Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

No Console version coming

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I was pretty pissed to find out today (although the news is a 
    bit old now), that there are no Console versions coming for
    either STO or CO.  Cryptic postponed it. Damn you Cryptic!!!

They've gone the route of every other MMO that claims
    there will be a console version in the future & then they
    wuss out a few months after the PC release.  In the future,
    if an MMO comes out & they promise it on the console,
    I'm gonna wait til it gets to the console. Seeing is 
    believing, after being fooled twice & being made the
    fool & shaming myself.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By zidd

Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By KarlPilkington
    @Zidd said:
    " Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription. "
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By XenoNick
    @Zidd said:
    " Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription. "
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Zidd said:
    Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Colin
    @Zidd said:
    "Making a console MMO is a dumb idea especially since 360 players are expected to pay for MMO playtime on top of their current Xbox Live subscription. "
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Zidd said:

I think some could use Silver, which is free.  Point is: if they say they're going
    to do it, then do it. Otherwise do not say it pre-release!

They don't even bother to fucking offer any game on the console. They still
    own the IP, they could do something with it.  For instance, EVE Online is 
    coming out with a console game, Dust 514, which will allow you to play the
    ground combat game for the actual Online game. It's a novel idea.  I don't
    understand why Cryptic can't get a fucking clue & do something about it.

Hell, even Fallen Earth has an iphone app for its game. And Whirld of
    Warcrack is coming out with some kind of iphone app as well.  

The only thing for certain is that I won't be buying any of Cryptic's wares
    ever again. They over-promise & under-deliver in a big way.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By metal_mills

The game is horrendous. If you want to buy it because it looks cool, then you'll be disappointed. If you want to buy it because you're a Star Trek fan, you'll wonder how could they screw it up so badly. It's also doing really poorly because no one is staying subscribed so it'll probably die in a year anyway.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zidd
    @Metal_Mills: Just like champions.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @Zidd said:
    Cryptic said that gold members wouldn't have to pay extra subscription. 

Oh yeah.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " @Zidd said:

I think some could use Silver, which is free.  Point is: if they say they're going to do it, then do it. Otherwise do not say it pre-release!  They don't even bother to fucking offer any game on the console. They still own the IP, they could do something with it.  For instance, EVE Online is  coming out with a console game, Dust 514, which will allow you to play the ground combat game for the actual Online game. It's a novel idea.  I don't understand why Cryptic can't get a fucking clue & do something about it.  Hell, even Fallen Earth has an iphone app for its game. And Whirld of Warcrack is coming out with some kind of iphone app as well.    The only thing for certain is that I won't be buying any of Cryptic's wares ever again. They over-promise & under-deliver in a big way. "
    STO sucks as it is. No work they can do to it can fix it. Console MMOs are stupid as well because of stated above. And no MS would not allowed people to go around their Gold and play a mmo. 
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zidd
    @CaptainObvious: Money to keep those servers running has to come from somewhere. I doubt Microsoft would subsidize the servers for champions online.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " The game is horrendous. If you want to buy it because it looks cool, then you'll be disappointed. If you want to buy it because you're a Star Trek fan, you'll wonder how could they screw it up so badly. It's also doing really poorly because no one is staying subscribed so it'll probably die in a year anyway. "

No it won't.  I've checked the forums & checked online & there
    is still plenty of activity in both.  MMOs tend to have plenty of
    people playing them when the release party dies down. Unlike
    some multiplayer games on an Xbox which seem to die off
    dramatically or never occur at all (such as the latest 
    Aliens vs Predator among a ton of others).

@The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " @Zidd said:

I think some could use Silver, which is free.  Point is: if they say they're going to do it, then do it. Otherwise do not say it pre-release!  They don't even bother to fucking offer any game on the console. They still own the IP, they could do something with it.  For instance, EVE Online is  coming out with a console game, Dust 514, which will allow you to play the ground combat game for the actual Online game. It's a novel idea.  I don't understand why Cryptic can't get a fucking clue & do something about it.  Hell, even Fallen Earth has an iphone app for its game. And Whirld of Warcrack is coming out with some kind of iphone app as well.    The only thing for certain is that I won't be buying any of Cryptic's wares ever again. They over-promise & under-deliver in a big way. "
    STO sucks as it is. No work they can do to it can fix it. Console MMOs are stupid as well because of stated above. And no MS would not allowed people to go around their Gold and play a mmo.  "
    Actually there is talk of getting rid of the fucking TRON galaxy map. Lot of
    people hate that & on their forums they're talking about it going away. There
    are some other plans mentioned on the forum to change other things about
    the game. So the game can improve. That's the thing about MMOs, they can
    change things around that suck.  One thing I hope they fix is to make it work
    with the Xbox controller properly at least.  You'd think these fucks could at
    least do that but they haven't really messed with it.

