Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

Worth buying a ththis point in time?

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Ryax

Hey just wanted to get a giantbomb collective vote as to whether or not its worth jumping into now or not. i see its 20 on steam and was some what interested when it came out. 

so, is it worth it or is it not? 

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Jedted

How much do you love Star Trek? 
    TheRemedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheRemedy

It's real cheap and it's fun for a few weeks. I say give it a go. No one on giantbomb plays anymore so I wouldn't expect an invite to the lobsters.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I wonder how Jeff is holding up.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Shadow
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " I wonder how Jeff is holding up. "
    Don't think he's played since the game came out.  Same with Super Street Fighter 4, actually.  Wtf is up with that, anyway?
    Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

I thought the set phasers for fun videos were great, but it looked like every other kind of mmo.  I don't think it'd be worht it, but I'm disillusioned with any mmo.

@Shadow:
    Jeff is too busy playing games to enjoying playing the same games.  He pretty much allots himself a certain amount of time for a game when it comes out and when that's up he has to move on to the next hot release.  That's just how it is covering games, he spends the rest of his time tubin on his birthday.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Shadow
    @AlwaysBeClothing said:
    " I thought the set phasers for fun videos were great, but it looked like every other kind of mmo.  I don't think it'd be worht it, but I'm disillusioned with any mmo.

@Shadow: Jeff is too busy playing games to enjoying playing the same games.  He pretty much allots himself a certain amount of time for a game when it comes out and when that's up he has to move on to the next hot release.  That's just how it is covering games, he spends the rest of his time tubin on his birthday. "
    It's different when he spent over $300 on one game, and the other was his most anticipated game of 2010
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Ryax

so i guess the vibe im getting is that its probably not worth it anymore.. oh well. 

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I'm not sure. They're holding a welcome back weekend for people with retail serial keys. So I'll play it for tree for the weekend and get back to ya with an opinion. Haven't seen it since my first month went out after release so it's been a while.

But I'd say if you can get it real cheap, you can have pretty fun while leveling up and try behaviors of the ships, but only to that extent. Wasn't much that drew me to go on after that.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Ryax said:
    " so i guess the vibe im getting is that its probably not worth it anymore.. oh well.  "
    The game was never worth it sadly. 
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Jost1

It's a really disappointing game overall. Space combat is cool but the rest is bad bad BAD.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By PhatSeeJay

So I reached max level on the first month at release and stopped playing. I now returned in the welcome back free to play weekend they had. And I maxed leveled again in the time period of two days or something.
    So now my space dwarf is level Vice Admiral and sporting the spiffy uniform that Admiral Quinn fella's wearing. Though I have zero interest in paying for more now.

Despite now having my retrofitted Galaxy star ship that can do saucer separation!

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By VACkillers

As i've been a big star trek fan for a long time i think this game absolutely rocks, it can only get better and better with each new content they keep adding, i think the gameplay, the space and ground stuff is very well done, the interface is very nice, graphics are as what you'd expect from a newer online tittle, amazing! It seems to grab a lot of elements from a lot of other different mmo's like perhaps the wow/guild wars on ground battlers and missions, while being quietly close to how eve-online plays in space, with enough originality to distiguish itself from all the other mmos. On a personal level, my only gripe with this game, is the C-store items, after buying a game and "then" paying a monthly fee ontop of that, the last thing a lot of people will want, is to have to spend a lot of real money to get some of the nice extra items, 20 bucks for the dread ship for example (or 2000 points from the C-store) is a bit much to say the least. They have some really kool stuff in the c-store, but only really the die-hard fans of star trek will ever get all of that stuff really.  Theres just no jusiforcation to make players spend even more money just to get a couple additional items or ships, i really hope they dont start making EVERYTHING in the game C-store only because games that have items you have to pay for, generally have no subscription fee attached aswell.

Is it worth getting and playing? absolutely, this game offers a hell of a lot of fun, its definitely casual which i absolutely love after some a-holes and the intensity you get on games like EVE-online this is a very nice change os pace and its in the STO universe which is frakking awesome. The game hasn't been out that long yet, its getting better by the month as cryptic keep on adding stuff, if you worried that you'll be bored with the gaming after leveling so fast, there is still a lot of stuff to do, collecting up all the RARE items to get the most out of every ship you have will definitely TAKE TIME, there is also the pvp side of things which im sure they will be adding a LOT of content for at some point, running through the game with different characters, and different classes add a LOT of different game play styles so you can always create new class's of chars to keep you occupied while new content is worked on...

Just my review of the game so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.