Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Battlefront

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 17, 2015

Large-scale infantry Star Wars battles return in this reboot of the Star Wars: Battlefront series (from the studio behind the Battlefield series).

There will only be 4 Walker Assault maps.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Hayt

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/653701089129172992

Does this strike anyone else as insanely slim? Considering that there are no mixed matchmaking queues or servers this means if you play Walker Assault it'll be the same 4 maps every time.

This combined with the 50 USD season pass has left a bit of a bitter taste. How do you guys feel about it?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

Doesn't really seem all that slim to me. This is the downside of having so many modes with their own unique maps.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@hayt: Hmm, I'm ok with that, as long as the other modes are quite fun and they do not reuse the layouts of the Walker Assault maps.

While Drop Zone can be fun, it feels like it's just there to help you get some unlocks before getting to play the "real" game. If the other modes also feel like afterthoughts or preludes, we may have a problem on our hands.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By conmulligan

It'll only be a problem if Walker Assault becomes the de-facto default game mode. Hopefully the rest of the game is good enough to prevent that from happening.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

This seems about right to me, considering that it's just one mode. We'll see.

This kind of unknown this close to release is one of the many reasons I don't preorder games, with very few exceptions. I know Origin has a decent refund policy, but I'm still waiting.

SuperFusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's only one of the many modes. 4 maps at release seems totally fine.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hayt

While the assessment that it's one mode out of 9 is true I think it is absolutely set to become the defacto mode. In my experience over time most modes dry up leaving the top few. This is particularly exaserbated by matchmaking (if a mode's queue is too long less people will queue making it longer etc). In my region (Oceania) it's worse for this sort of thing. Walker Assault or maybe Supremacy are the modes primed to be the defacto modes because not only are they large they are the only modes with the full Star Wars experience ie. X-wings, TIEs, Skywalker family reunion etc. None of the other modes have all that so unless one is fucking Counter Strike levels of excellent I'm betting these are the two to end up lasting.

If we had server control I'd live happily in a mixed mode of these two (8 maps all up is much healthier) or even a "Large Mode" playlist. As it stands you'd have to leap between mode and while that'll be fine for launch it might not last so well: ask any Aussies who liked Titanfall CTF mode how it was going 4 months in.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By a_e_martin

Only 4? I thought it was just going to be Hoth! And I would have been happy with that.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I totally thought that Hoth was going to be the only Walker map and that the brown planet map would be the only drop pod one. There's a lot of modes in this game, for all of them to have a map or two seems perfectly fine, for Walker mode to get 4 I'm totally fine with. Hell I could play Hoth endlessly and be happy.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Kinda with everyone on this. 1. That seems like an ok number to start with for one mode. And 2, walker assault is really cool and wouldn't work on just any map, it seems like it needs to be built for it so I would rather have that than it just shoehorned into it. I agree, I hope the other modes are as varied but this seems totally ok with me

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Four maps sounds fine. I think they expect you to break up playing this and the big Battlefield style 'Supremacy' mode with playing the other modes. I guess we won't know until it comes out but this game doesn't seem slim on content overall.

Although it does still weird me out seeing season passes that are close to the cost of the base game but that's nothing new.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By AlexW00d

@paulmako said:

Although it does still weird me out seeing season passes that are close to the cost of the base game but that's nothing new.

Over here the main game is £50, 25% more than normal console price, and the season pass is £40. This is the same on PC too where the normal price of a full size game is £30. :(

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm more than okay with 4 maps, but yes, the season pass is too pricey as it always is for games like this.

Only 4? I thought it was just going to be Hoth! And I would have been happy with that.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought too. Hoth alone is already great in my opinion and I easily played 10-15 hours on that map in the beta.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Considering there a quite a few other modes, I'd say 4 is more than reasonable.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with the sentiment that it seems fine since it comes with so many other modes. But as others have also noted, it depends on if it ends up being the default choice for people. Because right now in the beta with only two modes, Drop Zone sometimes runs with half filled servers while Walker Assault is always full. I think the issue right now is that they've made modes with varying sizes of participants. If all modes are fun in their own way, I kind of wish they created a rotating playlist with all the modes. But that might not be feasible since some of those modes might not work as well if you had the same amount of people in all of them.

And I would kind of hate it if more unique varieties that fit Star Wars a lot suffer because everyone is doing a worn out team death match variety.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I didn't really like Walker Assault, I want to play conquest-esque modes on large maps.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pezen said:

And I would kind of hate it if more unique varieties that fit Star Wars a lot suffer because everyone is doing a worn out team death match variety.

That's a big fear of mine when it comes to games like this long term. In my region literally the only mode you can play in Titanfall is Attrition which is in my opinion the most boring mode. Thankfully with Battlefront unless I am totally misjudging the game the most popular modes do seem like the ones I most like (Rush/Conquest types).

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hatking

Same boat. I love Hoth as a concept, and this version seems pretty damn good. It's one of those things that I wouldn't mind replaying lots and lots. A bunch of maps with that mode is really interesting, but I'm actually a lot more weary of the mode getting stale than the maps.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rethla

To be clear is "Walker assault" gonna be the exact same thing as the hoth battle but with different ground textures? Like always 2 walkers comming and the Rebels trying to protect some commstations. If thats the case then im fine with 4 Walker assaults and i would be fine with it being only Hoth aswell. I though there where gonna be different unique 40 player scenarios but if its all just the same Walker battles its a bummer.