@Zidd said:
    " @CaptainObvious: Money to keep those servers running has to come from somewhere. I doubt Microsoft would subsidize the servers for champions online. "

All it means is that Cryptic gets less monthly from the console customers.
    However, revenue is revenue & there are a lot of console users out 
    there that would at least consider STO if it was available to them.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SlasherMan

You're not a missing a thing, OP.
    I've played both CO and STO, and Cryptic was too incompetent to handle either of them the right way. They're both just really bad MMOs, and guess what? Cryptic is already moving on to its next crapfest MMO. Anything in the future from Cryptic you should probably just ignore, IMO.

Look out for FFXIV and DC Universe both of which are coming out on console. There are also a couple of other potential would-be console-friendly MMOs such as TERA and Blade and Soul. Don't know how any of them would turn out, or how good/bad they would be but they're something to keep an eye on at least if you're interested.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By rjayb89

An MMO for consoles cancelled?  NEWS TO ME.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ch13696

It's always Cryptic that comes up with this "MMO's on console" scenarios. Then ditches them. I think one their reasons is because Microsoft won't allow them to have a subscription on top of the gold membership. But, for some reason you can do that with FF XI, Netflix, and the soon to be DC Universe.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tunaburn

who cares. i hear the game is horrible. Just wait for the old republic. still no console but hopefully is awesome.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By septim
    @ch13696 said:
    " It's always Cryptic that comes up with this "MMO's on console" scenarios. Then ditches them. I think one their reasons is because Microsoft won't allow them to have a subscription on top of the gold membership. But, for some reason you can do that with FF XI, Netflix, and the soon to be DC Universe. "
    Yeah this company seems shady to me. A lot of over-promising and not delivering.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Diamond

The game actually is quite poor (I've played it) and people should wait for a game that is better.  FF14 might be cool...

But yea Cryptic's problem is their MMOs keep failing before they can get around to making a console version.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tunaburn
    @Fragstoff said:

" @tunaburn said:

" who cares. i hear the game is horrible. Just wait for the old republic. still no console but hopefully is awesome. "

it look way longer then I expected for someone to trash the game without playing it and tell people to wait for the Old Republic... In a thread that has nothing to do with either point.  come on guys its STO! trashing it and saying the Old Republic is awesome is what people do. ... ...because apparently they are both MMOs in space, soooo...yea! "
     i said in my post i had not played the game. but i have read dozens of reviews and none were good. not a single one. So i offered him advice to get another game instead of being upset about it. get off your high horse.
    LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By LiquidS

The fact that the servers are still online for the PC version is surprising, them not releasing it on a console is not. 
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tunaburn
    @Fragstoff: damn right i win. cuz im smarter than you and star trek online blows
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

STO is horrible. And if they want to fix it they are gonna have to invest heavily. Which is something Cryptic is not known for. 

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By carlthenimrod

Yea, you're not missing much. I can't speak much about STO because I haven't played it, but I played a great deal of Champions Online (which I heard is pretty similar to STO) and it was a middling experience. 

It seems the MMO genre in general has been suffering for awhile now. I was excited about The Old Republic when I first heard about it, but the more I see it, the more I dislike it. Just seems like World of Warcraft in space which makes me want to fall asleep in my chair.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tunaburn
    @Fragstoff:  well look at the other comments on here. noone likes the game. i am right. and since all i know about you is that i was right on this topic i am smarter as far as i know.  boo-ya!
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @tunaburn said:
    " @Fragstoff:  well look at the other comments on here. noone likes the game. i am right. and since all i know about you is that i was right on this topic i am smarter as far as i know.  boo-ya! "
    No. Your just coming off as immature and stupid. 
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tunaburn
    @The_Laughing_Man:  dude calm your nerves. Its all in good fun. I dont know him of course i have no idea on his intelligence. This is a dead thread and we were having a friendly back and forth. You should just stay out cuz people that have no sense of humor and the dumbest of all.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @tunaburn said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  dude calm your nerves. Its all in good fun. I dont know him of course i have no idea on his intelligence. This is a dead thread and we were having a friendly back and forth. You should just stay out cuz people that have no sense of humor and the dumbest of all. "
    You are just trolling. Yes the game is horrible. But you are just a troll. 
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By VACkillers
    @Zidd said:

Indeed, try selling that to the dumbass's at CCP with their dust514 project... totally silly.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zidd

PSO proves that the concept is doable. But if you are required to have XBL gold to even make an account and pay for time then your business model needs an adjustment or two.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By rjayb89
    @rjayb89 said:
    " An MMO for consoles cancelled?  NEWS TO ME. "
    This guy knows what I'm talking about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.