll be disappointed. If you want to buy it because you're a Star Trek fan, you'll wonder how could they screw it up so badly. It's also doing really poorly because no one is staying subscribed so it'll probably die in a year anyway. "
 
No it won't.  I've checked the forums & checked online & there
is still plenty of activity in both.  MMOs tend to have plenty of
people playing them when the release party dies down. Unlike
some multiplayer games on an Xbox which seem to die off
dramatically or never occur at all (such as the latest 
Aliens vs Predator among a ton of others).
 
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @Zidd said:

" Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription. "

I think some could use Silver, which is free.  Point is: if they say they're going to do it, then do it. Otherwise do not say it pre-release!  They don't even bother to fucking offer any game on the console. They still own the IP, they could do something with it.  For instance, EVE Online is  coming out with a console game, Dust 514, which will allow you to play the ground combat game for the actual Online game. It's a novel idea.  I don't understand why Cryptic can't get a fucking clue & do something about it.  Hell, even Fallen Earth has an iphone app for its game. And Whirld of Warcrack is coming out with some kind of iphone app as well.    The only thing for certain is that I won't be buying any of Cryptic's wares ever again. They over-promise & under-deliver in a big way. "
STO sucks as it is. No work they can do to it can fix it. Console MMOs are stupid as well because of stated above. And no MS would not allowed people to go around their Gold and play a mmo.  "
Actually there is talk of getting rid of the fucking TRON galaxy map. Lot of
people hate that & on their forums they're talking about it going away. There
are some other plans mentioned on the forum to change other things about
the game. So the game can improve. That's the thing about MMOs, they can
change things around that suck.  One thing I hope they fix is to make it work
with the Xbox controller properly at least.  You'd think these fucks could at
least do that but they haven't really messed with it.
 
@Zidd said:
" @CaptainObvious: Money to keep those servers running has to come from somewhere. I doubt Microsoft would subsidize the servers for champions online. "
 
All it means is that Cryptic gets less monthly from the console customers.
However, revenue is revenue & there are a lot of console users out 
there that would at least consider STO if it was available to them.
#14 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

You're not a missing a thing, OP.
I've played both CO and STO, and Cryptic was too incompetent to handle either of them the right way. They're both just really bad MMOs, and guess what? Cryptic is already moving on to its next crapfest MMO. Anything in the future from Cryptic you should probably just ignore, IMO.
 
Look out for FFXIV and DC Universe both of which are coming out on console. There are also a couple of other potential would-be console-friendly MMOs such as TERA and Blade and Soul. Don't know how any of them would turn out, or how good/bad they would be but they're something to keep an eye on at least if you're interested.

#15 Posted by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -

An MMO for consoles cancelled?  NEWS TO ME.

#16 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

It's always Cryptic that comes up with this "MMO's on console" scenarios. Then ditches them. I think one their reasons is because Microsoft won't allow them to have a subscription on top of the gold membership. But, for some reason you can do that with FF XI, Netflix, and the soon to be DC Universe.

#17 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -

who cares. i hear the game is horrible. Just wait for the old republic. still no console but hopefully is awesome.

#18 Posted by septim (774 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" It's always Cryptic that comes up with this "MMO's on console" scenarios. Then ditches them. I think one their reasons is because Microsoft won't allow them to have a subscription on top of the gold membership. But, for some reason you can do that with FF XI, Netflix, and the soon to be DC Universe. "
Yeah this company seems shady to me. A lot of over-promising and not delivering.
#19 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -

The game actually is quite poor (I've played it) and people should wait for a game that is better.  FF14 might be cool...
 
But yea Cryptic's problem is their MMOs keep failing before they can get around to making a console version.

#20 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -
@Fragstoff said:

" @tunaburn said:

" who cares. i hear the game is horrible. Just wait for the old republic. still no console but hopefully is awesome. "

it look way longer then I expected for someone to trash the game without playing it and tell people to wait for the Old Republic... In a thread that has nothing to do with either point.  come on guys its STO! trashing it and saying the Old Republic is awesome is what people do. ... ...because apparently they are both MMOs in space, soooo...yea! "
 i said in my post i had not played the game. but i have read dozens of reviews and none were good. not a single one. So i offered him advice to get another game instead of being upset about it. get off your high horse.
#21 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

The fact that the servers are still online for the PC version is surprising, them not releasing it on a console is not. 
#22 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -
@Fragstoff: damn right i win. cuz im smarter than you and star trek online blows
#23 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

STO is horrible. And if they want to fix it they are gonna have to invest heavily. Which is something Cryptic is not known for. 

#24 Posted by carlthenimrod (1586 posts) -

Yea, you're not missing much. I can't speak much about STO because I haven't played it, but I played a great deal of Champions Online (which I heard is pretty similar to STO) and it was a middling experience. 
 
It seems the MMO genre in general has been suffering for awhile now. I was excited about The Old Republic when I first heard about it, but the more I see it, the more I dislike it. Just seems like World of Warcraft in space which makes me want to fall asleep in my chair.

#25 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -
@Fragstoff:  well look at the other comments on here. noone likes the game. i am right. and since all i know about you is that i was right on this topic i am smarter as far as i know.  boo-ya!
#26 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@tunaburn said:
" @Fragstoff:  well look at the other comments on here. noone likes the game. i am right. and since all i know about you is that i was right on this topic i am smarter as far as i know.  boo-ya! "
No. Your just coming off as immature and stupid. 
#27 Posted by tunaburn (1879 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man:  dude calm your nerves. Its all in good fun. I dont know him of course i have no idea on his intelligence. This is a dead thread and we were having a friendly back and forth. You should just stay out cuz people that have no sense of humor and the dumbest of all.
#28 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@tunaburn said:
" @The_Laughing_Man:  dude calm your nerves. Its all in good fun. I dont know him of course i have no idea on his intelligence. This is a dead thread and we were having a friendly back and forth. You should just stay out cuz people that have no sense of humor and the dumbest of all. "
You are just trolling. Yes the game is horrible. But you are just a troll. 
#29 Posted by VACkillers (1059 posts) -
@Zidd said:
" Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription. "
 
Indeed, try selling that to the dumbass's at CCP with their dust514 project... totally silly.
#30 Posted by Zidd (1836 posts) -

PSO proves that the concept is doable. But if you are required to have XBL gold to even make an account and pay for time then your business model needs an adjustment or two.

Online
#31 Posted by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:
" An MMO for consoles cancelled?  NEWS TO ME. "
This guy knows what I'm talking about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.