At least it explains why Luke has that black dress becouse its probably an identical walker assault setup at endor.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4's a good number better to have bespoke maps than one size fits all ala rush BF4, Conquest (supremacy) is gonna be Battlefront's most popular game mode.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more annoyed about no voice chat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Considering I thought the game had only 1 map per big mode I'm pretty happy.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa said:

I didn't really like Walker Assault, I want to play conquest-esque modes on large maps.

The supremacy mode is a 20v20 game type that involves capturing control points. I expect that to be the equivalent to conquest in the same way that Walker Assualt is comparable to Rush.

I'm okay with the 4 maps for Walker Assault, assuming that the free December update that acts as a tie-in to the new movie adds an additional map to the mode.

I'd also be happy to get the season pass if it meant the addition of a new planet per dlc, spread across a handful of maps for each game type. As opposed to some game types being left in the dust as they design maps that only apply to more popular modes.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I'm perfectly fine with this, as I'm sure there will be new maps released down the line. Moreover, when you consider that the only three maps that people ever really played in Battlefield 2 were Strike at Karkand, Dragon Valley, and Sharqi Peninsula (the three most popular pre-expansions), people can be MORE than satisfied with three maps IF THEY ARE DESIGNED WELL.

I think the Hoth map is incredibly well-designed, so if that same level of polish is being applied across the board, then I'm all good.

Meanwhile, if they are all basically "Gold Rush mode with walkers," then I'm still all good.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Doesn't really seem all that slim to me. This is the downside of having so many modes with their own unique maps.

Yeah. There are a bunch of other modes. It's just one of the objective type modes.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was just Hoth and Endor, this is fine.

Jellybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa said:

The supremacy mode is a 20v20 game type that involves capturing control points. I expect that to be the equivalent to conquest in the same way that Walker Assualt is comparable to Rush.

I'm okay with the 4 maps for Walker Assault, assuming that the free December update that acts as a tie-in to the new movie adds an additional map to the mode.

I'd also be happy to get the season pass if it meant the addition of a new planet per dlc, spread across a handful of maps for each game type. As opposed to some game types being left in the dust as they design maps that only apply to more popular modes.

As long as most of the maps are 20v20 and map rotations can/will include multiple game types, then that sounds good to me.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's twice as many as I expected there to be.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

That seems fine to me tbh. I'm just interested in at the total content in the game with only 4 planets.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By csl316

Same here, this thread was a pleasant surprise. Figured each of the modes shown in the beta just had one map tied in.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hayt

I'm kind of amazed anyone thought there would be only one map for this mode. When BF3 showed Metro did you assume that was the only Rush map? Or that TF2 only has one Payload map? Having maps designed for specific modes doesn't normally result in a number as low as four.

Maybe DotA's one map thing has made people crazy. As to the comment that Battlefield games normally ended up with 4 very popular maps that everyone played that's true. However those were the best maps out of 10 on offer. I think it's slightly naive to assume that by only having 4 they will be just be the 4 best.

I am glad people seem ok with this but after BC2 with 11 great Rush maps I don't really buy the notion that crafting maps to mode is so complex that we end up with 4.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This pleases me.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, don't forget that there are already four expansion packs confirmed for Battlefront, as well as a $50 Season Pass. Who knows what those are going to be like.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The four confirmed expansion packs AREN'T the Season Pass?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarnecki: @mike: they are absolutely the same thing. The only thing you don't get if you buy them individually is a "Shot First" emote

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mike

@sarnecki said:

The four confirmed expansion packs AREN'T the Season Pass?

@hayt said:

@sarnecki: @mike: they are absolutely the same thing. The only thing you don't get if you buy them individually is a "Shot First" emote

I didn't say that they were different...maybe my post could have been more clear, but I thought it was just common knowledge that the initially announced expansions packs are customarily what is included with season passes. Of course, this can all be found on the official Battlefront site or with a simple Google search as well.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Honkalot

@csl316 said:
    @a_e_martin said:

Same here, this thread was a pleasant surprise. Figured each of the modes shown in the beta just had one map tied in.

Same for me. Four seems like a bunch.

Edit: I didn't play BF4 but if you compare to BF3 weren't most of the Rush maps just scaled down and redesigned smaller areas contained in the conquest maps? For instance Metro. I always saw conquest as the de facto mode in BF3.

sirkibble23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By sirkibble23

It's only one mode of the game. Doesn't seem all that bad. Matches can last around 15 minutes, so I think it's a healthy amount.

Edit:

@honkalot said:
    @csl316 said:
    @a_e_martin said:

Same for me. Four seems like a bunch.

Edit: I didn't play BF4 but if you compare to BF3 weren't most of the Rush maps just scaled down and redesigned smaller areas contained in the conquest maps? For instance Metro. I always saw conquest as the de facto mode in BF3.

They were scaled down and it's entirely possible that could happen in Battlefront with smaller versions of the Walker Assault maps. I'm not sure if I'd be disappointed with that.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

4 seems fine for that mode. That's kinda how it has to be when you have unique maps for specific modes, right? It's not even the most fun mode, to be honest (Or at least on Hoth, as the balance seems super harsh in that mode).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.